The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #1031
deValcourt

Help for a diplomatic/political grad badge display

This could and will eventually go in the "How to Display Soviet Awards" thread, but I need a little help first. MY APOLOGIES FOR THE PICTURE QUALITY. I WAS IN A HURRY AND THIS IS JUST THE FIRST STAGE.

I picked up a cheap folding frame from Wal-Mart and I just put the badges more or less how they will finally be arranged. However, I need some more info on these badges because I am always getting some of them mixed up - even with reference books. I am especially confused about which, if any, of these badges are from the MGIMO, and the badge on the bottom right is the one that has confused me for the longest time. From what I've read, it has something to do with "friendship among peoples" - sort of like the order, but I have my doubts about that translation and maybe even the source of info I have. One of the things I like about the folding frame is that it can be closed for carrying, moving around or just safekeeping.

I think they are in the order from highest down (I wouldn't say any of them are "lowest"). Below is what I have from translation so far. I have the whole left side of the frame for text, so more details are better and I can edit it down to what will fit on that side of the frame. I would especially like to know for certain when each of these academies were founded and by whom (or what agency).

Thanks in advance for any data,
Phillip

Text:
(Upper Left) Diplomatic Academy – Ministry of Foreign Affairs USSR. By decision of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union together with the Council of Ministers of the USSR, the Higher School of Diplomacy was transformed in 1974 into the Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

MGIMO graduates underwent a one-year internship in the Diplomatic Academy. As a rule without this training, they did not rise to the next rank of either 2nd or 1st Secretary.

(Upper Right) Higher School of Diplomacy. In June 1934, in accordance with the decision of the Secretariat of the Central Committee of the CPSU of the USSR it established a training institute for diplomatic and consular staff:
-
(Center) Moscow State Institute of Foreign Relations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diplomatic-political badges.jpg (94.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Political badges 2.jpg (65.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Political badges 3.jpg (38.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 10-13-2011, 02:40 AM   #1032
Lapa

Re: Help for a diplomatic/political grad badge display

Phillip,

I am not sure that the bottom two badges have much to do with the diplomatic service.
. the bottom left one is from the university training the future Party executives (Академия общественных наук при ЦК КПСС)
. the bottom right one a standard pedagogic university graduate badge.

You were making reference to a Friendship of Nation university. Most likely, you are refering to the Lumumba's Friendship of Nations University in Moscow. Once again, it has very little to do with the Diplomatic corps, as it was originally created to provide higher education to students from all of the then friendly countries (hence its name).

Marc

PS: by the way, if you - or anybody else - ever get spares of the first three badges, feel free to contact me

Last edited by Lapa; 10-13-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #1033
deValcourt

Yeah, I know the bottom two are not diplomatic corp badges, but I was planning the display around the idea of academies/universities that only the party elite would have gotten into.

Do you know anything moe about the bottom two, i.e., when they were founded and what the main purpose was? The reference books I'm using said that the last badge was the "friendship" university badge. Also, I still don't know which (if any) is the badge for the MGIMO.

And by the by, I thought I had sent you an email regarding one of the badges like the center one being for sale on ePay about 2 months ago; however, I don't think you would have liked/agreed with the final sale price.

Phillip
Old 10-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #1034
Lapa

Phillip,

Are you implying that I am a cheapskate?

Regarding the bottom right badge, after double-checking with my long-haired dictionary, it is not specific to the University of Friendship of Nations, it is simply a standard Pedagogic University graduation badge.

Marc
Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #1035
aironmeiden

Very nice display Phil! I like it
aironmeiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #1036
deValcourt

When it is complete, I'll post it in the correct section.

And Marc, you are not a "cheapskate" - you simply have had access for many years to awards that few people can afford anymore and you have seen them, from what I can gather, when they were 10s of dollars rather than 100s or 1000s. You, like people such as Alexei and Paul have been collecting long enough to walk away from obviously inflated prices.

I know you were just giving me a "nudge, nudge; wink, wink, say no more..." but I think you and the the others I mentioned deserve some recognition for having been collectors for so long and having collections that should be the envy of any sane forum member/collector of Soviet awards/cloth.

Phillip
Old 01-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #1037
lenin501

Re: How to display Soviet awards

Personally I don`t like to display my awards, I prefer to keep them in wood boxes inside the drawers away from dust, sunlight, etc. I try really hard to preserve the condition of my medals.

Here are some pictures of my modest collection
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00248.jpg (49.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00249.jpg (49.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00250.jpg (48.1 KB, 70 views)

I. V. Stalin
lenin501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #1038
EricFG

Excellent collection!!!
Do you like DDR medals?
Old 01-16-2012, 04:57 AM   #1039
lenin501

Thanks Eric

Yes, I do. Actually I like awards from all Warsaw pact countries but so far I only have Soviet, Polish, Romanian and DDR medals.

I. V. Stalin
lenin501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:06 AM   #1040
Sergei

Just one possibility, I guess. Had to dismantle this one but took a final picture. Even though it's a cheap MDF (or some such) frame the medals did not tarnish excessively after three years - that was my greatest fear.
Sergei
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0057.jpg (100.2 KB, 28 views)
Sergei is offline   Reply With Quote