The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Post-Soviet States > Russian Federation > Russian Federation Uniforms

Old 05-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
RedMaestro2

Russian Army Scraps New Uniforms

BBC NEWS | Europe | Russian army scraps new uniforms

"A plan to replace Soviet-era Russian military uniforms with ones by a leading fashion designer has been abandoned because of a lack of money."

I always thought those new uniforms were kind of silly :chuckle
RedMaestro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Commissar

Re: Russian Army Scraps New Uniforms

Hmm, those designer circus style uniforms that look like they would be fit for a clown?
Well, I would need to see more pictures I suppose.

Maybe its a good thing.
Commissar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
ECD3

oh wow, after seeing a picture of the new ones...good call. "lack of money"...yeah...i'm sure that's the reason. :chuckle
ECD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:00 AM   #4
Tretov

Does this include the new parade uniforms for generals as well, the double breasted green/blue and gray ones?
Tretov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
Commissar

I suppose it means the whole project.
Frankly I think the simple change in insignia has been quite enough.
Bin lids too, those hats are so bloody huge, they could use some hat regulations over there...
But who am I to talk? I just bought a new Russian policemans hat! :D and its huuuge.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #6
deValcourt

I grew to love those old soviet uniforms - especially the greatcoats (I arrived in Moscow in January from Virginia via Louisiana wearing a sweatshirt, a pair of jeans and leather-bottomed loafers. My only real coat was an old M65 US Army field jacket - unlined). Needless to say, I was looked at oddly on the streets and metros. After some teenager offered to buy my army coat for $100 in a Soviet style "grocery" store because he said I reminded him of Eddie Veddor (I had shoulder length hair at the time-which proved to be the only sensible thing on me when I arrived) and my only real objection was that I had nothing else to keep me warm. I wasn't making much money (roubles then) and for anyone to have a $100 bill handy was unusual.
But once I moved to Moscow, and started working for former military, they were quick to give me their old coats (sans insignia for obvious reasons). After a couple of winters and being paid in those sought-after $100s I was tempted to buy custom tailored leather full-length coats, but I had grown to love those heavy greatcoats and still have all of them (with insignia replaced).
The navy had it best though. Their coats could take a bullet in the chest from all the padding and black always looks cool. But my favorite is the grey parade coat that still fits me like a glove - but that is only for "special" events to keep it crisp. I just have to watch where I wear them here in Louisiana (for the two or three weeks we have cold enough weather and the one day of snow every 3-7 years) because for the most part, a hammer and sickle will set off a country-come-to-towner. I still hear, "Hey, Hunt for Red October" now and again though. Man I miss Moscow and my 12 million neighbors sometimes!
I've ranted enough,
Phillip
Old 05-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
Commissar

Thats awesome, 100 bucks for an old army jacket!
Im looking into the black navy coat as well, it looks so spiffy, would be perfect for the winter; but I recently got an airforce coat so Im so happy, I wonder how they hold up against -45 weather? ;)
I hope they work.

Anywho.
The new uniforms being scrapped, I wonder if the officers of the Russian federation still wear those great coats?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
deValcourt

To the best of my knowledge, they still do wear them.

As for the -45, yeah they do the job. In Moscow there is a big problem with wind because of the way the buidlings were laid out. I went out in my new Navy coat, hat, scarf, gloves and recently grown goatee. I had everything to stay warm except a few bits of knowledge. 1. When it's -40 and a windchill the weather won't evebn guess at, remember to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. 2. Don't breathe out through the nose especially if you have facial hair. Why? You might ask. Well, steam formed on my mustache and it itched so I rubbed my upper lip with my gloved hand. Then I noticed small brown hairs on my glove. The steam had frozen the hair and I had just scraped off about an inch above my lip.

Gist - had to turn around, go back inside my apartment, take off all of that warm clothing and shave the whole goatee off. It was an excruciating month growing it back. :chuckle

The weight is the thing if you are standing up for long periods. Other than that, wear with a scarf and warm pants and you're good.

Oh, I see Navy coats on the e-place for pretty cheap ($60-100) but watch the shipping charge!

Phillip

Last edited by deValcourt; 05-06-2009 at 12:12 PM.
deValcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:12 PM   #9
Commissar

Mmm, I know, the shipping kills!
And post from Ukraine sucks the big one, it is so bloody slow and half the time they dont send you the correct items.
Well its good to know that the great coat will do me well this winter. :)
Old 02-06-2012, 02:46 AM   #10
deValcourt

I didn't think this info merited a whole thread unto itself so I figured this one would do.

Somewhere else on the forum, I once mentioned the strangely-textured short white scarf that was given to me as part of a parade greatcoat by its previous owner who had significantly outgrown it. The coat still had all of its insignia attached which we removed after taking it from his closet at his Moscow apartment (my point is, I know it was the "real deal" and he gave it to me because it fit me and I only had that US Army field jacket I mentioned above). The scarf was in one of the outer hip pockets and was made from some unusual synthetic material that was very smooth to the touch and did not show signs of wear, no matter how much I used it - things like little "balls" of cotton or wool that form after wearing most scarves and things like sweaters over time.

The very idea of the existence of such a thing as a parade greatcoat white (or any other color) scarf issued for a parade coat was shot down. Since I could not find the thing, I simply had to say nothing more. Well, I got the urge while moving things around in my attic to open my traveling trunk for the first time in many years - years before I bought my townhouse. Lo and behold, I found the scarf and pictures are below. It is whiter than it appears in some of the photos, probably due to lighting, and not as bright and discolored as it appears in others. That's the thing about anything white worn around one's neck on any sort of regular basis. I sent it with my other clothes to the laundry in Moscow and despite getting everything back wrapped in brown paper, like professional cleaners used to do here, but the Moscow tap water was less than pure (boil before using) and I think that also changed the original white to "not-quite-white."

The central fact, however, is that it does exist and now I have it again. It looks quite smart under the coat - especially the black naval greatcoats.

Phillip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scarf B&W.jpg (114.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg scarf1.jpg (34.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg scarf.jpg (66.3 KB, 6 views)