The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 01-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
Jeffrey Meffert

Re: “For Occupation of New York”

So what kind of ribbon do you think IF it was going to be real? With the exception of Berlin and Warsaw, capture/liberation medals have 2 or 3 block colors in wide blocks.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #12
deValcourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlida View Post
OK my friends, I found a solution to this "medal"
It is just a keychain adverizing the computer game "World in Conflict"
Eric, if I find out you knew this all along and let these people rant happily with what ifs - well, I'm just going to have to ... pat you on the back. Good show!

Phillip
Old 01-05-2010, 12:52 AM   #13
ericlida

Quote:
Originally Posted by devalcourt View Post
Eric, if I find out you knew this all along and let these people rant happily with what ifs - well, I'm just going to have to ... pat you on the back. Good show!

Phillip
Phillip
I did not know. I found this out just today.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #14
deValcourt

Quote:
Phillip
I did not know. I found this out just today.
Ah well, you should have played it up; the suspense, tension and mystery were all great story attributes. Plus, we got to find out from Art about the WWIII badges I never heard of before.

There's no need to be modest here. (Even if the truth is not as exciting. - What we have here is what some people call the "Liberty Valance Effect" from the movie The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. At the end of the film after a writer has been taking notes to write this old cowboy's biography he is told the truths that don't jive with the legends about the cowboy's life and tells Liberty Valance on his way out the door refusing to hear anymore "true" versions of the legends ascribed to Valance: "When the Legend becomes fact, print the legend."

Often times, this is how history is recorded. The above is a safe version of George Orwell's 1984 novel which starts with the famous quotes: "He who controls the past, controls the future; and he who controls the present, controls the past." This is spoken by the the lead character who works in the Ministry of Information in the novel.

To stop my rant, I highly recommend Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm - books ONLY!!!! I am rereading them now and it's making me rethink a number of basic assumptions I had about communist life and the scum-eating rats that get paid a pittance to turn their fellow citizens in (creating mass hysteria like the Salem Witch trial and later the McCarthy "Commie" hunts.

Anyway, read the books when you get a chance - you might see some of it happening around us right now!

Phillip
Old 01-06-2010, 08:10 AM   #15
Lapa

And don't forget to add "Brave New World" to that list!

Marc
Old 01-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #16
aironmeiden

Quote:
OK my friends, I found a solution to this "medal"
It is just a keychain adverizing the computer game "World in Conflict"
The collector's edition of this game comes with a certified piece of Berlin's Wall... this piece of concrete is the only thing we can say it's original about the game!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiccollectors.jpg (50.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-06-2010, 04:26 PM   #17
aironmeiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by devalcourt View Post
Ah well, you should have played it up; the suspense, tension and mystery were all great story attributes. Plus, we got to find out from Art about the WWIII badges I never heard of before.

There's no need to be modest here. (Even if the truth is not as exciting. - What we have here is what some people call the "Liberty Valance Effect" from the movie The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. At the end of the film after a writer has been taking notes to write this old cowboy's biography he is told the truths that don't jive with the legends about the cowboy's life and tells Liberty Valance on his way out the door refusing to hear anymore "true" versions of the legends ascribed to Valance: "When the Legend becomes fact, print the legend."

Often times, this is how history is recorded. The above is a safe version of George Orwell's 1984 novel which starts with the famous quotes: "He who controls the past, controls the future; and he who controls the present, controls the past." This is spoken by the the lead character who works in the Ministry of Information in the novel.

To stop my rant, I highly recommend Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm - books ONLY!!!! I am rereading them now and it's making me rethink a number of basic assumptions I had about communist life and the scum-eating rats that get paid a pittance to turn their fellow citizens in (creating mass hysteria like the Salem Witch trial and later the McCarthy "Commie" hunts.

Anyway, read the books when you get a chance - you might see some of it happening around us right now!

Phillip
Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm are great books...
Old 01-06-2010, 11:08 PM   #18
Commissar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aironmeiden View Post
The collector's edition of this game comes with a certified piece of Berlin's Wall... this piece of concrete is the only thing we can say it's original about the game!
That was the only PC game I've played in recent years and it was VERY good for what it was. Superb even. And the follow up game called Soviet Assault was just as good. Very amazing I must say...despite being unrealistic some times.
Unfortunately I missed out on the special edition, which I am still trying to find...one day I will...and I will have my very own chunk of the Berlin wall.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #19
deValcourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
And don't forget to add "Brave New World" to that list!

Marc
I love that one too, but Huxley's sex-driven utopia didn't frighten me the way Orwell's "newspeak" did (the joke being the root-word "news" from the combination of the two words). As you know, that kind of work was not just confined to post-Stalin revisionists and even earlier Soviet historians, but I see it happening in our media today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aironmeiden View Post
Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm are great books...

Phillip
Old 01-07-2010, 06:45 AM   #20
Lapa

Phillip,

I like Brave New World for its description of the engineering of the human race. If you carefully analyze current happenings and recent evolutions in science, ethics, moral code, etc, I am afraid that we are already well advanced onto Huxley's nightmarish path, although it is much more subtle and difficult to grasp than the plain old reality of things such as "The Patriot Act" for example.

Marc