The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 01-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Author Call - Soviet Collectors Unite!

Sometime in 2012 I issued a challenge for authors/writers for articles on Soviet awards. I wanted to reference the old posting here, but for inexplicable reasons the thread has disappeared.

So, I'm reissuing my year offer for $100 in credit to the first three paying forum members who publish a printed article promoting information on Soviet medals, badges, or insignia. Several of you bounced around ideas and asked advice, but I'm not aware of any takers. I'll consider on-line articles and other projects on a one-on-one basis with interested parties contacting me in advance and getting approval. If I have the time, I'll even offer up advice and or other assistance, but the idea is YOU do the lion share of the work.

For example, forum member medals73 published an informative article "Not the 'Hunt for Red October': Captain-Lieutenant Vladimir Vasil'evich Vas'kovskii" in the NOV-DEC 12 article of the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America. He may claim his prize if he abides by the special preconditions in his particular case. Ctahhr may also be a taker on the old offer.

Thus, collectors of the world unite and let's promote the hobby in print!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Re: Author Call - Soviet Collectors Unite!

I should add this offer stand for 2013. If we have success or not, I may continue in 2014 if we're not annihilated by a belated Mayan apocalypse due to cosmic day-light savings or leap year.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
PaulR

While I am not a paying member, I am up for the challange. I am taking a Russian History course(1825 to present) as part of my degree program. Would it be considered cheating if I killed two birds with one stone and wrote one of my essays on an order and the person it is named after(for example- Alexander Nevsky). Of course, I am aware that I will not be eligible for the reward offered, but I love to write and the thought of contributing to the hobby.

Last edited by PaulR; 01-05-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

The article I had published was not on Soviet awards but another regime covered somewhere in this forum.

I'm not going to "pimp" it but it is something you may come across. Mainly about agricultural awards.

If someone wishes me to write about a topic particular for their publication or would like photographs of any of my items to enhance their own work, all they need do is ask.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
While I am not a paying member, I am still up for the challange. I am taking a Russian History course(1825 to present) as part of my degree program. Would it be considered cheating if I killed two birds with one stone and wrote one of my essays on an order and the person it is based upon(for example- Alexander Nevsky).
No, it wouldn't be cheating, but I too am trying to kill two birds by promoting Soviet collecting and website membership. We seem to be getting used to everything being free, however Art doesn't have that luxury by providing us a service. I would also argue that good things are worth paying for. Membership isn't too odious at $20 either - several of you pay that in postage alone to receive items...
Old 01-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
Auke

It's almost a year ago that I submitted my article to JOMSA, so either the editor wants to spread out articles on non-American awards, or his article pool is just too large (or I'm a horrible writer )
Old 01-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

They have American awards too now?

If there was enough interest I'd be happy to participate in the creation of a Soviet (et al.) periodical. By the collectors, for the collectors.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
Tommy

Hi guys, inspired by this thread I’ve been bitten by the writing bug again and was looking for everyone’s help.

If people could be so kind as to provide me with information on/pictures of any Labour Awards they may have, from single awards to documented groups, awarded between October 1964 & November 1982 that would be greatly appreciated. Please drop me a PM if you think you have anything that would help .

Thanks everyone!

Tom
Old 01-08-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
USSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by desantnik View Post
No, it wouldn't be cheating, but I too am trying to kill two birds by promoting Soviet collecting and website membership. We seem to be getting used to everything being free, however Art doesn't have that luxury by providing us a service. I would also argue that good things are worth paying for. Membership isn't too odious at $20 either - several of you pay that in postage alone to receive items...
I didn't even know there was a way of being a paying member... Anyway, I just subscribed!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Labour awards from where?