The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 03-11-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
new world

Group splitting on auctions

Don't you hate it when sellers split the groups and list each item individually?

I just went through terrible experience when seller put for sale bunch of items from various groups. I placed my bets and here's what happened:

- I convinced the seller to keep ONE group intact and sell it outside the auction (luckily this is the most interesting one - to important historical figure, although it cost me heavy premium, about twice of what I would have paid on the auction),

- I won ALL items from ONE group,

- I won SOME items from FIVE other groups (I was outbid on the rest).

I am so pi**ed of at this point violent.gif : the groups survived through over 60 years of turbullent history and now they are split between multiple winners.

I'd like to keep the groups together if possible at this point. How to re-unite the items ready to go aover several countries?

What would you do in my situation?

William

Last edited by new world; 03-11-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2007, 06:31 PM   #2
EricFG

>I'd like to keep the groups together if possible at this point.
>How to re-unite the items ready to go over several countries?
>What would you do in my situation?
Very noble of you to keep things together. Very few have the wherewithall and understanding to do that.
What to do? If you can get in touch with the winners of the split awards try reasoning with them and trading a similar award for what they bought.
Some might be willing to keep history alive, especially if they get something similar in return.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
Nota Bene

William,

Before it's too late e-mail the other bidders and explain the situation to them, hopefully they will understand.

Alexei
Old 03-11-2007, 09:16 PM   #4
ericlida

Quote:
Originally Posted by new world View Post
Don't you hate it when sellers split the groups and list each item individually?

I'd like to keep the groups together if possible at this point. How to re-unite the items ready to go aover several countries?

What would you do in my situation?

William

William,
I agree with Alexei. From my personal experience I worked on keeping together Space group of Menyailo. I wrote to people who won other awards. I lost few awards. I was able to get majority back, thanks to our Forum members. Unfortunately, one person did not responed, even I wrote 4 times
I also tried to put back military group of the same person, - it was unsuccessful. I got answers from people that they don't want to sell or trade their medals.
Try to contact buyer. Offer them $$ or trade.
Good luck
Eric
Old 03-11-2007, 10:38 PM   #5
new world

Thank you all for the response!

I contacted other winners, let's see if any of them respond.

The fact that makes me mad - seller was a collector and certainly knows the importance of groups staying together. However, he is liquidating his collection and refused to do anything about the groups as there were bids at the time I contacted him...

William
Old 03-12-2007, 01:28 AM   #6
jefflgarrison

Same thing happened with my ORS to the Bulgarian soldier. There was an OPGW2 that went with it but was sold separately.

I tried to contact the winner but he never answered. I even offered to pay for all shipping and privide him with an OPGW2 of the same quality with a lower number.

No reply. I am now hoping that when I get the research back there was no OPGW2 awarded to this soldier.

Who will come to us with a feather - will be tickled by a feather!" - citation of Alexander Nevski
Old 03-12-2007, 08:47 AM   #7
Sergei

May be a good idea to give the other buyers a link to this thread; some people out there may be anxious dealing with strangers or may not have thought about this issue at all.
Sergei
Old 03-12-2007, 04:27 PM   #8
Dave

Long ago, I bought an admiral's group from a noted forum member. It was a great and complete group. A year later, another forum member posted up a photo of the admiral on his website that wasn't with the group! Turns out that said forum member had once owned an entire paper group to the same admiral! A year after that, another forum member contacted me because he knew of my group on my website, and told me that there were some items on eBay from the same admiral. Unfortunately, I missed all the auctions. But, I was able to buy several auctions that didn't have a high bidder, and found that only three bidders had bought everything else. I e-mailed all three. Two of them never responded, but the one that bought almost everything responded and was willing to sell the items at my offered DOUBLE of the price he paid! So, I spent twice as much as he did, but it brought back most of the group together, even though he had paid "retail" for the items to begin with! Painful, but it worked...

Dave