The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 07-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #31
Esteban_cool

Re: Movies: find it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar View Post

I have never ever played the Red Alert games and I am a better person for it.
Just look for some RA3 videos at Youtube. Pay special attention to a sniper girl´s rifle.
And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

The Who, Won't get fooled again
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2009, 04:35 PM   #32
Jeffrey Meffert

My favorite scene in Hunt for Red October is when Tim Curry looks up adoringly at Sean Connery when he says he is going to scuttle the ship and the doctor says "you will get the order of lenin for this".
It was ruined for me later on when I realized from the publicity still that Raimus already had the the order of lenin. I guess "you will be a hero of the soviet union" didn't flow off the tongue as well.
Appreciation though for K19 Widowmaker is that the WMD suits and respirators the crew wore into the leaking reactor looked period.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #33
Esteban_cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Meffert View Post
Appreciation though for K19 Widowmaker is that the WMD suits and respirators the crew wore into the leaking reactor looked period.
That part of the movie was moving.
After that, I was told that´s the way former east bloc people work, solving serious problems from scratch and such.
And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

The Who, Won't get fooled again
Old 07-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #34
Art
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar View Post
The Hunt for Red October had a number of faults.
The fire extinguishers inside the sub itself read Amerex, an American made extinguisher.
And for some reason it seems that many Soviet officers are shown wearing a submarine qualification pin when only the Commanding Officer would have one on a Soviet submarine?
Im not sure about that though, I am not all navally oriented.
Anyone remember when a well-known prop house was selling these on EBay a few years ago? a trip back in time to 2007 when this topic came up:

http://www.soviet-awards.com/forum/s...hollywood.html
Old 07-09-2009, 04:14 AM   #35
aironmeiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban_cool View Post
Do you people want to see fatal, annoying flaws?

Play Red Alert 3.
Yes ok... i remember (don't know which episode of r.a.) tesla coil make explode tanks too! This is not only an historical nonsense but impossible in physics!
Ah now i remember a game where there are soviet awards...
The game is "sturmovik" a combat flight simulator game.

all were highly modified by me in custom fantasy variations to apply for a browser game... i restored them deleting all layers but some changes were made directly on the bitmap layer and so there's no way to revert back. Sorry. Some orders are not even in the game and made from scratch/photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HS.jpg (26.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg OL.jpg (34.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg ORS.jpg (27.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg OPW1.jpg (30.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg OPW2.jpg (29.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ORB.jpg (33.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg OG.jpg (30.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg OV.jpg (33.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg OBH.jpg (32.0 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by CtahhR; 11-28-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:22 AM   #36
aironmeiden

Anyone can tell me if there were left handed moisin nagant?
Because as you can see this bolt action rifle (see poster) as the handle on the left side...
also because Vassili uses a right handed one in the film
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Enemy_at_the_gates_ver2.jpg (49.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg images.jpg (2.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 07-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #37
Commissar

I really like those awards.

And I am not sure about those lefty nagants.
But in truth I have heard that some gun nuts and collectors customize their mosin-nagants for a left hand bolt.

Anybody notice anything wrong with the uniforms of Soviet soldiers in the new Indiana Jones movie?
Old 07-10-2009, 10:03 AM   #38
Jeffrey Meffert

Finished watching "Hot Snow", "Blazing Snow" or similar translated title. Not a great movie for acting or plot but I watch them to practice listening to Russian. Uniforms looked OK although you would be surprised at how nice and clean the overcoats were outside Stalingrad in late 1942/early 1943. (Also Manstein apparently had an ungodly number of Tigers to try and break through to Paulus...although I would say these were visually passable Tigers considering they started their lives as T-34's.)
My question relates to an event at the end where the few survivors of an anti-tank regiment were awarded on the spot orders of red banner. They tossed them in a mess cup with vodka and passed the cup around as a toast their awards and those who didn't make it. Such a ceremony exist?
Old 07-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #39
RedMaestro2

Quote:
My question relates to an event at the end where the few survivors of an anti-tank regiment were awarded on the spot orders of red banner. They tossed them in a mess cup with vodka and passed the cup around as a toast their awards and those who didn't make it. Such a ceremony exist?
I don't know about the on the spot awarding, considering that on average in the soviet union you had to queue for several hours just to get a loaf of bread. But that ceremony did exist. I don't know the details though. There was a thread about it somewhere, possibly on another forum.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #40
Simon

Quote:
Finished watching "Hot Snow", "Blazing Snow" or similar translated title. Not a great movie for acting or plot but I watch them to practice listening to Russian. Uniforms looked OK although you would be surprised at how nice and clean the overcoats were outside Stalingrad in late 1942/early 1943. (Also Manstein apparently had an ungodly number of Tigers to try and break through to Paulus...although I would say these were visually passable Tigers considering they started their lives as T-34's.)
Jeffrey,

The order washing ceremony exists. Also, when an officer gets promoted, his new shoulder boards stars are traditionally "vodka cleaned". As you watch more Russian movies, you will see similar scene again. My dad and his friends vodka washed their college graduation badges.

During the war, army commanders had an authority to award orders and medals in the name of the Supreme Soviet. A great article on the subject is written by retired Soviet officer Yuri Veremeev:
sov-nagrady.shtml
Since you are learning Russian, it will be an interesting exercise for you. The article mentions Hot Snow scene. Events of the movie take place in 1942. At that time, army comm. had the authority to award Nevsky at most. In 1943, army comm. award giving powers were extended up to ORB.

Cheers,

Simon