The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 09-22-2010, 05:52 AM   #1
kiwiussr

Kiwiussr's fabulous claim.

just thought I would start a interesting thread in regards to see if any memebers of this fourm have served in the military (which I feel many have) and see if they want to share their own medals with the fourm. \Thought it could be interesting as we all have a love of collecting and would be cool to see what awards we have all been awarded for any military service

kiwi
Old 09-28-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
Lapa

Re: members decorations and medals

I seem to remember that a similar thread once existed...

Marc
Old 09-28-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
Esteban_cool

Yup, there was such thread. If any of the members or moderators could relocate us I´d be so thankful. I really want to read that thread again.
And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

The Who, Won't get fooled again
Old 10-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Multiple mentions in dispatches very nice! I hope they're not for bankruptcy! I knew a Kiwi Sailor from the Korean War who got a MID because his AA jammed and he couldn't stop firing it during an attack even though he didn't want to be on it at the time.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
ph3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiussr View Post
thought I would start, please find my personal awards / medals for 12 years service in the RNZN and also British Army TAVR

kiwi

what is the UN medal for?

I was in service, but the only one medal I supposed to have I just didn't attend the ceremony to get. That time I radically have changed my opinion about some issues
Old 10-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

I've never turned up to any sort of award ceremony either. The only two awards I had now I received by proxy as they were given to someone else to pass on to me. Of course when the Queen demands I can't say no! Like Bill Clinton says 90% of life is just "turning up".
Old 10-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
medals73

Quite impressive KiwiUSSR, quite impressive.

All of us would be ashamed to even try to follow that!
Old 10-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
ph3s

Quote:
cheers guys

the medals are as follows

DCM
MM
NZ Operational Service Medal
NZ General Service Medal (peacelike) Indian Ocean bar
CSM - Lebanon and Northern Island bars, MID
UN Medal Cyprus
Gulf War Medal with Jan / Feb 91 bar, MID
ACSM
QE II Golden Jubillee Medal
TAVR Long service medal
Legion of Merit (USA)
Bronze Star (USA)

also I have both Saudi and Kuwait (3rd class) liberation medals from gulf war but never had them court mounted with the rest

cheers

kiwi
Old 10-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
RedBanner1920

Quote:
just thought I would start a interesting thread in regards to see if any memebers of this fourm have served in the military (which I feel many have) and see if they want to share their own medals with the fourm. \Thought it could be interesting as we all have a love of collecting and would be cool to see what awards we have all been awarded for any military service

kiwi
I served in the israeli army for 2 years I would love to take some pics of my badges and documents and share to this forum
Old 12-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #10
kiwiussr

Re: Got medals?

this seems to have opened a can of worms, I am sure we have had a similar post some other time. But I will add my 5 cents worth.
Having served in the military in new Zealand and in the UK during the 1980s and the early 1990's I have recived a total of 13 medals, 2 being for bravery (DCM, MM) as well as a bronze star and legion of merit from time spent working with forces from the USA, the remaining are campagin service medals and 1 Jubilee medal. I spent a total of 10 years in the forces and at the time by NZ and UK standards had a large grouping of medals. I had known people who had served 20 years and all they had was a long service medal, even though they had seen active service on several occasions, but due to qualifing times that NZ and the UK have on medals at the time never received anything to show their time in active service. I spent time in the US on secondment and to be honest to see US troops that had been in the military only a couple of years and not ever been posted abroad of in a conflict zone and yet they had up to 7 medals, for what I am not sure? I am a great beliver that military servicemen should be honoured for their service, but I suppose the difference between countries like the USA, North Korea, Russia and countries like New Zealand, Canada and the UK is how they and how often they honour their servicemen and the way the medals they recive are reflected by those who recieve them. I know that most Commenwealth countries like NZ, UK, Canada have changed how they award medals (ie I have CSM whith two bars, Lebanon and Northen Ireland , still one medal) now they are issuing seperat medals for seperate campagins which I agree on. I still find it funny how the US may issue 2 some times three medals for the same involvement, I just find things like that seem to weaken the awards and medals. In regards to decorations like the bronze star being issued for being wounded, thought that is what the purple heart was for. To be honest I think the broze star is given to freely, it is ment for bravery in the face of the enemy, similar to the UK Military Medal, yet to get a MM is not an easy task and is not often awarded. I was given my Bronze star for actions against the enemy while serving with the US forces, but so was 9 other members of my unit and to be honest we were only doing our job!! If I compare what I recived my MM for against what was involved for my Bronze star.......

kiwi