The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 12-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
Art
Forum Founder

Tourists held captive in Solomon Islands

Forum Members,

This was forwarded to me by this Henry Sakaida, author and long-time contributor of original articles to this website. This month's article (1 of 2 parts) featured Henry and his friend Justin Taylan traveling across Mongolia to visit the famous Khalkin Gol battlefield.

Unfortunately Justin Taylan is being held captive by Solomon Island authorities awaiting trial for supposedly entering the country illegally. Here is a message from him:

----- Original Message -----
To: xxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2007 9:37 PM
Subject: Tourists Held Captive In Solomon Islands

Dear Friends & Colleagues,

I would like to share with you an important news release about my absence from email & regular contact.

My friends & I inadvertently observed the largest single salvage of WW2 Japanese aircraft wrecks, from Ballale Island.

I would like your help to make sure the truth about or captivity and charges are known to you, by sending the news release below.

After 18 days of being held without charges, we were arrested for 'illegal entry to Solomons", and have plead not guilty. Our trial is on Wednesday, December 12th at 9am in Gizo Court.

Also, to make you aware of the new website: Taylan Defense & Support Fund

For any future emails related to this matter, please use: justin@taylandefensefund.org
Our entire group is a part of this single defense fund. It is based in the USA for PR and financial considerations.

"NEVER GIVE UP"
- Justin Taylan, Yoji Sakaida & Rodney Pearce

For Immediate Release
TOURISTS HELD CAPTIVE IN SOLOMON ISLANDS
One American’s Battle to Save World War II History in the South Pacific

SOLOMON ISLANDS — December 10, 2007 — American, Justin Taylan, 30, of Hyde Park, New York, has been held captive five weeks since November 6, 2007 in the Solomon Islands, a tiny Pacific island nation off the east coast of Australia. Taylan is founder of a non-profit history website detailing World War II stories and Pacific theater airplane wrecks. Traveling by boat from Papua New Guinea, he hoped to explore relics from the Battle of Guadalcanal.

Also held in custody by Solomon authorities are Taylan’s colleagues Yoji Sakaida, 41, of Chiba, Japan, World War II enthusiast and graphic designer, Rodney Pearce, 57, citizen of Australia and the ship’s captain.

On November 6, they inadvertently stumbled upon a salvage operation underway at Ballale Island, part of the famous Battle of Guadalcanal. “There are more World War II plane wrecks there than anywhere else in the world,” Taylan said. “We saw six Zero fighters, a Val dive bomber and a Betty bomber being removed. That’s why all this started.”

The group drew the attention of the salvagers. The Royal Solomon Island Police Force confiscated their passports, photos, and videotapes placing them in detention without charges. They have since been charged with illegally entering the country and pleaded innocent since they crossed borders through a published port of entry and in accordance with Solomon Islands law. Trial is set for December 12 and the maximum sentence is three years in jail.

Taylan testified in September 2006 before Papua New Guinea Parliament National Parliament in the “Inquiry into the National Museum and Art Gallery and the Sale and Export of the Swamp Ghost Aircraft.” He received an official commendation from the governing body that his “evidence as to the extent of the removal of these aircraft over the last decade and the complicity of the Museum to be of great assistance.”

The grandson of World War II combat photographer Carl Thien, Taylan gained an appreciation for Pacific War air battles early on. As a teenager, his grandfather returned with him to the Papua New Guinea to photograph wrecks in their original locations.

More information, photos, and updates are available at Taylan Defense & Support Fund. Interviews with Taylan may be arranged through the press ontact listed above.

PACIFICWRECKS.COM
Taylan searches out wrecks, safeguards human remains, and returns dog tags and other artifacts to surprised veterans. He is founder of PacificWrecks.com, a free, non-profit history website detailing World War II stories and Pacific theater airplane wrecks. that draws 45,000 hits a month. He produces and distributes his own historical documentaries and has appeared on The History Channel and PBS.

Taylan was featured in the November 2007 issue of Smithsonian Magazine in an article titled “Swamp Ghosts: In Papua New Guinea, a journalist investigates the controversy over a World War II bomber.” He wrote his first book about the war, “No Place for a Picnic,” at age 16 and has since been published in many historical and flight publications and spoken on this topic around the world.

-end
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
Art
Forum Founder

39th Day in Captivity, Third Day in Court

The day actually started early, at 1:00 a.m., when I got a call from NPR (National Public Radio) in New York’s morning show, the Bryant Park Project. They had read the news, and requested an interview, which would take place at around 12:45 p.m. local time, 9:45 a.m. Eastern. It sure is a surreal “technological” moment to have our Solomon Islands cell phone ring and, on the other side, to hear New York.

