The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 01-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
Riley1965

Resources for new book

After reading 35 books and three more to go I have sarted to write a companion book to my Campaign Medals book. It will be about those campaigns. I estimate that it will be 450-500 oages and Hardbound. What I need is sources for Battle Maps and pictures for the book. My mentor steered me to free use maps on Wikipedia. I now need good maps and pictures for the book. I was thinking about the U.S. National Archives. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Doc
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
Kirchgoens

Re: Resources for new book

I've researched in the National Archives before. It's been a decade, but I remember that I had to take a class about the rules, and then they issued me the card. The Beltsville Center is where you'll probably find the sort of thing you want (but I have no idea what the Soviet-related stuff would be like). I don't know how it is now, but I'd guess it's easier now to bring in things like computers and scanners. Back then, you couldn't, and had to pay some expensive licensed photo vendors to make any sort of copies.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
Alfred

Make your own map´s. Here is an example.

Here you can get battle maps.

RKKA in World War II
regards
Andreas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kaukasus Buch2.jpg (58.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
Auke

I really wouldn't use Wikipedia's maps; these are usually made by amateurs and you simply don't know if they are accurate. I would ask somebody with Photoshop skills to create maps and then use order of battle information from sources you can trust. NEVER trust Wikipedia! You could consider making the maps yourself, but that's not as easy as it sounds if you want them to look professionally and takes a lot of time.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
medals73

Cartography, like medicine or doing historical research, is a skill that takes a lot of time to learn. If you can find copyright-free maps that are adequate, fine. Otherwise you'll need to spend a lot of money with someone who is a professional and using a much better tool than Photoshop. To see good maps, glance at those in Schmitt's Echoes of War.

Better to have no maps than to have incorrect or useless maps. We need no more poison of persistent errors and malignant "knowledge" dumped into the communal well of knowledge.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
Riley1965

I need good quality pictures and maps for this book. I want it to be accurate and have battle maps and combat pictures to add that touch to a book that makes it come alive. I went to the website that Alfred suggested and I found a lot of pics/maps with information about the unit and where they are, i.e. Leningrad Front. While researching I made notes of tidbits of information not commonly known. I want this to be a very good resource and I feel that the maps and pictures will add to the understanding of what the Soviets went through in 1941-1945.

Doc
Old 01-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
Riley1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by medals73 View Post
Cartography, like medicine or doing historical research, is a skill that takes a lot of time to learn. If you can find copyright-free maps that are adequate, fine. Otherwise you'll need to spend a lot of money with someone who is a professional and using a much better tool than Photoshop. To see good maps, glance at those in Schmitt's Echoes of War.

Better to have no maps than to have incorrect or useless maps. We need no more poison of persistent errors and malignant "knowledge" dumped into the communal well of knowledge.
I would love to have the quality of maps that he used in his book. That's what I'm looking for.

Doc
Old 01-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
medals73

Quote:
Originally Posted by riley1965 View Post
I would love to have the quality of maps that he used in his book. That's what I'm looking for.

Doc
Contact the same chap? He is the son of a good friend (who is a MASTER cartographer). Paul might be able to help?
Old 01-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
Auke

You can of course ask a professional to design the maps, but that costs a lot of money, in the end making the book more expensive. Maps with the same quality as in Echoes of War can definately be created with Photoshop and are not that complicated to design (maybe Paul's designer did use Photoshop, I don't know), so it would be most ideal if you could find someone with Photoshop skills that is willing to design the maps.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:52 PM   #10
Riley1965

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I really want this to be a good book that people would want to own and read.

Doc