The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 03-22-2004, 09:49 AM   #131
Dolf

Leo,

I entirely subscribe Eric's point

Btw, when you'll consider selling your collection put me in second in the list...

Dolf
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2004, 11:48 AM   #132
Market Garden

QUOTE=Taz]... "I just liked the idea of presenting Orders in this way and was wondering what you all think." [/QUOTE]

Hi Taz:

IMO I find the oversize ribbon a bit busy and distracting from the awards, which should be the main focus. The background should add to and not take away from the display. I would prefer a deep (dark) red cloth background or a teal (bluish-green) which would simulate the color of the parade uniform.

John

Last edited by Market Garden; 03-22-2004 at 02:25 PM.
Market Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:28 PM   #133
Dolf

Patrik,

Here are some pics of the binders I use for storing my Docs, in plastic sheets of different sizes and formats: 2 pockets, 4 pockets, 1 pocket, depending on the kind of Doc. I guess it's the same type of those Shawn also uses.
I hope it helps.

Best.

Dolf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_0060.jpg (38.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Resized 0061.jpg (45.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Resized 0062.jpg (47.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Resized 0063.jpg (46.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 03-22-2004, 02:01 PM   #134
Tretov

Dolf,
that looks exactly like the system I use now. The only thing that differs is the colour of the folder, mine is black

Thanks all for the ideas and advices!

I use black coloured felt for my award display. I used red earlier, but since many Soviet awards include red colour, I got the feeling that it all melted together into a red blur

So I made a new one with black felt, and it looks great, great contrast between the background and the awards.

Last edited by CtahhR; 10-18-2019 at 11:05 PM.
Tretov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:53 PM   #135
LeoAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolkin
Leo,
Seriously though, you are right there can be 1000s of dollars' worth of items in one case. However, it is up to you to choose what you display to the public versus your "circle of trust" folks.
I reckon any Red Star or even GPW type 3 looks expensive for a complete stranger to think it is worth a lot to break into and steal it. And I am sure you won't be rearranging your display according to the people who will be visiting your house.

Quote:
Many of us keep the "Crown Jewels" in the bank (literally).
Crown Jewels - for you it'll be Suvorov 1, for someone else it might be Nevsky. So, the question is why buy Suvorov 1 if you can't display it. Basically part of your collection is doomed to be hidden somewhere.
I do hear you, use your own personal judgement what to display.

Quote:
On an off-chance that this is making you want to sell, contact me please.
Or if you decide to sell that '130-pound Rottweiler ', let me know as well!
LeoAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 10:53 PM   #136
Dolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretov
Dolf,
that looks exactly like the system I use now. The only thing that differs is the colour of the folder, mine is black

/Patrik
Patrik,

You are not talking about the one from your little clip, right? It's a new binder you have now, right?
The one from your clip is simply overcharged anyway.
No way you can make a camel pass through the hole of a needle, that's pretty obvious

Best,

Dolf
Old 03-24-2004, 04:11 AM   #137
Tretov

Yes, I was a bit inexact, this is what I mean:

"That looks exactly like the new system that I use now, a large folder with large plastic pockets, like the ones on your photos"
Tretov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 09:38 AM   #138
HuliganRS

Personally I do not believe in "hiding" "my" awards. I display my medals and orders on a flag in my room. I do have a few boxes where I store awards by type and variation but there's at least one representation piece that hangs on the flag.

This hobby can make anyone paranoid especially if you have polkovodets awards... If you consider someone having: Suvorov 2 & 3, Khmelnitsky 2 & 3, Kutuzov 2 & 3; That's around $15,000 worth of awards just hanging on a wall !!! What about people that have that + Nakhimov, Ushakov and 1st class awards like some forum members!!!

Scary...

Rusty.
Member #193
HuliganRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:15 PM   #139
new world

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuliganRS
...This hobby can make anyone paranoid especially if you have polkovodets awards... If you consider someone having: Suvorov 2 & 3, Khmelnitsky 2 & 3, Kutuzov 2 & 3; That's around $15,000 worth of awards just hanging on a wall !!! What about people that have that + Nakhimov, Ushakov and 1st class awards like some forum members!!!

Scary...

Rusty.
Well, here's a solution:

some of those people display high-quality copies of top military orders (polkovodzi) and keep real ones away in the safe place ...
new world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 04:16 PM   #140
HuliganRS

To me that's not a solution. What's the point of displaying a copy when you have the real deal!?!

I can see using a copy as a space filler or for uniform display...

Oh well, that's just me!

Rusty.
Member #193
HuliganRS is offline   Reply With Quote