The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #481
Lapa

Whaooo, Doc, that's a Georgian issued document you got there!
If you ever want to trade it, let me know

Marc
Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2006, 12:34 PM   #482
Soviet

Really nice display Doc!

The only problem is that you always need 2 medals for this. When it comes to the Odessa medal, what will you do?
Old 12-02-2006, 12:38 PM   #483
Riley1965

How to display Soviet awards

Thanks guys!!! Soviet, when I get to Odessa I'll just have to dig deep in my pockets for every last dime

Doc
Riley1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:54 PM   #484
Auke

Doc, nice way of displaying! I bet it will look great when you've got all the campaign medals displayed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Meffert View Post
The outcry from the community was impressive. I think we were going to march on your house and rescue your documents.
Right, all the way to The Netherlands
Auke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:55 PM   #485
matteti

Research of supply for displaying banknotes..

Hello all,
I was wondering if some members could help me finding what I am looking for.
I have many soviet bank notes that I would like to put in an album but I have a problem because all banknotes are of variable sizes. I cannot use standard banknotes sleeves for this.

So, I had the idea to use a photo album with 12X12 inches pages with white insert... the problem is that we won't see the two sides of the banknotes. So, I thought to replace the white inserts by polypropylene or other acid-free plastic on which I could affix the banknotes.

I thought to use photo corners that I will stick on those plastic insert and then insert them in the 12X12 sleeves. This way, it will be able to accomodate any size of banknotes and they will hold firmly with the ability to see the two sides (obverse and reverse).

The only problem... I cannot find where to get those 12X12 plastic sheets. I need something very simple, like acetates sheets for projector, but in the size of 12X12 and acid-free.

If someone can help me to find this I would really appreciate.

Thanks in advance.
matteti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:50 PM   #486
EricFG

Photo corners were my only submition. And I'm not very happy with them. With large banknotes the notes tend to sag, or 'belly', out from the four corners.
For common notes I'd glue the notes to the page so they dont sag at all.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:58 PM   #487
order of glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteti View Post
So, I had the idea to use a photo album with 12X12 inches pages with white insert... the problem is ....
Have you thought about cutting a window in your white insert (cardstock) leaving just enough room on the perimeter of the bill to fasten to the inset (1/8 inch or so)? The advantage of a solid insert is you will not be looking a the bills behind the one you are viewing.

I have used a rubber cement to fasten items like this. It can be remove easily if need be.

Best of luck with your display. Post a few photos of the finished product.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:55 PM   #488
Esteban_cool

Maybe you would like to do what I did to display my banknotes,m but you will require a good wall with a lot of space.

with a piece of wooden cardboard (or soft wood) and glass, make a kind of "sandwich" with your banknotes inside, fastening the wood and the glass with folder clips. you can use some very little amount of stick glue to avoid the banknotes from moving while you make this sandwich. Then, you attach it to the wall adding some hooks up and down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg display.jpg (39.6 KB, 32 views)
And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

The Who, Won't get fooled again
Esteban_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:49 PM   #489
matteti

Thank you for your suggestions and comments.

Eric: I understand what you mean for the photo corner. I have large pictures (around 9 X 11 inches) which also belly out of the corners. But being sticked on the inserts inside the polypropylene sheets, they hold ok.

Order of Glory: I thought about cutting my existing white cardboard inserts to the exact size of each banknotes, however, I thought it would be too much work. But maybe it would be the best option because as you mentionned, if using a plastic insert as I wanted, then I would see the bills behind the ones I am viewing... I don't want this.

Esteban: Good suggestion, but in my case, I am doing this to save wall space. I have around 120+ banknotes from imperial russia, soviet union, russia, ukraine, belarus, etc. and I want to have all of them holding in a single book (album). Hence my request for ideas. My problem is that I decided to collect almost anything related to soviet union, not only awards and now I ended up with too many items... most of them worth almost nothing and don't justify occupying some of the very limited wall space I have.

I also have a bunch of soviet loans that I put in an album. But for them, since they mostly have the same kind of information on the back (the rules of the obligations and the drawings associated with it, etc.), I didn't cut the cardboard inserts and I see only their obverse, which is fine.

Considering that banknotes have interesting details on their back, I still want to be able to see both sides and I think I will have no other choice than to resign to do the longest option, but also probably giving the most beautiful result, which is to cut the insert as suggested by Order of Glory.

I am a very slow person when it's time to do handcrafts.. so I won't be done very soon, but I will share some photo when completed.
matteti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:10 PM   #490
willie777

My grandfather is an avid banknot collector and stamp collector. I will tell you how he displays his banknotes.

First, you need one of those food sealer things. (not the high tech kind, the kind with the WIRE EXPOSED) Instead of using the stock bags, he uses those envelope cover. Its like a plastic bag, but wont crinkle, very transparent. Its a thing stamp collectors also use to put first day covers. Put the note in the envelope cover. Now follow the instructions on the food sealer. Remember the envelope cover is now the bag and the note is now the food. Do not eat the note. Leave 1/8" spacing from note to edge of envelope cover when sealing. If there is enough envelope cover left, you can do another note with the same cover. You will have some scrap envelope cover left if you have done it right. When youre done, the note will look laminated. Create a tiny slit with a razor blade on the edge anywhere to let the trapped air out. Reeat process 120 times. Use double side tape to attach to sheet of cardstock. punch holes in cardstock an put in 3 ring binder. Wes it is very complicated, but no I cant make video tutorial. My grandfather's "collection room" is very dim.
willie777 is offline   Reply With Quote