The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 05-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
Dave

Looking for Soviet Awards to Americans

Greetings all!

Well, this is my first visit back to the forum since March of 2010, and before that, I was last on the forum in 2008. So long ago! In the meantime, I haven't started collecting Soviet awards again, BUT, I have been enlisted to write a book about a topic I know well...Soviet awards to Americans during WW2.

Specifically, I am looking for orders and medals issued to US Navy personnel during WW2. I know of two awards out there: Order of Glory 3rd Class to Cecil Haycraft (formerly in my collection) and the same award to Bernard Sissler.

The Sissler award was sold on eBay several years ago, back in June 2009. I am trying to track down the new owner of the group so I can use the photos/scans for my book (I cannot use them without his/her permission).

I am also looking for any other documented awards to US Navy personnel that may be out there, dating from 1944 or 1945. I know of items from the groups of William Tepuni and Jeremiah Mahoney that are in collector's hands, but not their Soviet awards. Likewise, I know of at least a dozen Soviet awards that have been lost (maybe sold, maybe given away, etc.) by the families...location unknown.

If anyone happens to have anything to any US Navy recipient from WW2, please contact me. I am also interested in doing a small section with the 2012 awards of the Russian Federation to US Navy personnel, so I would be interested in any of those as well.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give!

Dave
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

There's a good start here - http://soviet-awards.com/forum/sovie...personnel.html

Also http://soviet-awards.com/forum/sovie...riendship.html
Old 05-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
matteti

Re: Looking for Soviet Awards to Americans

Hello Dave! Nice to see you are still around. Unfortunately, I can't help directly with your request due to my small and common collection. But I was wondering if there were some tricks we could do on podvigNaroda to extract that kind of records. When i have time, i will give it a try and let you know.

Good luck in this endeavour and keep us posted!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtahhR View Post
Thanks! I had forgotten about the second award...I should really track the LCDR down and see if I can include his award. That would be rather interesting. I don't want to go overboard on post-WW2 awards, but I do think they are neat and it would nicely "tie up" questions some folks may have.

Now the first thread...some good new entries. And it was fun reading the stuff I posted ages ago. Great memories.

Keep it coming!

Dave
Old 05-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteti View Post
Hello Dave! Nice to see you are still around. Unfortunately, I can't help directly with your request due to my small and common collection. But I was wondering if there were some tricks we could do on podvigNaroda to extract that kind of records. When i have time, i will give it a try and let you know.

Good luck in this endeavour and keep us posted!
Thanks! I appreciate it!

I dug out my old records from the JOMSA article I wrote on the topic back in 2004-2006 and was curious if I could do a bit more research. Eight months later, I'm in contact with about half of the recipient's families or the actual veterans themselves. By the end of the year, I plan on visiting all of them (the ones that have the medals, of course) and photographing what they have. Should be exciting! My goal is to be in contact with the families of all of the recipients...so I'm working hard at making it happen.

Dave
Old 05-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
slava1stclass

Looking for Soviet Awards to Americans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Greetings all!

Specifically, I am looking for orders and medals issued to US Navy personnel during WW2. I know of two awards out there: Order of Glory 3rd Class to Cecil Haycraft (formerly in my collection) and the same award to Bernard Sissler.

Dave
Dave,

Apropos. Currently on the well-known auction site. Per the item description: "ORIGINAL RARE WWII RIBBON BAR RACK TO USN PILOT WITH BRITISH DFC/RUSSIAN ORDER OF GLORY. Bought from local veteran's estate. Very rare custom embroidered rack to a WWII/Korea Naval Aviator who earned US & British DFC, Russian Order of Glory 3rd Class etc. He was one of very few Naval Aviators with this medal combination. Both were awarded for his part in destroying a German U-boat. A copy of his military bio will be included. Guaranteed original!"

Good luck.

Regards,

slava1stclass
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USN Glory.jpg (52.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg USN Glory 2.jpg (58.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg USN Glory 3.jpg (32.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slava1stclass View Post
Dave,

Apropos. Currently on the well-known auction site. Per the item description: "ORIGINAL RARE WWII RIBBON BAR RACK TO USN PILOT WITH BRITISH DFC/RUSSIAN ORDER OF GLORY. Bought from local veteran's estate. Very rare custom embroidered rack to a WWII/Korea Naval Aviator who earned US & British DFC, Russian Order of Glory 3rd Class etc. He was one of very few Naval Aviators with this medal combination. Both were awarded for his part in destroying a German U-boat. A copy of his military bio will be included. Guaranteed original!"

Good luck.

Regards,

slava1stclass
Quite odd...I know the seller and I know the group. I'm surprised he's splitting it up. Here are some photos of the group he has...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HARMON_GROUP.jpg (83.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 05-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Quite odd...I know the seller and I know the group. I'm surprised he's splitting it up. Here are some photos of the group he has...
Just talked to him...this set of ribbons is a spare from the group. This recipient's nephew really wants to get the group back into the family, so I was surprised that the seller was splitting it up (he's a really good guy as well).

Whew.

Dave
Old 05-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
PaulR

That is a great set. It is a shame to see it broken up. I am sure that an attributed ribbon bar like that can go for a huge sum. I wonder what became of his OGIII?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #10
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Are they "spare" as they were "made up" and the recipient never wore them? Otherwise keeping them would be part of keeping the group "complete"

"Spare" seems rather strange terminology to me.

It is also amazing how many really good guys have not stood up to the lure of the all mighty dollar.