The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Soviet Sphere > Democratic People's Republic Of Korea

Democratic People's Republic Of Korea 조선민주주의인민공화국 9th September 1948 -

Old 08-18-2010, 02:37 AM   #11
Ola

Re: MAJOR new book on DPRK awards!

You might know something that I have missed, and maybe I payed too much, but I must add that it's not the ones they sell on eBay that go for a few dollars and are china fakes. This is made with really great quality, the back side is robust, and the front is sharp and a bit flourescent.

If I can learn something from this, please let me know. Also thankful for suggestions for where to buy genuine badges.

Sorry for bad picture quality, I'm off to work...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2kims.jpg (49.3 KB, 33 views)
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #12
Esteban_cool

Interesting! I´ve never seen Kim Jong Il depicted with a field uniform.
And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

The Who, Won't get fooled again
Esteban_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #13
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban_cool View Post
Interesting! I´ve never seen Kim Jong Il depicted with a field uniform.
It's rare, but does exist.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Korea/i...epe240210d.gif
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #14
Will

The book does not cover the Kim badges because they are not awards.

In fact, adults in the DPRK are required to wear them.

So, with literally millions of them having been produced (and, one would think, continuing to be produced) I'm really not certain how you can say that any are "fakes" and any are "real".

I have seen the type that you show on Ebay constantly, and apparently originating in China. Does that mean they are "fakes"? There seems to be so little interest in DPRK material that I wondered why the sellers kept offering these Kim badges. I just concluded that the manufacturers in China were actually making them for the DPRK itself, and selling off some of the extras on Ebay.

I may be completely wrong, but otherwise it just seems to make no sense for a workshop in China to crank them out when they could be making something that was in higher demand.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #15
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

I finally got to have a good look at this book yesterday. It is a good book. A very good book. Great photographs and very informative. Certainly something that you could get many MANY hours of pleasure from just looking at the pictures.

The book goes into immense detail on some awards (the Medal "For The Liberation Of Korea" springs to mind) but other awards only show a fraction of the number of types/variations. Many of these missing types and variations can be found here on the forum so combining the two references is a good idea.
The rarity ratings given are generally too high. Some items given R1 and R2 when I would see them as A or C but there has been a constant stream of DPRK awards coming onto the market since this book was written.
Many of the High/Low observed numbers are considerably out of line with my own observations (of items in my own collection for example) with some of the ranges needing to be expanded by 200%+. All three of the Orders Of Kim Il Sung in my collection are considerably lower than the range in the book (and I have seen lower still) and I have a great deal of other DPRK awards similarly "out of range".

That being said it IS a good book.

If either of the authors wish to contact me for additional information or photographs of items in the collection they should feel free at any time.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:11 AM   #16
NKResearcher

Last edited by NKResearcher; 11-02-2015 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Registered with misspelled name
NKResearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:23 AM   #17
NKResearcher

Re: Military And Civil Awards Of The Democratic People's Republic Of Korea

Now with the right ID:

Hey everyone. I am young researcher on North Korean history and after reading this 2009 book I became interested in how this whole system of North Korean decorations has developed. After several months of checking sources I only wanted to see if anyone has already reviewed his book eventually leading me to your forum.

I plan to submit my review of his book in about a week. But I am looking forward to further work on the topic as there is so much material around. To name just a few things I could figure out: 1) The "Hero of the DPRK" was, in fact, only titled "Hero of the Korean People's Republic" and changed into DPRK in 1954. Accordingly, those earlier awards presented in the book seem authentic. 2) Award booklets started to feature not award or booklet numbers but eventually the number of the decree of North Korea's standing committee which allows an interesting look into North Korea's legal development.

I hope to upload some award-related legal texts and their English translation soon. But I am currently swamped with work and that will take a while.

Has any one you been in contact with Mr. Sessler? I did not get a response to my email for a month now and I am still hesitating to write him a letter.
NKResearcher is offline   Reply With Quote