The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 03-31-2003, 10:56 AM   #41
redstar_co

Wow. Doug has some collection there. All those screwbacks.

Displaying, is the question that I spended a lot of time trying to find an answer for.
I had my first display in a regular shadow box, but since I was adding medals to it often, the little metal latches that holds the back of the frame fell off and now I have all my collection laying in one of those Ryker boxes with the cotton in the back and without a top.
Thanks to yolkin, I may have a more permanent solution coming.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:13 PM   #42
JensF.

Here is a part of my collection stored in a drawer:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg russ.jpg (47.0 KB, 451 views)
JensF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 10:23 AM   #43
Dave

Here's the way I display my awards. These pictures were taken a while back- I now display one group per frame. If the group doesn't fit in one of these frames, or fit in the smaller size, it gets sold. If I run out of room to display a group, it gets sold too! (Unfortunately, I'm getting to the point now where almost every group I have on display is one of my 'favorites'!)

The frames come with padding inside. I purchased a pile of old black cashmere wool 'cutting scraps' from a tailor shop when I was stationed in Japan, and that has provided a nice background for the groups.

The great thing about the frames is that nothing has to get pinned, taped, glued, velcroed, or anything else that might disturb the originality of the award or document. On rare occasions, I have to stick another piece of paper behind a document to keep it in place, especially those around the larger orders (i.e. Service to the Homeland) as they'll press the foam in and the items around them will slip a little in the frame. A tiny piece of folded paper behind the document takes care of that in a jiffy!

I've been able to display awards in their award boxes, as well as very deep items (the large gramota for the Lenin Prize, for instance) by simply cutting out a bit of the foam in the frame and displaying it from there.

I was initially very worried about displaying groups with photos in the frames, especially in a very humid environment (Japan) but I've never had a problem with photos sticking or anything else like that. I've had my groups mounted in frames like these for four years now, and have never once encountered a problem. (Giving credit where credit is due - Ed Maier got me 'hooked' on displaying my groups this way!)

Displaying the groups this way not only allows me and others the enjoyment of seeing all the groups on a regular basis, but it also protects the groups from dust and the 'wear and tear' of sitting on the shelf!

If I could figure a way to get the photos bigger, I'd put up bigger photos, but till then- this is as good as I can do!

--Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg office1s.jpg (38.0 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg office8s.jpg (49.7 KB, 310 views)

Last edited by CtahhR; 07-03-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 10:32 PM   #44
HuliganRS

How's this display?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg display (small).jpg (33.8 KB, 333 views)
Member #193
HuliganRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 05:17 AM   #45
Tal Inbar

Why the ribbon is in wrong direction?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (3.2 KB, 200 views)
Old 04-25-2003, 05:57 AM   #46
Mozzabloke

Dave,

Have you had any problems with the sun bleaching your doc's ribbon and photos in your frames?

Mark
Mozzabloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 06:33 AM   #47
Dave

Quote:
Originally posted by Mozzabloke
Dave,

Have you had any problems with the sun bleaching your doc's ribbon and photos in your frames?

Mark

Mark-

I have never had a problem with that, though I don't put the frames in direct sunlight either. All three of the offices I've had my collection displayed in have had windows, but none of them ever caught the sun directly. I think if the sun stayed on a frame for a long enough period of time, it probably would bleach them.

As they are, the longest continally-displayed group I have has been in a frame now for three years, and I can't see any ill effects on it.

--Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 08:40 AM   #48
HuliganRS

Tal: Can't get anything past you!

This is the way it came in and my friend is reluctant to change it!

Personally I believe the ribbon was replaced by the owner...

Rusty.
Member #193
HuliganRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 09:12 PM   #49
ibaya

Made out of basswood and plate glass from a dollar-store picture frame.

The velvet-covered board is angled for displaying the medal with box laying flat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg case.jpg (38.2 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg case2.jpg (40.8 KB, 318 views)

Last edited by CtahhR; 07-03-2013 at 05:27 PM.
ibaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 05:42 PM   #50
scook17

I like the HSL display box. I have one of these to, and this is a really nice way of displaying it or any other single medal.

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.
scook17 is offline   Reply With Quote