They patched me into the show, and as I waited I could hear the tail end of the previous story, about Oscar picks and the he-said-she-said of Hollywood gossip relating to the nominations. Then the hosts, Alison and Luke, queue me up, introduce the story, and I was on! I was only able to answer one question before the line went dead. Back in contact, they recorded a 5- or 6-minute interview to tape, which they’ll play on the Friday show. They wished me luck. I asked them to eat a slice of New York pizza for me. That is one thing from home that I am missing right now!

Court resumed at 9:00 a.m. Today, the audience had grown by a few people, and both observers’ benches were full. The prosecution finished its case within the first hour and a half, and the magistrate called a short 15-minute recess.

Returning, it was time to begin our defense. I was the first witness called to speak and be cross-examined. The witness box looked like a shipping crate on its side, with a single, well-worn Bible on top of it. Taking the stand, I was sworn in. Unlike American courts, where the witness places a hand on the Bible, witnesses in Solomon Islands court hold the Bible up in the air while taking an oath to tell the truth. Many pages were loose and sticking out. I was worried that a page would fall out when I picked it up and took my oath. Luckily, the binding held firm.

I have seen plenty of courtroom dramas and TV court, but this was the first time I have ever been to court myself, let alone on trial. I learned quickly to shorten my answers to the most concise statement possible, as both the magistrate and the prosecutor had to write them out by hand. There was no typist, no microphone, nor any other modern technology in this court room, aside from an electric fan.

Once my part was finished, at 1:00 p.m, court was adjourned. Another case was to be heard in the afternoon, and it was back to “the waiting game” for us until tomorrow morning at 9:30.

We ate only ramen noodles last night and had nothing this morning, so all of us were thirsty and hungry throughout the trial. We were thankful that the trial ended at 1:00, as it is a hot day here. For the men, there is also laundry to be done. Since we each have only one presentable shirt for court, we must wash it in the afternoon so that it is dry before sunset.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
Art
Forum Founder

December 17 (Verdict)
No one ate anything the night before or for breakfast. We had exhausted our food supplies except for plain rice, and anyway we were too preoccupied.

We arrived at court at 9:30 a.m. After a 20-minute delay we were granted entry. Our friends were there in support.

The magistrate read the charges and summarized the prosecution and defense cases. He reviewed the facts of the case. His verdict: “Guilty on all counts.”

The prosecutor sought the maximum penalty allowed by law as a deterrent to other would-be tourists-turned-immigration-violators. Our defense attorney stressed that none of us had criminal records in the Solomon Islands or any other country. She reminded the court of our full compliance with the authorities and that we had already been detained for many weeks at great financial and personal expense. The magistrate said only, “The court will recess until 3:30 p.m. for sentencing.”

It happened so fast; we were stunned. The four of us did not talk, each lost in his or her own thoughts as we left the courthouse and walked back “home” — to our boat.

Was I about to spend the next three years of my life in a Solomon Islands prison? Had the court rejected the fact we arrived at a listed port of entry? Was this all happening over World War Two plane wrecks?

Gizo’s mobile phone network has been down for 30 hours. There would be no last call home.

Time crawled until 3:30 p.m. We returned to the court and again waited outside. Our friends tried to lighten the mood with funny jokes about jail. We were not laughing.

It was finally time. The magistrate ruled that a fine be imposed on all of us. For the offense of “unlawfully enters or is unlawfully present within Solomon Islands,” we were sentenced to a fine of SI$800 or roughly US$108. When paid, our passports would be returned.

He closed the proceedings with “Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.”

An American friend pulled out his guitar and sang John Denver’s “Take Me Home Country Roads.” It sure sounded sweet. Our Shortland Island friends said simply, “This is a victory, you are free!”

There are so many stories to share. This has been a whirlwind of a life experience. We are exhausted.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the tremendous and unexpected outpouring of support for me, Rod, Yoji, and Daisy. We did our best to stand up for something we believe in. It sure would have been easier to pay the fine on day one and walk away. But that didn’t feel right.

We have fourteen days to appeal to the High Court if we wish to pursue this case. I’m not sure this matter is settled.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
Henry Sakaida

It was a relief for all of us to learn that Justin Taylan and his comrades will only have to pay a fine of $108 US dollars. They spent over 40 days on a small boat in the harbor, suffering from cabin fever and anxiety. The government there is unstable and corrupt. As a convicted felon, I think he is now persona non grata and will never be allowed to visit there again. Justin and his friends saw an illegal salvage operation there which caused all this problem.
I hope everyone returns home safely. I think we can all learn a lesson from their ordeal.

HENRY SAKAIDA
Old 12-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #5
Esteban_cool

Good to hear this people will not go to jail. If I were them, I would not appeal the case; it will be just a loss of time and cash, and with a corrupt government against them it could be worse. I speak according to my experience.
And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

The Who, Won't get fooled again
Old 12-17-2007, 07:29 PM   #6
ekclete

After that experience I would be happy to pay the fine and find the quickest way out of the area. It just could have been so much worse then what they went through. Thanks Clete