The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 06-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
RedBanner1920

Researching british medals?

Can anyone tell me how one would go about researching a British medal? And what are prices to research in this field?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
medals73

Re: Researching british medals?

I depends on what the medal is, to whom it was issued, and the era in which it was issued.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
RedBanner1920

I have a QSA and a Palestine 45-48 medal. Both have Anglo sounding names on the medals. I would like to see what a researched British medal can offer me history wise of the person who earned it.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

I usually pay £8 per serviceman. I researched a Riley that was on a WW1 trio who I thought was a local man (West Yorkshire Regiment) to find out he was in the Bradford Pals. Served in Egypt and France, Seriously wounded first day of the Somme, Returned to England to convalesce, Sent back to France, Wounded again, Back to England, Transferred to Inland Waterways Service, Went AWOL, Discharged whilst AWOL (due to the wounds) and then he also lost and had his medals returned to him twice before 1923 was out. Over 38 pages of research, delivered £8. Not bad to say I only paid £12 for the 3 medals. I also did some researching myself and found the grave of another serviceman who died in service's grave (I can see the minster by which he now lays from this position). As for the Palestine 45-48 medal I have framed on the wall that needs no research as whoever got that and the Korea medal is still here, plenty of paperwork too! The research you get back isn't always as successful as 38 pages of details, sometimes all that can be offered is a medal card after the fire in the archives way back in the 1960's.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
RedBanner1920

Wow that sounds much better then any Russian researcher could offer. Is it possible you could forward me some info on how i could go about doing a research? And the price doesn't even compare to the price i would put out to research a Soviet order.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

I'll look into my records and see what info I can extract. Shouldn't be too long if i start looking in the right place. Also you can go to the London Gazette website and search their archives for free. If you have the name and rank on the medal you can see if they were ever "Mentioned In Dispatches" or awarded a higher level award than a campaign medal. Obviously if the person's name is not there they have NOT been "Mentioned In Dispatches".
There was a NZ fellow I heard of in Korea who got a "Mention" because when the ship was being attacked from air he stayed on his gun firing at the planes even when they were right on top of him, little did the "powers-that-be" know that he was stuck in the turret and the gun had jammed. Although you will only find the "official" stories by research.

I've attached the sort of research you would get back on a Palestine 45-48 medal. I "greyscaled" it to try and make it smaller so it would be more readable don't know how successful that has been, although most records you will get will be black and white photocopies, this is a scan from an actual service book though. "B" Brigade of the RNF were the last unit to leave Palestine before the British mandate ended, Conscripted troops did not have to serve in Korea as part of their "National Service" so most returned home after their tour of duty and will not have gone to Korea, Many of the Soldiers may have also served during WW2 though. There were also many German POWs working in Logistics for the British forces at the time who will not have been eligible for the campaign medal. The Palestine 1945-48 GSM goes directly after WW2 campaign medals/stars in the order of precedence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Service.jpg (101.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
andrew6767

A little off topic, but if anyone needs any help in regards to researching Australian medals just send me a PM. I mainly collect Australian WW1 medals (which you can research yourself for free) but can give some pointers on others.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
andrew6767

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtahhR View Post
I usually pay £8 per serviceman. I researched a Riley that was on a WW1 trio who I thought was a local man (West Yorkshire Regiment) to find out he was in the Bradford Pals. Served in Egypt and France, Seriously wounded first day of the Somme, Returned to England to convalesce, Sent back to France, Wounded again, Back to England, Transferred to Inland Waterways Service, Went AWOL, Discharged whilst AWOL (due to the wounds) and then he also lost and had his medals returned to him twice before 1923 was out. Over 38 pages of research, delivered £8. Not bad to say I only paid £12 for the 3 medals. I also did some researching myself and found the grave of another serviceman who died in service's grave (I can see the minster by which he now lays from this position). As for the Palestine 45-48 medal I have framed on the wall that needs no research as whoever got that and the Korea medal is still here, plenty of paperwork too! The research you get back isn't always as successful as 38 pages of details, sometimes all that can be offered is a medal card after the fire in the archives way back in the 1960's.
Could you also forward me some info on this ? I have a British trio I bought a few years ago and at those sort of prices, I should be doing something
Old 06-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
medals73

Yes, Australian, Canadian, and South African medals are quite different (and much easier) to research. UK medals have some things online and much more in the archives. They (like many archives) assume a collector/researcher who does the work themselves, although being mostly geared for the family history person. I assume there are still professional researchers to do things for you, but I haven't used one in decades.

Recent service records will run afoul of privacy laws, so be ready.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Researching WW2 British medals is impossible for the very obvious reason that to save on "administration costs" none of them were named. Named WW2 "British" medals were given named to the Empire troops but not the British Forces. If you have the serviceman or woman's serial number and name though then you can research. If the person is alive that you are trying to research you will need the National Insurance numbers and a pile of signatures before you even begin. With "Chuckles" now gone all WW1 campaign medals no longer have the problem of living recipients causing any problems with privacy, unfortunate but true. I'm sure the last few survivors get researched repeatedly. (I don't think Florence Green got a WW1 campaign medal but if she did she's still alive and the last WW1 Veteran, so that may cause an issue.)