The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 12-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
jcuffe6240

Orders and documents

I am just getting into collecting Soviet orders and would like to guage peoples thoughts on collecting orders with the documents. Do you collect because of low numbers? condition? comes with documents? or something else?

Any advice to this noob would be appreciated.

Thanks, Justin
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Bob

Re: Orders and documents

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcuffe6240 View Post
I am just getting into collecting Soviet orders and would like to guage peoples thoughts on collecting orders with the documents. Do you collect because of low numbers? condition? comes with documents? or something else?

Thanks, Justin
When I started collecting I was without a sense of direction and just bought stuff (one of each type kind of thing). Later I became more and more focussed and i regret not having that focus from the start. My advice (and really, that's all it is - many different preferences for collecting and as long as people enjoy it that's great):
- go for documented awards (adds some extra richness to it)
- go for documented groups (makes the picture even more complete)
- and research the awards (where possible!)

Finally, and this may trigger a roll of the eyes, in all collecting areas i think it pays off to go for as "high end" as possible from the start. The high end stuff typically becomes more expensive/difficult to find over time... whereas the low end stuff will always be easy to get. Also, on the high end it is perhaps easier to get validation of the authenticity.

Oh, and soviet awards is a VERY wide area... and given prices of some items, impossible to "complete" your collection as a mere mortal. Looking back, i think the more narrow your focus can be the "richer" yoru collection will be over time but it also requires patience. For example
- collect soviet awards in general... or collect award groups related to Lake Hasan / Khalkhin Gol battles?
- collect soviet awards in general... or focus on Order of Glory (groups)
- etc.

Just some thoughts... in the end, if you buy awards with documents... you'll always still have the award as well so no regret, whereas if you buy loose awards... you might later develop the curiosity on who owned it, and that may be difficult / impossible to answer at that point
Old 12-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
jcuffe6240

This is great advice gents. Being that I work in the history/museum field I always want to know the history behind the items in questions. So far I have only gathered an Order of Glory (3c), Order of the Patriotic War, 1st & 2nd class (1985) and an Order of the Red Star. I have been thinking of starting after this with the civil orders, like the Red Banner, Labour Glory and Badge of Honour.

For me the interest in these besides the history is the beauty of the award itself. I personal think that the Soviets make some of the most beautiful awards, especially after collecting British/Canadian medals and orders for a while.

Do you guys ever concern yourself with the serial numbers? Such as searching for the lowest numbered ones or do you really care about that?
Old 12-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
Pobeda45

For me, I enjoy the medals, but I also love the research that comes with the hobby. Documents help the awardee "come alive"--not to mention that it is cheaper to research in the TSAMO archives when you know the name and not just the number.

George
Old 12-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
Esteban_cool

Quote:
Do you guys ever concern yourself with the serial numbers? Such as searching for the lowest numbered ones or do you really care about that?
There are some members who like collecting awards with the lowest serial numbers, but usually these are quite expensive.
And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

The Who, Won't get fooled again
Old 12-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
Bob

Quote:
This is great advice gents. Being that I work in the history/museum field I always want to know the history behind the items in questions. So far I have only gathered an Order of Glory (3c), Order of the Patriotic War, 1st & 2nd class (1985) and an Order of the Red Star. I have been thinking of starting after this with the civil orders, like the Red Banner, Labour Glory and Badge of Honour.

For me the interest in these besides the history is the beauty of the award itself. I personal think that the Soviets make some of the most beautiful awards, especially after collecting British/Canadian medals and orders for a while.

Serial numbers can be an indication of what/where/when the award was given and therefore trigger specific interest from people collecting in that area
Old 12-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
ph3s

Quote:

Thanks, Justin
There are great tips been given above, I'll just add 2 p in that guidance

Be careful:
1. It might be addictive
2. There are too many fakes on the market

Welcome to the dark side, I mean to SA Forum

Last edited by ph3s; 12-09-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
RedBanner1920

For me when the order is researched the piece then really comes alive in a sense. I personally tend to stay away from award groups for two reasons 1. Price and 2. These days theres so many fake groups or "touch ups" that for me personally its hard to know what is good and what is not. That being said when it comes to the orders i collect i like to try and get as low serial numbers as possible and as high serial numbers as possible. If your new to collecting i can suggest to you buying some order of the red stars there fairly affordible and easy to research. The range of serial number can also determine what era the award was given for 5 and 6 digits are range from 1939 40 finnish war and WW2 and the 3 millions range from Hungary to afganistan. And not to mention a very beautiful award!

My two cents
Old 12-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
Ruiz

Hola, and welcome to this magic forum. I collect medals from Soviet campaign in all its forms and orders and medals of Bulgaria, are very beautiful and interesting.
My advice is a phrase famous collector Robin Lumsden, after a question from a reporter:

Reporter : What basic advice would you give to those who start collecting them and collectors in general?

R. Lumsden : You don´t buy ever to invest. Buy because you like something and be happy living with it.

Best regards.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #10
EricFG

Quote:
I think "Low serial number" is often a tool for selling an item. If one has really deep pockets and can afford pre-war material then by all means get the early stuff.
Now if you want to find awards given in the early days of the GPW you could do a lot worse by getting the book Echoes Of War; Researching Soviet Military Decorations by Paul J. Schmitt. In it you can find thousands of award dates by serial number. That way you can fairly sure that what you have was awarded for combat valor in the GPW as opposed to long service (for example).
Documented groups, or even single awards are great for display, especially with a write-up of the awardee and his (or her) deeds. The cost for this research is pricey though.
In any event welcome to the forum. It's nice to see new blood, and feel free to post images of your collection, however modest. We love pictures here.