The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:09 AM   #751
EricFG

Re: How to display Soviet awards

Quote:
Originally Posted by devalcourt View Post
The six pocket sleeves work well enough for now to hold medals so that I can look at front and back (or just remove them). You have to watch putting the binders flat because smaller IDs and the medals at the tops of pages tend to want to fall out when turning pages,
I know, that's a pain in the butt. I wish there was a little button on the top to help keep them closed.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #752
kiwiussr

I store and will display my awards in the frames in the pictures

please find several groups posted

the cases are great for storing awards as they come in a variety of sizes, are foam backed and have a glass front

kiwi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07873.jpg (62.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07876.jpg (120.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07878.jpg (93.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07953.jpg (121.2 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by CtahhR; 06-09-2014 at 02:57 PM.
kiwiussr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #753
EricFG

Nice stuff mate!
D'you, uh, have an OG obsession by chance?

Never hurts to be focused. Excellent collection, thanks for sharing.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #754
deValcourt

Very nice set up indeed. I've got a couple of smaller groups set up of badges that I'm picking up shadow boxes for this week.

The question is, once you close the glass, how often are you tempted to open it up again to "have a closer look" when you find out something new about a variation you might not even know you have, but think you do?

And what about the medals that just have a great face and reverse? I guess I'll just have to buy two of everthing! For example, I saw you had two of the post 1991 Maintaining Public Order medals. I would have to turn one of them around (unless they are different types) - like many people who received them did - just to show off the excellent work on the reverse.

Oh it never ends...But that's why the badges are easier. There's generally not much to see on the back once you've authenticated them.

Again, great arrangement and wow, do you like the Glory? But like Eric said, it's good to have a focus.

And guys, I promise to put up pictures soon!

Well done,
Phillip

I promised to take "before" photos of orders medals and badges as they are right now and send them in. Tomorrow (today) I plan on taking all of the shadow boxes and other things to make the displays a permanent deal. The picture of the orders and medals (yes, the orders of Lenin and Courage and HSU and Gold Medal H&S are reproductions and orders of Friendship and Service to the Motherland 3rd are on their way along with a few other new pieces (tax refund for once ).

Nothing is set in place yet because I have to re-group them in separate cases. Please ignore the repro KGB and NKVD badge - but the border guard 60and 70th anniversary - 75th too? - are real.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7221.jpg (52.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7222.jpg (52.3 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by CtahhR; 06-09-2014 at 02:57 PM.
deValcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:48 AM   #755
deValcourt

Here are some more of that same case. I don't know how many will fit in a single posting so keep following if you wish.
The last pic here is of my "crown jewels" - at least until I have the orders I am waiting on. They came back with me from Moscow before the laws about soviet items. The PGU (First Chief Directorate) is on the left and its new and independent form as the SVR is on the right. Feel free to ask me anything you want to about them other than where I got them. As for everything else, comments and/or questions would be appreciated.

There's more, if you're still interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7223.jpg (51.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7225.jpg (52.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7228.jpg (50.6 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by deValcourt; 05-10-2009 at 03:31 AM.
deValcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:02 AM   #756
deValcourt

I know it is criminal to have them in such disarray, but all will be well soon - I promise.
Remember, there are a couple of repros in the case that fell and knocked them all over - Courage, Hero and Lenin.

Just one more to show how Eric's 3-ring binder idea worked out (briefly).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7241.jpg (48.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7232.jpg (50.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7231.jpg (49.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 05-10-2009, 03:25 AM   #757
deValcourt

Here's where all the other medals are kept now and different binders for the documents. Thanks again Eric. (I don't think the document binders will change other than some sort of colorful soviet cover and spine markings.

So stay tuned for the results of this daring attempt to organize a mess of things. I'll post pics of them as each one is completed.

The first pic is of a 2.5" binder packed through with medals and orders awaiting display. The second pic is an MGB document (I honestly just got it today and haven't read it yet so if someone can read it from the picture and save me some time, please feel free) and the third has at least two ID's I'm certain are real - upper right and lower left (but I forget which republic it is from - Azerbaijan - a little help would be appreciated) and the upper left is a balcony ticket to an NKGB function that a friend of mine thought I might want for my collection.

Well, until tonight when I hope to have some re-working finished...

Take care,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7234.jpg (47.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7236.jpg (45.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7237.jpg (49.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-10-2009, 03:35 AM   #758
Alfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiussr View Post
a couple more groups
the cases are great for storing awards as they come in a variety of sizes, are foam backed and have a glass front

kiwi
It seems to be that you like the Order of Glory

Where do you get this cases? Internet adress?

regards
Andreas
Alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:00 AM   #759
EricFG

Wow, lotsa nice stuff there Phillip! That's gonna take a lot of time and motivation to get finished. But when you get done the results are going to be very satisfying.
And thanjks for the "before" pictures. I like works in progress and since it's so slow here at the moment it will be a cool thread to follow.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:05 AM   #760
EricFG

Quote:
The question is, once you close the glass, how often are you tempted to open it up again to "have a closer look" when you find out something new about a variation you might not even know you have, but think you do?
Very often. Make the mounts easily removable.

Quote:
And what about the medals that just have a great face and reverse?
How about a high quality scan of the reverse mounted next to the medal? I've recommended this for documents that shouldn't be out in the UV light.
Also, if I had a printer that actually worked I'd make creative scans to put on the binder covers/spines to jazz them up.