The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 09-04-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
willie777

The war against agression (Imperial Japan)

On August 8, 1945, the USSR declared war on Imperial Japan. One week later, on August 15, 1945, Japan surrenders to the Allies. (Still not clear why the VOJ medal says September 3) During this war, did any of the VMF (Soviet Navy) get called into action? If so, could a freshly conscripted sailor who served in this and only this brief war get a Combat service and/or Bravery medals? Also, would he be qualified to get GPW jubilee medals later on in his life, as the war against japan was not part of the GPW, but the War against agression...
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2007, 10:12 PM   #2
UQWozza

Operation August Storm, or the Battle of Manchuria began on August 8, 1945, with the Soviet invasion of the Japanese puppet state of Manchukuo; the greater invasion would eventually include neighboring Mengjiang, as well as northern Korea, southern Sakhalin, and the Kuril Islands. It marked the only military action of the Soviet Union against the Empire of Japan apart from the 1939 Battle of Khalkhin Gol. At the Yalta Conference, it had agreed to Allied pleas to terminate the neutrality pact with Japan and enter the Second World War's Pacific Theater within three months after the end of the war in Europe.

The invasion began on August 8, 1945, precisely three months after the German surrender on May 8. It began between the atomic bomb attacks on Hiroshima (August 6) and Nagasaki (August 9).

Japan's decision to surrender was made after the scale of the Soviet attack on Manchuria, Sakhalin, and the Kuril Islands was known, but had the war continued, the Soviets had plans to invade Hokkaidō well before the other Allied invasion of Kyushu.

On 2 September 1945, representatives of the Japanese government and the Japanese armed forces formally surrendered to the Allies by signing the Instrument of Surrender aboard the U.S.S. Missouri anchored in Tokyo Bay. Some sites state the date of official surrender was September 3, 1945 but most sources give the earlier date.

Thus, the Operation August Storm campaign ran from August 8 – September 2, 1945. Perhaps hostilities in the Russian sphere of operations were said to end at midnight on that date, or early the next day. Hence, 3 September was used on the compaign medal.

September 3, 1945 was also when the Japanese forces in Philippines surrendered to the Allies.

Here are my thoughts based on the regulations for the awards:

1. CSM and Bravery Medal: as long as the requisite actions/deeds are carried out the sailor should be eligible for these medals.

2. 20 Years of Victory Medal: the regulations do not include any mention of the war against Japan, with only those serving in the soviet armed forces, etc, which participated in the GPW, or holders of the VoG medal being eligible.

3. 30 + 40 Years of Victory Medals: holders of the VoJ medal are eligible for these medals.

As usual somebody like Paul should be able to confirm this.

Simon

P.S. In the regs the Pacific Ocean Fleet and the Amur River Flotilla are mentioned.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
jefflgarrison

Paul, in his book, notes Bravery Medal #2.229.796 being awarded August 29, 1945 to a member of the 17th Army, Japan. Page #150 "Echos of War"

Who will come to us with a feather - will be tickled by a feather!" - citation of Alexander Nevski
Old 09-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #4
willie777

Thanks guys! One more question... Was it possible for a person to have both VoG and VoJ?
Old 09-08-2007, 06:33 PM   #5
UQWozza

Both VoJ and VoG

From looking at the regs in the Comprehensive Guide to Soviet Orders and Medals there is no reason why a servicemen shouldn't have both medals as long as he did the required service in both theatres.

Simon
Old 09-08-2007, 07:19 PM   #6
willie777

Thanks! I am trying to make a sailor uniform... I wanted to make it a veteran who got RS's for long service, and I thought Irreproachable medals would ruin that... So, it would be impossible for him to just serve in the Japanese theatre and not get 1 of those, so, I had to extend his service into before the Victory parade and against germany also...
Old 09-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #7
Lapa

Willy,

HSU Mayor Lorin of the VMF airforce was awarded the Order of Nakhimov 2nd class #397 for his actions in the war with Japan.

Marc
Old 07-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
Pobeda45

Re: The war against agression (Imperial Japan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie777 View Post
Thanks guys! One more question... Was it possible for a person to have both VoG and VoJ?
I am bumping up a very old thread...but it's timely to research I've recently conducted. Yes, and I have a small set of a private (with docs) who was awarded the VOG, VOJ, and Koenigsberg medals. (Unrelated to the Glory-3 I just posted) He was part of the 5th army, a large part of which was shipped East in the early summer of 1945 to be part of the 1st Fareastern Front. There are several other examples as well.

George
Old 07-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #9
medals73

Nice thread. I'd forgotten it. Thanks for bumping.

Here are some crossover groups (documented, researched, somewhat translated) I have: #1- untranslated so largely a mystery to to me; #2- a boring (?) supply guy, but I like it; #3- jubilee OPW but a wartime gallantry for fixing broken telephone lines, so many will yawn.

Also a simple Red Star/VoJ pair to Chief of the Mine Sapper Service of the 628th Aerodrome Service Battalion.

For the entire period of the military actions against Japan, Markоv manifested himself as an organizer of the battle against Japanese soldiers. In August in Pechian he lead the battle against the attacking group of Japanese soldiers during which he himself killed six samurais, thus gaining victory in the battle despite having inferior forces. On the same date in Banzahe during an aerodrome reconnaissance he detected and neutralized 18 mines. On 21 August on the Lagan aerodrome he discovered and neutralized 24 air bombs. Acting in all aspects of the combat he demonstrated knowledge and mastery of skills.

Prior to war he was a top-ranking student in the military and political training. He is a commander who is devoted to the Party of Lenin and Stalin.

Conclusion: As a disciplined, brave and determined in combat commander he deserves the governmental award, order of the RED STAR.

One more, to unit Commander of machine-gun section, 348th artillery machine-gun battalion, Marines, Northern Fleet.

And one more to a chap in the 114th Guards Long Range Bomber Regiment who found a job after the war.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prokh.jpg (97.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Guzmedals.jpg (99.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Resh-01a.jpg (100.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg tuz00-a.jpg (98.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Pan-1.jpg (100.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
Esteban_cool

Re: The war against agression (Imperial Japan)

Ed, I just loved all of your groups
And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

The Who, Won't get fooled again