The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 10-15-2003, 08:42 PM   #21
wheats101

Art (& moderators),
You have certainly created something for which you should be proud! I have participated in similar military forums but none come close to this one for professionalism & depth of knowledge.

David
wheats101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2003, 01:41 AM   #22
otlichnik

Art created it and some of us moderate it but the key is that we now have over 400 members with all of your experience and ideas!! The more the merrier.

Shawn
otlichnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 04:22 AM   #23
vikingraider1

I have to agree and not being a real medal collector (uniforms is my thing) this forum is great too. The level of knowledge is excellent and the level of professionalism is also good too when compared to other forums.

Long may we reign...!
"We can truly say that the whole circuit of the earth is girdled with the graves of our dead... and, in the course of my pilgrimage, I have many times asked myself whether there can be more potent advocates of peace upon earth through the years to come, than this massed multitude of silent witnesses to the desolation of war."

King George V, Flanders, 1922
vikingraider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 02:39 AM   #24
Christophe

As a reminder for those who were already Members of the Forum in May 2002 :
I discovered this thread in browsing the Forum : it was the good old days, when Tal and Art were celebrating the... 1000th message !!

http://soviet-awards.addr.com/forum/...=&threadid=195

Now, how many posts ? : close to 20,000 !!
Another proof of this Forum's success, in less than 18 months.

Another remark :

We all see on our screen this message :
"Most users ever online was 37 on 08-05-2002 at 01:38 AM."

What happened in August 2002 ?

* 32 new members registered : the absolute record of members joining...

* 37 members online together : since I am a Member, I have not seen more than 16 members online at the same time...

There is obviously a link between these two points. But, what else, what has been the generating fact ? Some publicity at this time ? Any idea ?

When will be the next "08.2002" ?? Long live the Forum !!

Cheers.

Ch.
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 09:05 AM   #25
Art
Forum Founder

Christophe,

I remember that day very well. I had noticed some unusual traffic coming onto the site and I had been in the background waiting for it to show up again. Sure enough, users from aol.com began visiting the site. The IP's were very weird, all coming from the approximate same address. Note, these weren't registered members but visitors coming in, looking at messages with attachments, reading messages, etc...it slowed the forum down to a crawl so much that I couldn't even get in to see what was happening. After trying for about 20 minutes I gained control of the board and quickly closed it down. After doing some research with other forum owners I quickly found out what was happening. An aol spider had been indexing the forum for its search engine and was looking at everything it could. Nothing nefarious, but completely unacceptable as it made the forum unusable with all its resource grabbing. I then made the choice to make the forum "members only" and not open to visitors.

As far as that many people joining in August, it was a very good month for new members, however the events are completely unrelated.

Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 03:33 PM   #26
Christophe

Art,

Thanks for these comments. This very interesting story perfectly answers a question I had in mind for a while... Just hope that now protection and security are OK.

BTW, I'm sure we will really be more than 37 online together on a daily basis in months to come.

Thanks... and bravo.

10 days later... what to add ?

Nearly nothing... except we are now 408 members (good rhythm : nearly one new member a day)... and this post (without real new content, I agree) is the Forum's 20,000 post !!!!!

Congratulations to all contributors... and a special tribute to Art !! One more time : BRAVO !!!!!!

Cheers.

Ch.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:35 PM   #27
Christophe

Halloween effect ?

Just a facetious but accurate question on Halloween day...

We are more than 400 Members, - 408 Members exactly - as stated on the top of our screen...
But, let's take the Members list, let's check... and you will see that we are only 346, including our newest Member M. Tom Mezs...

So what happened ?
Did some members resigned, suppressed their coordinates, and disappeared from the list, but remained in the meter ? Possible.

As it is Halloween day, do we have ghosts members amongst us ? I hope not...

Art, others specialized in software, is there a more rational reason for that ? Do we have to correct the meter figure ?

I was pleased to become the Member number 291, as stated on the screen when I registered... I would be more than delighted to become Member number 253, according to the "real ?" list.

Cheers.

Ch.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:28 PM   #28
ericlida

Forum Number

How can I find out what is my number?

Eric
ericlida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 05:35 AM   #29
Christophe

Eric,

Your Member number, amongst the 408 Members displayed by the meter ? Difficult today. You should have noticed it when you first registered... Except if Art has technical means to find it.

Your number, based on the Forum Members list (346 Members) . You are, based on this list, number 229 (just have to count...).

Finally have you been able to check the exact number of Members of the Forum ?

Are we now 411, as displayed in the front page, or 349 Members, as the Members List could let us think... And explanation of the gap ?

I agree, nor a strategic issue, but nevertheless interesting to know for future celebrations !

Cheers.

Ch.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:01 AM   #30
Art
Forum Founder

Christophe,

It's hard to really say. You see, some people join and never come back. We have a "hardcore" group of about 100 members. These are people that come in at least 3-5 times a week. Then of course the people who check in once or twice a month, and so on. There are many people who are stuck in email registration limbo. They either signed up with a false email address and won't receive the email confirmation or they never bothered to complete the registration. When registering, the forum will attempt to contact the new registrant with an email. If the email bounces the registrant cannot become a member. That is why you are seeing a difference in the number of registered members. I plan to delete these accounts at the beginning of the year. I haven't done this since the forum opened so you will see the number of members go down.

Here are the real time statistics as of November 8 2003:

(COPPA) Users awaiting moderation...4

(COPPA is a U.S. legal thing, if a user is under a certain age, their parents have to complete the registration process..obviously these people didn't so they remain in limbo)

Administrators...1 (yours truly)

Banned by Moderators...5 (I don't think these people count towards anything)

"Gold" Donor Registered...11 (these are folks who have donated the amount to give them special access to the for sale section)

Registered...325 (these people have successfully registered and are members)

Moderators...7

Users awaiting email confirmation...57 (the users described above)

Thus, the total is 406, although technically it should be 344.

Art

Art

Last edited by Art; 11-08-2003 at 11:12 AM.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote