The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 04-07-2003, 06:21 AM   #1
charlet

submarine clock

Hi gentlemen, I'm proposed a russian gadget for a very very fair price: a called "submarine clock". The good points: it sleeps in a collector closet since 1994 and is labeled "sdelano v sssr". A LOT of identical clock are proposed for sale in the USA, first with sdelano v rossia, then another version "red october", certainly specially for US market.
But I strongly suspect this piece to be non-soviet and being a russian fabrication of 1993-95, a few time when they hold old soviet "sdelano v cccp". The yankee-nuclear sub pic with red star on the top of the clock seems very fancy for genuine military stuff...your advice please?

the pic shows it exactly)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horloge sous marin soviet.jpg (15.7 KB, 81 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2003, 06:30 AM   #2
Tal Inbar

Just another tourist item.

Tal
Old 04-07-2003, 10:24 AM   #3
DougD

the clock

Well, I bought mine back in 1992. From what I was told they were made for tourists ( not really to buy on their own, too heavy to carry in a suitcase if you ask me) or for large scale catalogs. Its not a real historical item, but for the price a neat little item to have for display. I have mine in the garage and its fine, worked well for the past 10 years or so; just have to wind it once a week.

DougD
Old 04-10-2003, 06:21 AM   #4
charlet

so it confirms my suspicions; it is military stuf with nice drawings to sell to tourists...in order to avoid the factory closure...good reconversion!
I prefer this to a kitchen pan converted from a T-54 factory!!!

thanks you all, sebastien
Old 04-10-2003, 06:31 AM   #5
Tal Inbar

It is NOT " military stuf with nice drawings to sell to tourists", It is simply a clock for tourists.

Tal
Old 04-10-2003, 07:29 AM   #6
charlet

Tal, for having not been in the factory, I cannot tell if it is military conception continued for tourist, if they kept the original working tools or if it is new conception. An experimented collector told me yesterday this stuff is exactly the same design that old german 1945 u-boot. So what they put in it, which design...I opened it and saw thick metal armature, thick yellow phosphatation as for marine. It is clearly junk presentation, but the real original quality construction of the mechanic? quite a funny enigma. It was also for this reason I wished discuss this point with guys who do have this clock.

sebastien
Old 04-10-2003, 07:46 AM   #7
Tal Inbar

I just want to be VERY ACCURATE - this is NOT a MILITARY CLOCK, Nor a SUBMARINE CLOCK.

Same design? Yes. Same factory? Yes. a "military clock"? NO.

See:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...34/rusclk.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c.jpg (13.6 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Tal Inbar; 04-10-2003 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:49 AM   #8
Tal Inbar

Description from a company who sells them:

"The SHIP'S CLCOCK "5-CHM" also called "SUB CLOCK" was originaly produced by Vostok watchmakers for Soviet Navy's battleships and nuclear submarines."

And

"This 12-jewel, 12-hour dial, 8-day key wound mechanical clock is manufactured by the Vostock Military Clock Factory for the Russian Navy and is now made available commercially. The movement is contained in a waterproofed, air tight aluminum housing with brass face plate. A mounting plate attached to the back of the clock allows for mounting on a wall, or it can be placed on a desk or table. Total weight is 6 pounds. The clock is 8" in diameter with a dial 5" in diameter. It has a sweep second hand. The face is decorated with a hammer and sickle at 12 o'clock. A depiction of the Typhoon class submarine is located at 6 o'clock on the dial with the word TYPHOON in Cyrillic located below the hammer and sickle. The clock is new and is tested and regulated for accuracy prior to shipment.. A certificate, and 2 winding keys are included. Comes in a gift box with handle. This Russian clock is very accurate with a rate adjustment lever located at the top of the dial. It is considered a unique timepiece."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28_3.jpg (26.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 04-10-2003, 07:53 AM   #9
Tal Inbar

This one looks more like the original:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b.jpg (17.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 04-10-2003, 07:57 AM   #10
Tal Inbar

Original U-Boat clock:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (39.4 KB, 50 views)