The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #651
SpaceCadet1983

Re: Auctions & the Credit Crunch

I think you both have valid points. From the SPACE MEDAL perspective there are still a few high-priced medals at live auctions, but overall the trend has been a lot lower prices than the estimated winning bids. (See my postings on "Live Auction Results" under SPACE MEDALS.) There are great bargins to be had if someone has the money!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:49 AM   #652
kingsnorth

Just a few points.
In my opinion the auction in New York cannot be taken as an indicator of the health of the medal market as a whole because so many of the lots were well over priced. Do you agree ?
The weakness of the British pound put me off and I am sure many other collectors from bidding for anything at New York and other auctions in the USA. It is highly unlikely that I will be bidding for anything in the EU or the the USA unless the pound gains strength.
Lets be honest when was the last time there was a bargain on Ebay ?
I haven't seen anything for months and certainly not bought anything because on the rare occasion I see anything the lots always go well above what I think they are worth. It's been like that for well over a year.
Finally, I based my conclusion on what I saw at Nottingham. There were over 400 lots and all went top or above estimate despite the weather that must have put deterred people from attending.
I honestly believe that anyone who has invested in stamps,coins and medals will be well placed or should I say better placed to weather the storm (recession).

Cheers
Keith
kingsnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:37 AM   #653
ANZAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsnorth View Post
Just a few points.
In my opinion the auction in New York cannot be taken as an indicator of the health of the medal market as a whole because so many of the lots were well over priced. Do you agree ?
The weakness of the British pound put me off and I am sure many other collectors from bidding for anything at New York and other auctions in the USA. It is highly unlikely that I will be bidding for anything in the EU or the the USA unless the pound gains strength.
Lets be honest when was the last time there was a bargain on Ebay ?
I haven't seen anything for months and certainly not bought anything because on the rare occasion I see anything the lots always go well above what I think they are worth. It's been like that for well over a year.
Finally, I based my conclusion on what I saw at Nottingham. There were over 400 lots and all went top or above estimate despite the weather that must have put deterred people from attending.
I honestly believe that anyone who has invested in stamps,coins and medals will be well placed or should I say better placed to weather the storm (recession).

Cheers
Keith
Sorry Keith I have to disagree I watched and listed to the entire New York Auction, some prices were inflated but the majority were sold under the estimate, which by my reckoning wasn't to bad this year. Groups were sold well under what they would have brought 12 months or even up to 6 months ago. When a type 1 BM sells for $120 at the auction and you have to buy one for between $250-$300 anywhere else, to me that's a good deal.

Take a look now on ebay, OG III's going for between $90-$110.00, 6 months ago I couldn't get one under $120. BMs going for $20-$30, few months ago they were between $40-$80. High end orders are not so prevelant due to people not selling as they get little profit. Now is the time to buy if you have the money and a niche collecting area. If I had the dollars at the moment I'd be adding every Glory I assessed as good on ebay, to my collection.

The next area to watch is the numbered awards. Now Alexei and maybe others have opened up the market on researching numbered awards, watch how they increase in price. If research can be turned around in a week for a $40 BM why wouldn't you buy it, research it and maybe make a profit to pay a few bills if so inclined?

Brendan
Old 02-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #654
Lapa

Brendan,

I have to disagree with you on a few detail points here, even though I agree with your assessment of the current trends.
I believe that we are only at the beginning of the price decrease; what we have seen so far is nothing more than a sudden, brutal correction of the overall overpriced field. As the crisis sets in, money will become tighter, or at least be reassigned to higher priority items; prices for collectables, and not only Soviet ones IMHO, will keep sliding for the best part of 2009 at least, maybe longer, it will all depend upon the severity of the crisis and the effectiveness of the measures taken to combat it.

So, personally, I'd simply sit tight and wait a bit longer before enbarking on a purchasing spree, my money will definitely go farther then. Of course, should a great bargain come along, I am ready to pounce

Marc
Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:55 PM   #655
ekclete

I agree with Mark. Prices will come down as discretionary income decreases. I think the Soviet medals market was driven abnormally high due to some very wealthy collectors who had the ability to pay whatever they wanted for a piece with no regards to cost and market conditions. Thanks Clete
Old 03-31-2009, 10:21 PM   #656
latinmajorac

Pricing Question

What is a good price for a 50 and 60 year victory medals? they are russian federation and seem to have the right ribbons on them. there is a small antique market that forms on Saturdays and i noticed them there along with a number of badges and other medals(nothing major) and i was thinking of picking them up but i wanted to know the value before i dealt with it

thanks for any advice

marc
Somehow finding money for my next medal purchase? Priceless

starving college kid: will do calculus for Medals

Newly promoted to the Deputy Kapusta Commander position
latinmajorac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:11 PM   #657
Soviet

Re: Pricing Question

$4-$5 each maximum
Old 04-01-2009, 05:35 AM   #658
EricFG

The 50 is *real* common, the 60 less so. In fact, if they have more than one 60 would ya consider getting one for me?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:02 AM   #659
latinmajorac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFG View Post
The 50 is *real* common, the 60 less so. In fact, if they have more than one 60 would ya consider getting one for me?
Sure! i will take a look. i also dont' know what his pricing is, so we will have to see!

i will let you know on saturday

thanks for the pricing info!
Somehow finding money for my next medal purchase? Priceless

starving college kid: will do calculus for Medals

Newly promoted to the Deputy Kapusta Commander position
latinmajorac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:03 AM   #660
Liam

price guides?

Does anyone know of resources that list current price ranges for individual Soviet awards?
Thanks......
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote