The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 03-04-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
Stepanovich

Broken Group

I am posting this in the hope that I can make someone's day.

I was recently reading David Schwind's excellent book "No Deed Forgotten" and I came across something that made me sit up and take notice.

On page 122 of his book, I read of the exploits of Nikolai Alexandrovich Bochko. He was recommended for the OGPWII. (If the description of his actions was accurate, he deserved more) He did not receive the OGPWII, but was downgraded to the ORS. The reason that I know this, is because I have all of his paperwork, but not his two orders!

Whoever has the ORS, had it researched and it eventually made it's way into David's book. They did not use the order booklet for the research, because I have had it for years, along with the payment coupon booklet, 9 medals awarded to Bochko, and their corresponding citations.

If anyone reading this, has the ORS along with his 1985 OGPWII, please contact me. In an effort to re-unite this group, I would be happy to purchase the orders, or as an option, I would be willing to sell everything I have at a reasonable price, all in order to put it all back together.

I find it amazing to discover the twists and turns these groups can take and hopefully find their way back together. The serial number of the Red Star in question is #1040523.

Steve Stepan
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Have you entered the data in the serial number database 2.0 (blue, horizontal button at the top, center right of your screen)? This is your best bet of making a reunion.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #3
Stepanovich

Hi Paul,
No, I haven't yet. I agreed with Art that I probably should do that eventually. But I'm hoping that someone might recognize the name and realize that they have the order in question, since they had it researched.

If others are like me, they have dozens of nice orders without booklets, not researched, since, apparently it can no longer be done without the booklet. This one was done in the day when an order alone without the booklet was enough and could be researched.

All the others in my possession, are anonymous and unfortunately, are likely to remain that way.

Steve
Old 03-04-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
Kirchgoens

Get it into SNDB...!

Maybe someone has his awards, but doesn't know it. Get those serial numbers (both those that you want, and those that you have) into SNDB. You may be able to join groups. If the data doesn't get entered by ALL members of the forum, then the whole concept begins to fail.

I religiously enter all the numbered military awards in my collection, and also any missing as "W" as I get research done or pick up orphaned documents. I hope the rest of you also do the same...
Old 03-04-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
Stepanovich

Kirchgoens,

OK, I've entered the data.

I hope that once Dave returns from sea duty, he will actually have information available as to where he got the research for that page of his book and will pass my email on to that party.

Since this was more than just a blind shot in the meantime, I hope the owner of the researched order will come across this posting.
Steve
Old 03-05-2008, 06:58 AM   #6
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Kirchgoens and I are success stories, we actually did reunite a group.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
Auke

Some researchers can by research by S/N only, the booklet isn't necessary. That way, theoretically it is possible to research even without the actual award OR the booklet - simply submit a randon S/N for research.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #8
Stepanovich

Haven't met those researchers
Old 03-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
EricFG

Steve, I assume you've tried contacting David (or his publisher) and had no luck?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:56 PM   #10
Stepanovich

Eric,
Dave is apparently away at sea duty. He is the obvious source to determine the owner of the ORS. Someone had the research done from the serial number, as I mentioned above, since I have all the paperwork.

Dave was the first person I contacted before posting here. I asked him to pass along my email to the ower if he still had the contact information in his database.
Steve