The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:44 PM   #121
tgawn

Loved it!!!

Just got back from my trip to Stalingrad / Moscow.
Really amazing and recommend anyone to go.
Check out my photos

Stalingrad
http://community.webshots.com/album/551707424Xcezli

Moscow
http://community.webshots.com/album/551707727HAYztS

Anyone thinking about heading over give me shout and will be more than happy to offer you advice on you travels.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2006, 02:06 PM   #122
Soviet

Thanks Tristan for the pictures! I'm also going to Moscow and Volgograd this summer. Where did you take your information about the things to visit in Volgograd?
Old 06-26-2006, 02:19 PM   #123
DougD

Volgograd

The key to visiting the city is to spend at least one day in the fields; get a local (who knows what they are doing!) to take you to Pitomnik and / or Gumrak airfields. There is a good amount to see out there in terms or battlefield relics. I have been there a few times and the locals are digging more, but there are still 'fresh' areas.

DD
DougD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:45 PM   #124
tgawn

Information on Volgograd

I found in planning my trip that there is a wealth of knowledge on Moscow, either on the internet or in guide books. But unfortunately very very little on Volgograd. I litterally spent hours and hours trying to find a decent website with no luck.
So i knew by the time i went what the main things were, but when i arrived at my hotel i imediately booked a english tours guide for a tour the following day. She was a very nice russian lady who took me to the main sites and the things i would never had found on my own. She had lived in Vologograd for 50 yrs so had a wealth of information to share.
Then the next day i was able to go back to some off the sites and spend more time at them. I would have liked to go out to the battlefields but did not know anyone suitable for a tour and the taxi drivers in general will charge the tourists a fortune.
My best advice for visiting russia in terms of saving money is always agree a price before buying, eg taxis and meals. Taxi for me from airport to hotel was $90, but when the hotel staff sorted a return trip it was on $40!
I learned fast!
Old 08-21-2006, 01:43 AM   #125
plmurphy

Hermitage numismatic gallery

A word of warning for anyone on their way to St Petersburg soon, I was there at the weekend and the numismatic gallery at the hermitage Museum is still closed. The best estimate I could get from a member of the museum staff as to when it would open was "some time in the future" !

However the Guards Museum in the General Staff Building is worth a visit, especially if you like uniforms. I have not yet been to the Naval Museum in St Petes and plan to go there next month so I would appreciate if anyone here has views on how good/bad it is.

Best regards,

Paul
plmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:04 AM   #126
DougD

Central Naval Museum

CNM is perhaps my favorite museum in Russia; i have been there 5 times and it always makes a great impression on me. -DD

ps- did the Guards museum cover Guards units in WWII?
Old 08-21-2006, 02:32 PM   #127
plmurphy

Hi Doug,

Afraid not, it covers the Imperial Guard only.

In other sections of the General Staff Building section of the museum they have some very nice French uniforms that were "liberated" in 1815 or so, including one which they claim belonged to Marshal Ney. I am sure the French would love to get them back so I imagine they will not be leaving Russia any time soon !

Regards,

Paul
plmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:46 PM   #128
DougD

Guards

There is an OK display about WWII Guards units in the Central Artillery and Engineering Museum. St.Petersburg does have some great museums.

DD
Old 10-02-2006, 03:29 PM   #129
Manu Dalton

1Soviet stuff in Paris ?

I'll be in Paris for two days next week and I would like to know if any of you knows a good adress for soviet militaria ? Last time I was over there I try a few free market and antique shop but only find pretty cool french stuff!

Thanks in advance!
Manu
Old 10-03-2006, 03:27 AM   #130
Lapa

Manu,

Unfortunately, not really. There are a few shops, but they sell very dearly either very common stuff or very fake stuff (sometimes both at the same time ).
Let's see what the other locals think about this question.

Marc
Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote