The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 12-01-2003, 12:13 PM   #41
Henry Sakaida

If you are 100% certain that what you were sold is a fake, then please mention the seller's name here. You would be doing all of us who use this forum a big favor.
The circle of Soviet medal collectors seems to be small and word does travel very fast.
There really isn't much you can do about someone here who sells you a fake. The post office really doesn't want to get involved unless they receive alot of complaints. Ditto for the police. They would consider this a civil matter between the seller and the purchaser.
Small claims court? Would you spend $$$ flying across the country to file a claim? If you were ripped off $10,000, you may want to hire a lawyer out there.
My advice to you: Only buy from a reputable dealer who will give you a money back guarentee. When they get medals from their suppliers, believe me, they will check it out. They don't want to be stuck with a fake either, and they are very very protective of their reputation. When you buy off ebay, you are taking a big risk because you do NOT know who the seller is.
So,...what fake did you buy and who was the seller??
Henry Sakaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2003, 01:38 PM   #42
ericlida

I think it's a good idea to let us know about dishonest people.

However, I disagree with the suggestion to place the name of the person who sold you fake. The seller might have no knowledge that the medal was fake. All of us can make a mistake and sell fake as an original, just because of limited experience or purchasing from other person as authentic. I would not want my name to be on the Forum list of people selling fakes, because I made a mistake. I think that it would be a good practice to let us know about people who pocketed the money without delivering the medals, refused refund, etc.

I would just call these people - dishonest people.

Eric
ericlida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 02:28 PM   #43
Henry Sakaida

Eric is right. I forgot to add the following. If the seller had guarenteed authenticity and it turns out to be a fake, then you are entitled to a refund. If no refund, then the seller deserves to have his name posted.
If the seller cannot guarentee authenticity for whatever reason, then the buyer has a choice: Buy it at your own risk or simply walking away.
If you buy it at your own risk and it turns out to be a fake, then it is unfair to have the seller's name posted here.
I understand that we are not all experts. But if you are going to buy a medal, you certainly don't want to be taken! This puts non-experts like myself in a precarious situation...I might want to sell off a few items, but I'm not about to spend $85 to get it authenticated on a common Order of the Red Banner or a Glory 2nd or 3rd.
I thought I had a solution, but Eric brought up a very valid point. Maybe with dealers, since they are in the business of buying and selling, if they screw you, then of course print their names here. But amongst collectors...???
Old 12-01-2003, 02:44 PM   #44
ericlida

Thanks Henry.

I think dealers don’t deserve to be placed on the list of dishonest sellers either, if they made a mistake and refund the money. Everybody has right to make a mistake. It’s about how honestly you do your business with other people.

Eric
ericlida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 04:56 PM   #45
Dolf

colectibles_1 on E

Gentlemen,

I checked it right now and realize the seller William mentions in the 1st Thread of this series, is still on eBay, he apparently is from Latvia, but I couldn't find his email address. Right now he only has 1 feedback (obviously Negative!) posted, and no items for sale!

Isn't there nothing legal we can do, such as to complaint to eBay about this guy (and apparently others like him, as I've read in the previous posts), for eBay to banish him (them) for ever?!...

Thank you guys for letting us know about these dishonest sellers, it's good to know how things work, specially for recent collectors like me!

I agree with Henry, the names of these dishonest sellers should be posted here for all of us to know. Obviously Eric is right when he says that if it is a mistake and the seller refunds your money, that's a different case.

Again thanks a lot for sharing this valuable information.

Dolf
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 12:13 PM   #46
skipper1939

Scam and Bam! A New Dimension

Gentleman:

There is a well known ethnic Russian fraud artist in one of the Baltic states who has let it be known that he is "connected." He has warned a wide circle of regional dealers who have bought from him that if they don't like what they got to just eat it. His mafia connections, he has warned will "enforce" his deals and will shut up anyone who doesn't like it. He has also indicated that they have "long fingers" in the spirit of the old KGB.

Guess why I'm not naming him or pinpointing his location.

And in case any of you think that I am crying wolf, this shark has already taken a bit out of one of my close colleagues in the area.

Dr. Bob
skipper1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 03:35 PM   #47
Tretov

I guess the best thing is not to take any risks with this man (in Latvia), and be extremely careful when dealing with people that offers deals that seem "to good to be true". I lost about 100 euros to him.

The sad thing is that by avoiding "new" sellers with 0 feedback, you can miss really good deals that are not fraud.

/Patrik
Tretov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 04:39 PM   #48
Henry Sakaida

You can avoid getting scammed if you follow this advice:

1. Never buy anything from a stranger overseas unless you are
willing to gamble.

2. Don't buy anything on ebay unless you are willing to gamble.
If you gamble and loose, just consider it a costly lesson which
you did NOT have to pay for.

3. Stick with the reputable dealers here in the U.S. and amongst
collectors you know.

Maybe it is not a good idea to post scammer's names on this website. I wouldn't want anyone to get threatened or hurt over this. It isn't worth it. But the Soviet orders and medals collector circle is small here and word does get around.
If you follow my advice and use your common sense, I think you will do well.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:33 PM   #49
Dolf

Buying from a stranger overseas

Henry,

Thanks a lot for your wise advice, I believe it's most valuable.

Nevertheless, not all of us live "here in the U.S."...
So for collectors living overseas (from the American perspective), in Europe for example, when ordering from a U.S. dealer, they are buying from a dealer overseas (from the European perspective).

And when doing it for the first time, they are buying from a stranger!

Look at my case: I live in Portugal, so when I first ordered from a U.S. dealer I couldn't know how serious he was!
Fortunatelly I was lucky, very lucky indeed, as the dealer I've bought all my (few) Awards from so far, is our dearest Nota Bene, so as we all know I couldn't have been luckier!
But I could have ordered from someone else (and I've already seen some fakes for sale on E, suggested by U.S. sellers, and from other Western Countries as the UK, for example!), so the all thing always contain some risk...
The day that for some reason I'll order from some other dealer for the first time, again I'll bee uncertain as long as I don't receive my Award(s) in perfect condition, whether this dealer is from overseas (U.S., U.K.) or not...

But back to the original subject, I still think that the names of those obvious dishonest sellers should be listed here for us to know who we should avoid at all costs.

Cheers,

Dolf
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 06:03 PM   #50
Tretov

Quote:
Originally posted by Henry Sakaida
You can avoid getting scammed if you follow this advice:

1. Never buy anything from a stranger overseas unless you are
willing to gamble.

2. Don't buy anything on ebay unless you are willing to gamble.
If you gamble and loose, just consider it a costly lesson which
you did NOT have to pay for.

3. Stick with the reputable dealers here in the U.S. and amongst
collectors you know.

Maybe it is not a good idea to post scammer's names on this website. I wouldn't want anyone to get threatened or hurt over this. It isn't worth it. But the Soviet orders and medals collector circle is small here and word does get around.
If you follow my advice and use your common sense, I think you will do well.
Generally OK - but we are not all americans. By telling people (visitors of this forum by posting here) not to buy from "overseas" many honest people in Europe may loose their customers. Plus, I am already sick and tired of sellers in the USA that are obvisusly afraid of anything that is out of the '50 states' and refuse to sell to people abroad.

About eBay - if I had done the business with mr Latvian Fraud through eBay then I would at least have gotten some money back by their Safe-Harbour program.

/Patrik
Tretov is offline   Reply With Quote