The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Post-Soviet States > Russian Federation > Ministerial Awards > Russian Aviation-Space Agency/Federal Space Agency "Roscosmos"

Russian Aviation-Space Agency/Federal Space Agency "Roscosmos" Российское Авиационно-Космическое Агентство/Федеральное Космическое Агентство «Роскосмос» 25th May 1999 - 9th March 2004 - 1st November 2011

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
ericlida

Badge "Participant In The First Launch".

Currently on eBay
Interesting medal

Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg space.jpg (89.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg space1.jpg (81.6 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
Sergei

I find it difficult to place this medal. Is it about a first launch at the 2nd ЦИП КС (can't translate this thing into English, roughly, the Testing and Application Centre of Space Devices?) which was started at Baikonur in 1962 or was there a separate one at Plesetsk?
Fascinating, the medal is numbered at the obverse?
Sergei
Old 12-08-2007, 09:22 AM   #3
Lapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei View Post
I find it difficult to place this medal. Is it about a first launch at the 2nd ЦИП КС (can't translate this thing into English, roughly, the Testing and Application Centre of Space Devices?) which was started at Baikonur in 1962 or was there a separate one at Plesetsk?
Fascinating, the medal is numbered at the obverse?
Sergei
Sergei,

Russian opened Plesetsk not very long ago as a space port. I believe that this medal commemorate the first launch from Plesetsk, which the second launch center (2 ЦИП КС).

Marc
Old 12-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
Sergei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
Sergei,

Russian opened Plesetsk not very long ago as a space port. I believe that this medal commemorate the first launch from Plesetsk, which the second launch center (2 ЦИП КС).

Marc
Ok, I think I am getting there (slowly). The medal commemorates the launch of Sojuz-2.1a from Plesetsk in 2004. The other famous one, Sojuz 2.1b was launched from Baikonur in 2006. Reading about this I discovered with great surprise that there is also a launch-pad called Kuru, used for commercial and testing purposes, as I understand.
Still need to figure out about the second luanch center, I was sure it was open in Baikonur first. How fascinating even if you do not collect Russian space medals!
Sergei
Closed Thread