The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 02-11-2004, 04:49 PM   #71
HuliganRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas of how to get items out of Russia from a Russian seller? Sometimes I find rare but inexpensive badges for sale on the internet in Russia, but they will only ship to Russian addresses. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Keith
Keith,

It really depends where in Russia the seller is. For example if the seller is in Ukraine or Russian Federation (Moscow) then it's very difficult. Then again this usually only applies to orders & medals. I don't see a badge causing any problems.

If the seller is anywhere else in the FSU (Former Soviet Union) then there are no problems sending them out.

I would advise extreme caution buying anything from Russia & Ukraine since there are a number of collectors including myself that got burnt that way.

Rusty.
Member #193
HuliganRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2004, 03:10 AM   #72
otlichnik

Kieth,

Prices in Russia are not much lower than in the USA, including for badges. Almost all rare badges are being faked. It is not easy to find genuine rare badges for a good price on the net in Russia.

Also, those that have a "safe route" from Russia have spent lots of time, effort and maybe money building it up. There is no easy way or everyone would do it.

That is why I buy all my medals, orders and high end uniforms from people in the USA. I let them worry about getting it here.

Shawn
otlichnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 07:47 AM   #73
Chuck In Oregon

I spend a lot of time here in Tbilisi with two very experienced collectors, both Georgians. Two frequent conversation threads are 1) Prices are much higher in Moscow, and 2) Why is this so if buyers can't get their Soviet collectibles out of the country?

It is no problem getting any Soviet collectibles out of Georgia. It simply isn't an issue. I have taken many items back to the US over at least six trips (I lose count). Getting them into the US is equally problem-free. However, that doesn't mean that US Customs won't hassle you anyway.

US Customs always gives me a full-press search when I go back to the states. FWIW, I have never done anything that might alert them to me personally. The last time, last December, they emptied my suitcases and checked all the sides and walls. They put all my collectibles -- and there were a LOT-- aside in one pile. At the end, one guy said "You must have a large collection." I said "Yes, I do." End of story and no duty.

I have been told that US Customs carefully searches all incoming baggage from Georgia in particular. I asked those guys and they denied it. Whom do you believe? I know that I have never gone home from Georgia without a detailed search of my luggage. Sometimes I have thought my bags were lost, only to find out that they were held up by customs for a couple of days. So, there is nothing to stop you from bringing these things in from Georgia, at least, but be prepared to be searched on general principles.

I caution great restraint when even thinking about smuggling anything. Yes, it is fairly common, and a few clever guys get away with it regularly, but can you afford to get caught? I can't.

Just my two cents.

Chuck In Oregon
Currently, Chuck In Tbilisi, Georgia
Chuck In Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 08:59 AM   #74
Keith

Guys,

I agree completely about items being faked in Russia and prices being roughly the same in Moscow. What I like to collect are the otlichnik and honored badges of the different republics. These items are not so expensive (usually about $5-15), but practically impossible to find here or on any dealer website. These items do seem to be readily available in the former USSR. From traveling in the baltic states, I have seen alot of these items in markets and shops, they just never seem to show up for sale on ebay or from any dealers outside of the former USSR. I would much rather pay a higher price to get these items here, but they are simply not available.

Keith
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 04:00 AM   #75
otlichnik

Kieth,

One problem with those badges is they often have a "medals or orders" feel to them. It is hard to convince a border guard that it is not an order or medal - therefore covered under the law, but just a "cheap badge" instead.

Shawn
otlichnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 04:54 PM   #76
scook17

Exporting from the Ex-USSR countries

I know it's illegal to export medals and orders from the former USSR, but what about badges, uniforms, flags, memorbilia, books, weapons etc? What's on the banned list?

I might be visiting Belarus shortly and might buy some stuff, but would not like to try to take out anything I'm not supposed to.

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.

Last edited by Tal Inbar; 06-19-2004 at 11:29 AM.
scook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 06:04 PM   #77
DougD

laws

The laws of Belorus are probably different than Russia proper, but in general older items are illegal to take out of the country ( i.e. pre-1955) while modern items are ok. This is, of course, not set in stone.

DougD
DougD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 02:00 AM   #78
Christophe

Hi Doug,

I would be interested in seeing any of these Russian - or others - texts of law.
Do you have a copy of them, or do you know where to find them (any reference ?).
Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Ch.
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 08:18 AM   #79
Christophe

Russian Law "On export and import of cultural goods".

I found it :

According to the Article 7 and 9 of the Law of Russian Federation “On export and import of cultural goods”, 15 April 1993, N 4804-1,

Following cultural commodities are not subject to export from Russian Federation, and the Law applies to following categories of items :

* Historical values, among them those connected with historical events in the life of the nation, the development of society and State, the history of science and technology, as well as those related to life and activity of outstanding personalities (state persons, political and public figures, scientists and artists)

* Items and their fragments, obtained as a result of archaeological excavations

* Artistic values, among them :

* Paintings and drawings that are fully handmade, on any kind of warp, made of any kind of material;

* Original sculptures made of any kind of material, including relieves;

* Original artistic compositions and montages made of any kind of material;

* Artistically mounted items of religious purpose, including icons;

* Engravings, prints, lithographs and their original printing forms;

* Works of arts and crafts, including works in glass, ceramics, wood, metal, ivory, fabric and other materials;

* Works of traditional folk handicraft;

* Components and fragments of monuments of architecture and historical monuments

* Ancient books, editions of special interest (historical, artistic, scientific and literary), separately or in collections

* Rare manuscripts and documentary relics

* Archives, including photography, sound and film archives

* Unique and rare musical instruments

* Postal stamps, other philatelic materials, separately or in collections

* Ancient coins, orders, medals, seals and other collected items

* Rare collections and samples of flora and fauna, items of interest to the scientific fields of mineralogy, anatomy and palaeontology

* Copies of historical, artistic, scientific or different value, as well as those under protection as historical and cultural relics.

Are there other texts ?

Ch.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:32 AM   #80
Christophe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougD
The laws of Belorus are probably different than Russia proper, but in general older items are illegal to take out of the country ( i.e. pre-1955) while modern items are ok. This is, of course, not set in stone.

DougD
Doug,

Even if it is not set in stone, have you heard about a text of law, or a decree about this ? Or is it common experience that speaks ?

Ch.