The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 12-29-2003, 11:14 AM   #71
Christophe

Finally, I got an answer on this subject through the help of a webpage of another site, apparently mainly dedicated to German awards, sent to me by a member of another Forum.

Here is its content. I think it is a good summary of our discussions. Hope this helps.

"The author Christopher Ailsby shared with us the following information on the discussion forum of this site (...).

Housing your Collection
There are many ways of keeping a collection but care must be taken when selecting materials for use in the storage of medals, as corrosive gases can be emitted by a variety of substances. These gases are present in the atmosphere but generally at low concentrations. However, materials such as wood, fabric and adhesives used in a storage system may emit these substances, producing higher concentrations which can cause deterioration of objects in the storage area.

Silver is tarnished by reducible sulfides, commonly hydrogen sulfide and carbonyl sulfide, which can be emitted by fabrics, especially those made of wool and by some adhesives.

Copper and its alloys are corroded by chlorides, sulfides and organic acids. The source of these may again be fabrics but also certain plastics. For example, polyvinyl chloride (PVC) can give off gases containing chlorine.

Acidic papers and boards, wood, wood composites and some adhesives can release organic acids. The corrosion of lead is initiated by acetic acid and basic lead carbonate is formed. Formaldehyde, which is emitted by wood composites, can also corrode lead by the formation of lead formate.

As an extra precaution, an absorbent material may be incorporated into the storage system should an artifact be particularly prone to corrosion. Charcoal cloth, a fabric made from activated carbon may be used to absorb all types of gases. Zinc oxide pellets, which react with hydrogen sulfide and hence reduce the rate at which silver tarnishes, can also be used.

The usual form in this country, as well as on the Continent and in the USA, is a medal cabinet containing a number of flat trays and sooner or later the serious collector will have to consider the possibility of buying or making one. The price you will have to pay for a cabinet will depend largely on the quality of the workmanship and the number of trays it contains (...).

Always remember when buying or making a cabinet to select mahogany, walnut or rose wood as other woods such as oak, cedar, etc contain a resin which is liable to put an unsightly tarnish on your medals and may prove difficult to remove without damage. Those specified woods are usually suitable for the storage of silver artifacts. However, in tests, lead almost always corroded and copper occasionally corroded in the presence of wood, especially oak. In general, when any wood is to be used, it should be well seasoned and dried. Tropical hardwood like mahogany are the least harmful. However, due to ecological factors, it is preferable that such woods are not used.

Adhesives are an important consideration. Cascamite (a powdered urea formaldehyde adhesive) is a general woodwork glue which may be used for construction of cabinets and inserts. Glues based on polyvinyl acetate emulsions should be avoided.

Wood-composites such as plywood, fibreboard and blockboard, are generally unsuitable for use with lead and often unsuitable for use with copper. This is due to harmful, volatile materials emitted by both the wood component and the adhesive or binder component. Manufacturers are becoming aware of problems associated with volatile gases and some types of fibreboard, e.g. Medite, are designed to have low level emissions of formaldehyde. These low emission fibreboards are often suitable for use, though testing of each type is recommended.

Plastic cabinets and trays
Plastic cabinets and trays are an alternative to using wood. At present, of those tested, only one type of plastic tray has been found to be suitable for use with all metals. Further information can be obtained from the British Museum. Plastic cabinets are also available for housing these trays. The cabinets have not been tested but presumably are made from the same plastic as the trays and thus suitable for use.

Metal cabinets
Stove-enameled metal cabinets may be used for storage of all types of materials.

Lining materials
Drawers or trays within the cabinets are often lined. Plastozote, a polythene foam available in a variety of colors, may be used as an insert with suitably sized profiles cut out to accommodate the medals. The foam will afford protection to the medals, as it will prevent them moving around and suffering mechanical damage when the drawers are opened and closed.

Textiles may be used to line drawers and trays. The use of felt or woolen felt discs should not be used in proximity with silver, as they emit sulfide gases that will cause rapid tarnishing. Other fabrics can also cause problems. A looped nylon fabric may be a suitable alternative, as it has smaller quantities of felt. It will not fray when cut, acts as a 'cushion' and is available in a variety of colors.

Paper envelopes
Another convenient method of keeping medals is in envelopes made from white paper, which may be kept in storage boxes long enough to contain between 150 and 200 medals. A description of each medal can be written on the outside of the white envelopes. Many envelopes are made of poor quality paper, which will become acidic and unsuitable for use in storage. Therefore envelopes should be made from archival quality paper or board.

