The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Soviet Sphere > Democratic Republic Of Afghanistan > Afghan Orders

Old 07-25-2005, 02:31 PM   #11
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Dat,
Thanks for the update. These medals are much more common in Russia/Ukraine - I'm guessing where they were probably minted. The prices are a different matter. I've seen what I would consider ridiculous prices asked for these awards and I think the market is rather immature since I don't think many collect them. Thus, when someone asks hundreds of dollars for an Order of Star, you never really know how many (if any) were actually sold at that price. An open auction on this forum would be a better indicator than websites.
desantnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2005, 03:39 PM   #12
DutchBoy

Dat,

Thanks for posting such a nice set! If you wouldn't mind sharing with us, how much did you pay for those three? It obviously took some time to get a hold of them.

p.s. Be careful out there!!
Old 07-25-2005, 04:14 PM   #13
Dat Nguyen

Prices

I spent $100 for the set. I also purchased a few more items from this vendor that I will be posting within the next week or so. Unfortunately, this vendor knows that I am a captive buyer so haggling over prices with this guy isn't good.

There aren't too much info of these medals and not too many collectors in this field. I figure I will grab as many as I can before they start faking these medals/orders too. I won't make the same mistakes like I did with the Russian medals/orders when they were plentiful and inexpensive. Would you believe that I actually walked away from a Hero of the Soviet Union because the guy wanted $700 for it??? :cry: :cry: :cry: It was 1992 and I didn't know anything about collecting in this area.

OK, I must go and cry myself to sleep now.

Dat
Dat Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 02:51 PM   #14
Dolf

Dat,

WOW! Excellent deal indeed! :eek:
I wish I had got my Afghani pieces for that price, unfortunately I got mine with no information whatsoever about an average price (in the West) and I bought them in Portugal rather than at the source :(

Still looking for a 3rd Class Type 2 though!

Happy hunting,

Quote:
Originally Posted by desantnik
Dat,
Thanks for the update. These medals are much more common in Russia/Ukraine - I'm guessing where they were probably minted. The prices are a different matter. I've seen what I would consider ridiculous prices asked for these awards and I think the market is rather immature since I don't think many collect them. Thus, when someone asks hundreds of dollars for an Order of Star, you never really know how many (if any) were actually sold at that price. An open auction on this forum would be a better indicator than websites.
Paul,

I hope my previous post to Dat clarifies the question about the price I asked for those Orders of Star!
I guess that we also don't pay in Europe or the USA, even from the cheapest serious dealers, the Soviet or the Mongolian or any other Medals we buy here, at the same price they bought them, and even less at the price they originally costed at the sources...
The price I asked for those items can't be used as a reference, for the reasons mentioned on my post to Dat. My prices took in consideration the price I paid for those items and the only reference I had, from similar items being sold by that well known NJ dealer.
Just my two cents...

Btw, I can't find my post on the For Sale section anymore! I guess it was either deleted or simply vanished!

Best,

Dolf
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:29 AM   #15
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Dolf - sent PM. I wasn't criticizing specifically YOUR pieces, just making an observation on the general market. I think there are very few people collecting Afghan items and the supply side is rather large for the prices sellers are asking. A test is to ask a seller if he would purchase one of your extra pieces at 50% his asking price. If he balks, it's a good sign the prices are inflated.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:59 AM   #16
DutchBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by desantnik
Dolf - sent PM. I wasn't criticizing specifically YOUR pieces, just making an observation on the general market. I think there are very few people collecting Afghan items and the supply side is rather large for the prices sellers are asking. A test is to ask a seller if he would purchase one of your extra pieces at 50% his asking price. If he balks, it's a good sign the prices are inflated.
That's a very good tip, Desantnik! Just don't make this Afghan thread too interesting.....I'm collecting too many other countries already!! :rolleyes:
Old 01-14-2007, 05:14 AM   #17
desantnik
Forum Moderator

In regards to our discussion of the immature Afghan market, availability, quantity of collectors, and pricing - for comparison sake, an Order of the Star 3 Class sold on Ebay yesterday, 13 JAN 07 for $150. I would have never guessed it would go for that much. Maybe I'm out of touch and/or need to start selling off some of my Afghan stuff...

A noted dealer sells them for $160 and $230 for the earlier type.

What are your opinions?
Old 01-14-2007, 07:42 PM   #18
Nota Bene

Desantnik,

I sold one about two months ago for 60 or 70 bucks.

Alexei
Nota Bene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:35 PM   #19
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Now to me, that seems more realistic.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:04 AM   #20
Felix

Here's my 3rd class (1980-1987), just received, thanks Paul ;)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg afgetoile3.jpg (49.4 KB, 16 views)
Felix is offline   Reply With Quote