The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 04-05-2003, 04:56 PM   #11
Ed Maier

William,

I'm not an expert on British research, so someone please correct me, but I think that British research has some limitations do to their privacy rules where the archives are closed until 80 years after the fact. So W.W.I archives are just now beginning to open.

I believe that people research the names on the WWI medals through rolls published in newspapers or other publications. WWII British medals are not named for most part.

U.S. medals can be researched if they are named. The KIA medals are easier to research and it does take time, but can be rewarding.

I have no idea about German research.

Either way, its a great way to preser the historical story behind the medal and add to the memory of the receipient.

Take care,
Ed Maier
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2003, 03:36 AM   #12
Mozzabloke

British WWI Research

Just to add to what has Ed said about British WWI medals.

I tried to research my Great Grandfather who died in 1916 in the somme. I was told that approx 98% of the personnel files non officers was destroyed in the second world war when the archive took a direct hit from German bombers. I was also lead to believe that what records there are left are recoverd from that bombing and can also be incomplete due to fire damage.

Mark
Old 04-06-2003, 03:58 AM   #13
Doug Scott

This is an interesting thread. I am 50 years old and did not start collecting medals of any kind, until I was detailed over here to the Republic of Georgia.

When I arrived over here, I immediately became interested in the Imperial Russian medals and orders which I have purchased many, many of. The Imperial Russian orders, in my opinion, are just beautiful!!! Then I went with a friend to see his "medal man" who sold mostly Soviet Russian orders and medals. I was hooked.

I decided to focus on the rare Soviet orders and medals. Since I have been over here, I have purchased a 28 medal set of a HSU with all docs and a HSL with all docs, just to mention a few things.
I have a suitcase full of medals, orders and badges.

I have also picked up quite a few German and Bulgarian items while over here.

It's in my blood now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2003, 12:08 PM   #14
Tweakette

I've just started collecting, myself. Only been at it for about a year. The primary reason that I'm doing it is for my nephews (I have no kids of my own).
I grew up in the shadow of the Cold War, and they were born after the S.U. had collapsed. I'm trying to preserve a little bit of history for them (as well as myself - I could've chosen any topic to collect on, I guess, but this one interests me on many levels).
My grandmother collect coins for the boy grandchild and dolls for us girls (I would've rather had the coins, but I appreciate the effort ::grin:.

My "strategy" is not primarily militaria, though I do have some of that. I collect stuff that is representative (to me) of Soviet culture, and what I have is usually made of metal as it doesn't disintegrate like cloth (and it's smaller). I have one of those nifty Vostok space clocks, a bunch of tea glass holders (am looking for the one with the hydroelectric dam on it), a bunch of Lenin-head pins, and of course some medals and orders. Plus this weird little flip-over metal calendar with pictures of Leningrad on it, and a bunch of Kremlin silverware.
I'm planning on branching out into some stamps, some postcards, and pre-1991 money at some point, though I prefer metal over paper.

I prefer stuff that isn't too expensive (I have a limited budget) and has either the hammer/sickle or CCCP on it.

I've found that I've gotten much more interested in Soviet military history (WW2, in particular) since I started doing this. I'm currently working my way through "When Titans Clashed".

Liz
Old 04-07-2003, 01:29 PM   #15
HuliganRS

My Strategy...

I guess my strategy is a bit different than most...
Most people concentrate on a specific "theme" so to say.

Since I was born there and military and history was a major part of me growing up in the former USSR, I decided to collect all medals and orders. I know that I will never have Order of Victory or Suvorov 1, Ushakov 1 & Nakhimov 1 but everything else is more or less within reach! Lately I became very interested in major types & variations, so now I added that to my list and slowly stared to add pieces to my collection. Although I do not see myself getting Khmelmnitsky 2 in all types and variations I do see myself buying BoH screwback and flatback to add to my existing pieces.

As you may have noticed, the only true strategy is to collect what makes you happy!

Rusty.
Member #193
Old 04-07-2003, 02:48 PM   #16
Market Garden

Collect what you like

Although there is no right or wrong way to collect, I collect what I like using a very simple strategy. I collect what I find aesthetically pleasing and affordable. I also prefer quality over quantity and don't limit myself to a paticular country, time period or type of medals/orders.

