The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Soviet Sphere > Mongolian People's Republic > Mongolian Badges > State Security/Border Guards/Internal Services

Old 04-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
medals73

"Special Committee Of State Security" Badge.

Special Committee of State Security

D13
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d13.jpg (91.8 KB, 13 views)
medals73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
deValcourt

Re: Mongolian Security Service Badges

[QUOTE=medals73;123300]Sorry it has taken me so long to get these up. While there is not a great deal of interest in these, I did want to add to this thread. QUOTE]

Uhm, I know of at least two people who are very interested in these and so what if I'm one of them.:D And I have to partially thank you for my interest.:thumbsup

Anyway, I knew the first two badges in the side-by-side photos were larger than most, but I did not know they almost dwarf the "Honored Chekist" badges - especially the first of the two. There is a photo in the Battushig book that shows the Ministry of Interior badge among other Mongolian orders and the tiny by comparison Soviet XVth anniversary of the OGPU all being worn. What is most interesting to me is that the OGPU badge is "first in line," so to speak.

Phillip

Last edited by deValcourt; 04-11-2010 at 03:04 AM. Reason: previously missing word added in italics and underlined
deValcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
Nota Bene

Medals73,

Thanks for the information and scans. You know me, I love to see front and back pictures :)

Alexei
Nota Bene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:02 AM   #4
deValcourt

I've always wondered what "special committee" meant in English regarding Mongolian state security. I can only guess they are analogous to the "OO" KGB departments.:confused: As far as I know, those were the guys who were assigned the tasks no other departments or directorates wanted to take responsibility for.

Phillip
Old 04-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
Nota Bene

Soviet OOs were counterintelligence. I assume it the same would be true for Mongolia.

Alexei
Nota Bene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:49 PM   #6
deValcourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nota Bene View Post
Soviet OOs were counterintelligence. I assume it the same would be true for Mongolia.

Alexei
Really? Just counterintelligence? So the guys in the Second Chief Directorate as well as those in the 3rd (military counterintelligence) and 6th (economic counterintelligence) were all OOs in the Soviet KGB? It seems that the Mongolians had a more specific purpose for their Special Services, to my mind at least. Obviously I could be mistaken on this point since I have no references on Mongolian State Security other than tacit or tangential information given when discussing the Cheka's involvement in their Mongolian counterparts.

Phillip

Last edited by CtahhR; 09-21-2011 at 08:52 AM.
deValcourt is offline   Reply With Quote