The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 07-14-2003, 11:28 AM   #11
Henry Sakaida

Great news! I received a very positive response from my friend in Russia! I will have no problems returning the Hero Star! At first, the military commissar was shocked and incredulous that I had it here in the US! This Hero star belonged to an ethnic Mongolian from the Buryat Republic, and only 5 of them became Heroes, so he was very well known there. So you can imagine their shock. They knew nothing about me and their immediate reaction was very negative. After my friend and the Hero's daughter visited the commissar and explained everything, they really changed their tune! I had planned to diguise the medal and slip it past customs. Won't have to do that anymore.
Thank you very much for your support!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2003, 04:08 AM   #12
Ed_Haynes

While off-topic, I very nearly had some British WWII stars (1939-45, Africa, etc.) confiscated by airport securty in Detroit (Michigan, US) last night, while returning from several months overseas. Apparently they thought they were some odd type of shuriken which I might use for non-State-supported terrorism.

Ed Haynes
Old 07-19-2003, 04:17 AM   #13
Christophe

Ed,

Don't you think "your" estimated airport security guys made a confusion with the US Medal of Honor (itself also a star...) ? Or did they evoke "terrorism support"...

Just an hypothesis... but very bad and sad story in fact...

Ch.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:41 AM   #14
Henry Sakaida

Retired General Joe Foss, the top Marine Corp fighter ace in WWII, and retired South Dakota govenor, had a run in with some young security officere at the airport which made the news a couple of years back. The young guy saw Joe's Medal of Honor, which is shaped like a star. Obviously, it was a medal, but the guy didn't know what the Medal of Honor was (must have flunked history). He stated that he thought the sharp points of the medal could be used to attack someone!
Now remember, Joe Foss was over 80 years old at the time!!! Joe was outraged! The news quickly jumped on it. And security inspector apologized for the flap.
And that is why history is very important today for young people. I once had to surrender my key chain Swiss Army pocket knife...the small utility blade was only 1 1/4" long and 1/4" wide. When I got on the plane and they were serving meals, what do you think I got as tablewear?? A steel serrated knife!!! And this was last year!!!
Old 07-20-2003, 12:32 AM   #15
alanirvine

airport security

I had some medals confiscated by the airport security at the Odessa airport last year.

This year I learned to distribute them in my luggage rather that in a group that will easily show up on their radar. This year I went through Kiev which might have made a difference too.

Alanirvine
Old 07-20-2003, 07:31 AM   #16
new world

Alanirvine,

Congratulations!

What exactly did you manage to bring out of Ukraine?

William
Old 07-20-2003, 08:52 AM   #17
Dave

I tried that too...

I tried the whole distribute-evenly-throughout-luggage thing, and it didn't work for me...

See my post in this thread:

Customs Problems

--Dave
Old 02-10-2006, 05:08 PM   #18
Bob

You are all purposefully trying to break the laws of another country. Why?
Old 02-10-2006, 05:19 PM   #19
DougD

collecting

Bob, do you collect?

dd
Old 02-11-2006, 03:41 PM   #20
tinmoldova
Banned

No such thing as "get out of jail card"!

The phrase "I've also notified the US Embassy in Moscow just in case I need a "get out of jail card" made me shudder; there is no such thing. While in a foreign country, you are under (and must abide by) the laws of that country. If you are arrested (which is the risk you run for trying to export what many CIS states consider national patrimony), the only thing the U.S. Embassy can do for you is perhaps visit you in jail within three or so days, at which time they can provide you a list of attorneys who have offered their services to American citizens. And then you are on your own. There will be no official charging to your rescue on a white horse!!!!!!