Plastic envelopes and boxes
In the United States and Canada by far the most popular way of keeping medals is in medal folders which may be kept in a bookcase. These have a number of pouches forming the page. Information such as name, date and numbers awarded may be printed on sticky labels placed on the reverse of the pouch. Although this is certainly a compact and convenient way of keeping medals, it does not compare with the more conventional and handsome mahogany medal cabinet in which the medals may be arranged and ticketed as desired. Some plastics may degrade and produce harmful vapor or droplets of plasticiser. Therefore, archival quality plastic envelopes should be used. These are made of polyester or high quality polythene. The coins or medals can be stored individually in plastic boxes such as clear, colorless polystyrene boxes. These may be lined with Plastozote foam to avoid mechanical damage.

Ticketing and Cataloguing
It it usual to place medals on white circular tickets on which may be written a short description of the medal, its catalogue number and perhaps your own reference number. Most medal dealers supply their own tickets when selling medals and you may wish to keep these, while writing any additional facts on a second ticket of your own. It is also a good idea to make a separate list of your medals, either on a card index or on loose leaves. Better still, in this computer age, is a database that stores the information. Paper discs should be made of archival quality paper or board.

Inks
Inks used for annotating paper discs should have a permanent colour and be tested for acidity prior to use. Several pens have been tested by scientists in Glasgow. The following were found to be suitable for archival purposes; Artline Calligraphy Pen black EK 243, Edding Profipen 0.1 1800, Pentel Document pens permanent MR 205 (black and blue), GPO standard ballpoint pen PO SP15.

Light
On occasions, whilst on display, silver medals have acquired a white 'bloom'. This has been shown to be a result of photochemical degradation of the original silver chloride patina, forming powdery metallic silver. It is unlikely that medals would be continually exposed to bright light whilst in storage but this potential hazard should be borne in mind."

Ch.
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2003, 11:32 AM   #72
Bazanov

Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophe
Finally, I got an answer on this subject through the help of a webpage of another site (....Edited to save space - see original above!....)

Ch.

Great jobb Christophe! Very intresting and usefull reading!

Last edited by otlichnik; 12-30-2003 at 03:13 AM.
Bazanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 01:16 PM   #73
Christophe

Fredrik,

Let's keep modest !!!
Christopher Ailsby did the real job !!!!! Many thanks to him.

Ch.
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 02:16 PM   #74
HuliganRS

Man, talk about alot of infrormation to process...
Member #193
HuliganRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 10:50 PM   #75
Dave

Here's the link:

Indian River Display Cases

I have bought all of my cases from them and have been extremely happy both with the cases, price and service.

--Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SovietForumFrame.jpg (28.1 KB, 64 views)
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 10:54 PM   #76
new world

Dave,

How much is the price for a case?

William
new world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 11:02 PM   #77
Dave

William-

The large cases are $39.75 each. They allow a discount if you buy three of them, as they can send them all in one box. They have a couple dozen sizes, though I've found that the 18x24x2" one (seen in my earlier pic) works best for large groups, and the 12x18x2" (seen in this post) works for small groups. The frames I use are all walnut, chosen for aestetics rather than storage qualities.

--Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SovietForumFrame2.jpg (32.8 KB, 74 views)
Old 01-03-2004, 05:21 PM   #78
Dolf

Indian River

Hi Gentlemen,

Just a short note to completely support what was previously told by Dave.
These Cases are not only really beautiful and very well done, but they are also very practical and easy to use.
I recently got my first one and I'm extremely happy with it. Thanks a lot Dave.
The only inconvenient in my case as an European buyer is as usual the huge shipping costs when ordering from the USA!
For a $25.00 Case I payed $37.25 for shipping costs + $1.85 for insurance + $1.99 for an extra foam-backed Velvet, totalizing $66.09 !

So, if by any chance one of you guys living in the USA was kind enough to help, I'd consider ordering another couple of Cases soon (my Soviet Awards collection is increasing quite fast ). I'd order and pay for the Cases directly to Indian River, instructing them to ship to your address in the USA, then I'd pay you the exact shipping costs to Portugal. I guess I probably would save some hard earned money this way!
If someone accept it please post a reply or send me a PM, I'd be really grateful, believe me!

Thanks a lot,

Dolf
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 06:47 PM   #79
new world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
William-

The large cases are $39.75 each. They allow a discount if you buy three of them, as they can send them all in one box. They have a couple dozen sizes, though I've found that the 18x24x2" one (seen in my earlier pic) works best for large groups, and the 12x18x2" (seen in this post) works for small groups. The frames I use are all walnut, chosen for aestetics rather than storage qualities.

--Dave
Thanks Dave!

These cases look like the cases that dealers use to display their stuff at the shows.

Are they the same ones?

Best,
William
new world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 06:54 PM   #80
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by new world
Thanks Dave!

These cases look like the cases that dealers use to display their stuff at the shows.

Are they the same ones?

Best,
William
William-

I believe they are, thinking back to a particular NY-based major dealer's table at the OMSA show...

--Dave