The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 06-30-2009, 01:22 PM   #21
Commissar

Re: Vietnam War

Haha.
As for Vietnamese awards, I just found that they have a gold star as well, and apparently Brezhnev was awarded one in June of 1980; only 17 of them have been given out since its creation in the 60s and it is the equivalent of the HSU.
Then again it seems most communist or post-communist states have retained "Hero" and Gold star" titles; I see that even Cuba has their own little golden star.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2009, 03:52 PM   #22
Norm Braddock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by desantnik View Post
Before you start sipping Norm juice, smoking dried chisnik, or channeling felines, allow me to clear up any Roswell-type rumors. We are indeed two very different individuals and you can take that to the bank.
LOLOLOLOL I rate this as a 10 outta 10!!!LOLOLOL Dude, ya got a way with words big guy. Tooooooo funny! All of the above are classic but smoking dried chisnik stands out above the rest.LOLOL

Since you mentioned Roswell, I have an easy solution for the Martian invasion. We issue every man , woman and child an M4. When their ships arive we pepper them sons of b's driving them back to their homeland. Ahhh, the real funny thing is that some of you may think that I'm serious.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:26 AM   #23
Lapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapusta Norm View Post
...Dear Mr. Woyko, I don't believe that my esteemed Canadian colleague means any harm or disrespect. I believe that youth plays a factor in this. I am fully confident that he will now omit such comments as he is a fine young lad unlike the rest of us old cranky pardoons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar View Post
Sorry, Lapa.
I'm trying to find more information about this topic since it was brought up, unfortunately I have had no luck.
It seems when looking up Soviets in Vietnam on google all that can appear is information on about 3,000 advisors and nothing beyond that.
I'll stop now. Perhaps I can find a book on the subject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapusta Norm View Post
Lonny buddy, post away dude. I think Mr. Woyko was referring to the Putin remarks. Perhaps it would be good not to post those types of remarks as some may be offended...
Guys,

Not a problem

As Norm rightly pointed out, my outburst was only about the pointless remarks not related to this thread. This topic IS very interesting, and I too would like to hear/learn more about this aspect of Soviet involvement.

Lonny, I never meant that you should stop posting on this topic; just keep to the point and refrain from empty remarks that simply display a caricatural knowledge of Soviet/post-Soviet institutions/personalities/events.

Oh, and Norm, I can confirm that Paul and Rick Research are two different, air-breathing, medal collecting, research conducting creatures (Man, got some spare dried chisneek for a quick fix? )

Marc
Marc
Old 08-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #24
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Returning to the original subject.

I have a friend who was a SSG USMC Mortarman who was in Vietnam from 1966 until 1974 (when he wasn't rotated back due to withdrawal), who was at Khe Sahn amongst other engagements, receiving 18 wounds (from two separate Vietnamese mortar hits) as well as 2 incorrectly issued folded flags. Someone who was certainly "in it". He has held on to his position for nearly 40 years that towards the end of his last tour the Communist forces' situation was becoming more desperate as he was frequently encountering enemy KIAs with heights of 6'2" to 6'4". It is not known what the nationality of these casualties was but with the diverse ethnic make up of Soviet peoples it would not always be so clear cut.

He was there we were not but his conclusion was and is that large "non-Vietnamese" soldiers were reinforcing the Communist Vietnamese forces towards the end of the US involvement.

The number of recollections of US veterans witnessing "large" enemies certainly raises additional questions.

Finding official Soviet Ukazes, Prikazes, Citations, Reports, Service Records, Photographs or anything else confirming the Soviet intervention in Vietnam is a totally different affair.