The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
Jeffrey Meffert

Forum Members' Awards And Decorations.

Here's where mine ended up. Would have made a nice slanted medal mount especially with the multiples of national defense, commendation and meritorious service medals. Even the modest ribbon bar would look more impressive if one could use a different ribbon for each award, soviet style.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture.jpg (118.6 KB, 45 views)
Jeffrey Meffert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
Esteban_cool

Re: Matching USA and USSR Medals: help!

Impressive grouping and very nice display! You seem to have done an outstanding action during your service to get the LOM, right?

BTW, what´s the special meaning of folding the US flag as a triangle, if any? It´s quite frequent to see this.
And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

The Who, Won't get fooled again
Esteban_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
Jeffrey Meffert

Re: Matching USA and USSR Medals: help!

Fits well in a box that way and looks nice with the stars showing when done properly. Folding a flag into a triangle is actually the preferred way and the dimensions lend themselves to that. (I was on the flag team in my elementary school a million years ago and that is how we were taught to fold it when we retired the colors.) It is also the way the flag would be ceremoniously folded and handed to the widdow/parent/child survivor at the graveside service although to quote monty python, "I'm not dead yet".
As for the LOM, I was tickled to get it. The enamel work on that one is the closest you will see on a US medal compared to some of the soviet awards. I was in for 28 years and they said they would give me the LOM if I promised not to stay until 30...or something like that.
Jeffrey Meffert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Forum Members' Awards And Decorations.

Well giving this old thread a kick after being asked to do so by another forum member. Here's the latest addition that I was wearing whilst out and about during the latest Jubilee.

Considerably more integral than any previous campaign/service/commemorative awarded by the British government. You would think the economy was doing fine and silver prices at an all time low.

I was asked and almost told to get this engraved a number of times but it is not in keeping with the Medal so it is remaining blank until I have my mind changed.

and a "flimsy" Soviet Medal in comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3291.jpg (120.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3294.jpg (116.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3296.jpg (70.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3297.jpg (66.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg thick.jpg (14.5 KB, 65 views)
Old 06-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Re: members decorations and medals

Wow! That's a chunk of silver.
desantnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
Tommy

It's like the manhole cover that's missing from the end of my street!

But Shinier :P
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
PaulR

Here are mine so far, for 22 years of service. My full sized medals and ribbon bar, as mounted on my uniform. I still have eight more that I want to do.

We are such a small branch of service that many people do not know who we are. Before I joined, I thought that the Coast Guard was a form of Navy National Guard.

The US Coast Guard is a military branch of the military, but under the Dept of Homeland Security. We have a domestic role(counter narcotics, search and rescue, ice patrol, homeland security inspections, safety inspections, environmental protection, and more) as well as defense roles. I served two tours on shore based duty in Iraq, Bahrain, and other places(I am a medic).

Here in the US, the Coast Guard is a lifesaver at sea, maritime police officer(Coast Guard is the only branch of service that is by law, provided power to place people under arrest).

Other branches do poke at us in fun, but at the same time once people see what we do and etc wish they were with us. We offer excitement, missions, and adventure both during peacetime and war.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mine.jpg (100.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Mine1.jpg (99.3 KB, 11 views)
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

For some strange reason the terms "Medic" and "Coast Guard" together make me think of Carry On Cruising. No idea why.

The US Coast Guard is certainly a bit more glamorous than the British Coast guard that are arch rivals with the RLNI (Royal National Lifeboat Institution). A very strange situation for a Service and charity to be at loggerheads but that is how it is. Did someone say department of the treasury?

I have neglected to say that the 60th Jubilee Medal (like most British Medals) does not come with a ribbon bar provided so everybody (myself included) has to buy a ribbon bar. Police/Ambulance/Fire Brigade/other Civil Services usually wear plastic bars whereas Armed Forces/Royal household wear a fabric bar.

My fabric ribbon bar will be seeing some action in the next few months so I may have to purchase some more. £2 ($3) each isn't extortive but it also isn't free.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
PaulR

That stinks that you have to buy your own ribbon bar. Also, I am sorry that they do not give you all medals or awards to recognize acts above and beyond the call of duty or deployments. I know that you all do a lot of really great rescues.

When the US Coast Guard was first established, it was under the Treasury Department. Later on, it fell under the Department of Transportation. As a result of Sept 11, 2001(in Feb 2003), the Dept of Homeland Security was created, and the Coast Guard was again moved to that Dept. We are grouped with the Border Guard, INS, and etc. We are the only military branch of the DHS.

Do you all wear uniforms?

BTW, your medal looks great compared mine. Yours is pure quality.
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

I'm not Coast Guard. I have a long family history of boats and ships but apart from spending weeks on end on water and falling in the drink whilst trying to pilot I'm not very boat orientated (honest!).
The British coast guard are uniformed and generally a nice bunch of chaps. I don't know many of them but they do a sterling job. I know they'd be there if I ever needed them.
All I can say is you can swim really fast when you're not planning on swimming at all.

I have a relative who was awarded by the Police for rescuing a woman from the ouse (not the same person as was awarded by the customs for rescuing a man from the ouse) when not only the police, fire and Ambulance would not go in to save her but nor would the coast guard. I was even lucky enough to be invited to the ceremony.

I suppose if the ribbon bars were free I'd stink them on every shirt and coat and so on I have.