The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Post-Soviet States > Republic Of Moldova > Moldovan Uniforms

Old 10-21-2003, 10:02 AM   #1
Al-muell

Moldovan Camoflage Uniform

I was offered this one asd "soviet". I belive it MAY be one of former soviet republics or Russia.
Sleeve pockets w/one button.
Any ideas what can it be?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00000000000000coto.jpg (45.6 KB, 131 views)
Al-muell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2004, 04:56 PM   #2
Taz

Hard one! Better late than never!

Thought I would start to try and answer this older thread.
To try and identify Camouflage outfits is hard because of the many variations, and if the Soviet and Russian sets are anything like mine used to be, lose the colouring or to be more exact fade very quick in the wash. In fact we used to rip the linings out of the Jackets and trousers and sew creases in them, took in the trousers so they looked more like Drainpipes etc.etc. Sigh,those were the days! :)

To get back to the point.

The pattern looks like a Brown Woodland variation. As used by Russia, Ukraine and other East European Countries.

The Black Sea Fleet Naval Infantry, Russian Airborne/Spetsnaz and Paras all use very similar Camouflage patterns in two main variations Green Woodland and Brown Woodland depending, obviously on the Seasons.

Maybe someone else could add more Information or correct me if they have other views on this one.

Eddie.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:49 PM   #3
vikingraider1

That is Moldovan by the look of it. This would have been issued around 1992. If the base colour is a greener shade then it would be Georgian but from the photo it looks very much like a Moldovan Cammo uniform. Not soviet era unfortuneatly.
"We can truly say that the whole circuit of the earth is girdled with the graves of our dead... and, in the course of my pilgrimage, I have many times asked myself whether there can be more potent advocates of peace upon earth through the years to come, than this massed multitude of silent witnesses to the desolation of war."

King George V, Flanders, 1922
vikingraider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 07:14 PM   #4
Taz

I agree!

I also think it,s a Post soviet era set.

So possibly a Moldovian Brown Woodland Camouflage Set from around the 1992 Period.
Does that sound right?

Eddie
Old 01-30-2004, 02:42 PM   #5
vikingraider1

That would be my guess...there are many variations of Woodland cammo but this definately looks like it is Moldovan.
"We can truly say that the whole circuit of the earth is girdled with the graves of our dead... and, in the course of my pilgrimage, I have many times asked myself whether there can be more potent advocates of peace upon earth through the years to come, than this massed multitude of silent witnesses to the desolation of war."

Old 02-02-2004, 03:00 PM   #6
Al-muell

WOW!
I have given up hope long ago!
Thanks!
But if it's post-soviet, shouldn't it be more "soviet-like"?
I mean: the buttons are realy unusual (i have both seen and bought quite a few examples od soviet camo uniforms from 80's and post-soviet and none had such buttons. But perhaps they are typical for this camo?) and there is one button on each sleeve pocket and I would rather expect different way of sealing this pockets (don't know eanglish name for this one) - one button is reather typical for older soviet camouflage uniforms, but they didn't have buttons "hidden" and they were with H&S.
From what I know, there are civilian cloathes made from origianal military uniforms cloth being made in russia (e.g. I have seen VSR jacket with one big pocket on breast). Perhaps it's one of those?
Old 02-02-2004, 07:57 PM   #7
vikingraider1

The Molodovan cammo was issued in light, medium and heavy weight cotton and twill materials, had six pockets- the sleeve pockets are reported to have astened with velcro, one or two buttons.
Incedently these uniforms were seen being worn by Cossacks fighting in Moldova, as well as Armenians and Moldovan FSU units.

Old 02-03-2004, 09:06 PM   #8
Nota Bene

Guys,

I am by no means an expert in uniforms, but why would a camo uniform have shiny brass buttons. Kinda beats the purpose.

Alexei
Nota Bene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 01:48 AM   #9
Al-muell

Buttons are plastic. It's the flash that makes them look like metal.