John
Old 04-08-2003, 03:34 AM   #17
otlichnik

What I love about this thread is the great diversity of collectors. It is great to read about what others collect and why. It would be boring if we all collected the same thing - plus it would drive up prices and scarcity.

Tweakette,

Welcome to the forum. It is interesting to hear about collectors with a cultural focus. I have met several others over the years ranging from die-hard communists to artists to pop-culture vultures. It is also good to have a female member in a hobby which has been dominated for far too long by men. Even if you are collecting "for your nephews" (ha, you'll soon be fully sucked in yourself).

You have found a great source for your intro into Soviet WWII history. David Glantz is the best modern scholar studying the wartime Soviet military. I'd say that "When Titans Clashed" is the single best book on the subject.

Shawn
Old 04-08-2003, 03:57 PM   #18
Tweakette

Thanks for the welcome. And you're right - I am collecting for myself as well, just as my grandmother did with the dolls. She never asked me if I liked dolls, just like I never asked my nephews if they were interested in Soviet doodads . But it is nice to have something to leave them one day.

I definitely have noticed that there are few women doing this. I guess the topic doesn't interest most women. I'm not a communist, either - just someone who is interested in history and it's remnants.
I'm also falling in love with really good enamel. The enamel on old orders and badges is just gorgeous. Unfortunately, I can't afford most of them....

What really spurred me on was about a year ago I was working on a project with a Russian consultant who had been in the Red Army for 30 years. One day he, I and another co-worker (who is a major in the Air National Guard) were talking and they started talking military stuff. Turns out they were the same rank (or had been), just on opposite sides until 1991.
I sat there fascinated as the 2 of them swapped stories for more than 2 hours.

It was shortly after that that I started prowling Ebay ::lol:::

Liz

Last edited by Tweakette; 04-08-2003 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:29 AM   #19
ericlida

This is my first Thread at the Forum, so I am little bit nervous. The first, I would like to say thank you to everybody for your welcome.
Why I started collecting Soviet Medals and Orders? I came to the US 13 years ago. I am 50 years old now. Since I was 6 years old during all my life in USSR I had a hobby, collecting Soviet stamps. Leaving USSR I was not able (did not want) to take my great collection with me. I am probably a collector in my blood. For all these 13 years I thought about collecting something. I tried different things, but in one week or month everythig would become boring for me. It was not mine.
In 1989 I bought Order of Lenin (in Kiev). I brought this Order to the US with the goal to sell it for $10.000 (ha,ha). Of course I did not sell it. Last year in November I saw Order of Victory (copy) at Soviet Collection Magazine. I decided, what if I buy it and put together interesting set “Highest Awards of Soviet Union” (Lenin, Victory, HSU, HSL). I will frame and it will look nice. I had no idea about eBay and other collectors.
To make my story short, I don’t know how it happened, but I got into my new hobby like crazy. My collector’s personality plus collecting things that relate to the place where I grew up and know some history make my current hobby very exiting and interesting. I know I will have upps and downs. I know I will have more or less $$ to spend on it. But I hope it will be for very long time. (Only concern I have is after I die, my grandson will probably sell at the garage sale all my collection for .10 cents a piece).
Today as a new collector I try to put sets together (Highest Awards, Mothers, Labor, etc.), frame them. I am planning to cover empty places (expensive items) with fakes, until some day I might be able to buy real once. May be later I will start collecting different types and variations, but it’s not now.
I am in process of learning a lot. I am glad I met all of you guys and able to learn from many people. Collecting Medals became part of my life in the US and I am happy. I know, later I will have changes and will adjust my interests. But today, it’s what I enjoy to do.
My story is very long and boring. As I told it’s my first tread at the Forum and I am very anxious.
Thank again. It’s very interesting to share your thoughts with other people who have the same interests.
Arkady (Eric).

Last edited by ericlida; 04-18-2003 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:06 PM   #20
Chris
Banned

Crack habit

I was asked to get a mother heroine set for a friend as he had seen them on a visit and regretted not buying them.

He asked me.

about 30,000 thousand dollars later ...........................