The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Soviet Sphere > Mongolian People's Republic

Mongolian People's Republic Бүгд Найрамдах Монгол Ард Улс 26th November 1924 - 13th February 1992

Old 01-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #31
medals73

Re: Mongolian Ribbon Bars

Some of these can quite politely be described as "bizarre" when it comes to creativity. Here is one, with tentative guesses as to what is what.

1- Honorary Medal of Combat (representing the first, enameled ribbon?!), 30th Anniversary of Khalkin Gol, 40th Anniversary of Khalkin Gol / 60th Anniversary of MPR, ???, 30th Anniversary of Victory over Japan / 40 Years of MPR (???), 60 Years of Armed Forces of MPR (???), a very inventively rendered 50 Years of Khalkin Gol (?!?!) / 50 Years of MPR (???), 60 Years of MPR, 70 Years of MPR / Brotherhood in Arms (???)

And, as a final reference item of this variety, a manufacturer's specimen, made up by one of the best of the Ulanbaatar ribbon bar artists, showing everything (included an invented ribbon for the Mother Heroine Order). Not all identifications are presently exact.

2- Order of Sukhbaatar, Order of the Red Banner of Combat Valor, Order of the Red Banner of Labor Valor, Order of Combat Valor / Order of the Polar Star, Order of Mother Heroine (invented ribbon), Honorary Medal of Combat, Honorary Medal of Labor / ???, Medal for Unselfishness (?), 25 Years of the MPR, Medal “40 Years of the MPR”, ??? / Medal “We Won”, Medal “50 Years of the Revolution”, Medal “60 Years of the Revolution”, Medal “70 Years of the Revolution” (?) / Medal “80 Years of the Revolution (?), Medal of Khalkin Gol (?), Medal “30th Anniversary of Khalkin Gol”, Medal “30th Anniversary of the Defeat of Japan” / Medal “50 Years of the Army”, Medal “60 Years of the Army”, Medal “50 Years of the Police”, Medal “50 Years of State Security” / ???, Medal “Glory of the Virgin Land Cultivators” (?)

In case you haven't noticed, the order is wearing is -- how to say this? -- flexible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RB04.jpg (100.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg RB01.jpg (101.9 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by medals73; 01-19-2010 at 11:39 AM.
medals73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #32
medals73

Now, a few specimen cloth ribbon bar groups.

1- Order of Sukhbaatar, Order of Sukhbaatar, Order of Sukhbaatar / Order of the Red Banner of Labor Valor, Order of the Red Banner of Labor Valor, Order of the Red Banner of Labor Valor, Order of the Red Banner of Labor Valor / USSR Red Banner of Labor, USSR Red Banner of Labor, USSR Lenin Centennial, BULGARIA Order of the People’s Republic of Bulgaria / YUGOSLAVIA: Order of the Yugoslav Flag (device missing), ???, ???

A domed plastic version of this same bar resides in another collection. I have no doubt that the recipient can be identified with some research.

2- Red Banner of Combat Valor, Order of Comnat Valor, Polar Star, Honorary Medal of Combay / 40 Years MPR, 50 Years MPR, 60 Years MPR, 50 Years Army, 60 Years Army / 30 Years Khalkin Gol, 40 Years Khalkin Gol, 30 Years Victory, 50 Years State Security, USSR Combat Merit Medal / USSR 50 Years Armed Forces, USSR 60 Years Armed Forces, USSR 70 Years Armed Forces, USSR 30 Years Victory, USSR: 40 Years Victory / ???, ???, Cuba 30 Years FAR, Poland Brotherhood in Arms / Czechoslovakia Brotherhood in Arms 2nd class, DDR Brotherhood in Arms 3rd class

On the uniform.

3- Order of the Red Banner of Combat Valor, Order of Combat Valor, Honorary Medal of Combat, 40 Years of MPR / 50 Years of Mongolian Revolution, 60 Years of Mongolian Revolution, 30th Anniversary of the Defeat of Japan, 40th Anniversary of Khalkin Gol / 50 Years of the Mongolian People’s Army, 60 Years of the Mongolian People’s Army

As with similar Soviet ribbon bars, there is always the real chance that a ribbon bar like this has been "assembled".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RB05.jpg (98.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Unif5-rbb.jpg (98.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 4859.jpg (98.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-24-2010, 01:05 AM   #33
Pravda

Does anyone know where I can find a enamel pre-1961 ribbon for the Honorary Medal of Combat for sale? Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Will
Pravda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #34
medals73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravda View Post
Does anyone know where I can find a enamel pre-1961 ribbon for the Honorary Medal of Combat for sale? Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Will
These metal "ribbon" bars used to be very hard to find. They are now very very VERY hard to find, almost impossible.

Thanks to Urnukh's new book, we need to add a metal ribbon bar for the hero badge to our list, though I suspect it was a one-off for Choibalsan.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:31 AM   #35
Urnuh

The drawing picture of the brass ribbon bar for the Gold Star Medal of the Hero of the MPR has been officially instituted in 1945. The October (I can not recall exactly) issue of the Mongolian Army "Red Star" news paper depicts the drawings of the newly instituted orders, medals and their brass ribbons. The particular ribbon for the Gold Star Medal was also clearly depicted. I will try to get the scan of that newspaper's issue for you. Also the Rule on wearing the ribbons for orders and medals (p.254-255) stipulates the position of the ribbon for day-to-day wear in para 5.

The existing photos of the heroes prove that the ribbon for the Gold Star Medal was issued to all living heroes of the Mongolian People's Republic. I apologize for the quality of the scans but I do not have the original photos: one is a scan from a book on Major Nehiit and another is from a newspaper. Below is the scan of the picture of Hero of the MPR Major D. Danzanvaanchig who is wearing his Gold Star Medal ribbon on top of the custom-made ribbon bars.

Major J. Nekhiit is wearing the ribbon for the Gold Star Medal of the MPR positioned according to the rule above the ribbons of other orders and medal but to the center. Photo taken in 1966.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan00Danzan.jpg (25.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg scan0022.jpg (50.5 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by CtahhR; 03-30-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Urnuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:11 AM   #36
medals73

Thanks for the clarification. Have you ever seen the actual ribbon bar for hero?
Old 11-25-2010, 07:19 AM   #37
Urnuh

No, I did not. Unfortunately. I could not find any in the museums so that I could include the color scan. But, I was also lucky to find a photo of the ribbon in the museum files, probably taken some 30-40 years ago by the museum staff. I have included this picture in my book. The photo had rulers that gave me exact dimensions of the ribbon. The current museum staff could not find the real ribbon.
Urnuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #38
Pravda

An auction on ebay just ended a few days ago for two brass ribbon bars, We Won and 25 Years of the MPR.

I guess I will have to keep looking for that Honorary Medal of Combat ribbon bar.

Cheers,
Will
Pravda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:49 PM   #39
medals73

Thanks to a friendly fellow forumite, three new ribbon bars have now come to live with me :D . . .

They are very odd and very interesting and very puzzling -- but, then, they are very Mongolian!

Remember, all of these are hand-painted behind heavily domed and curved plastic (following Soviet style). Not only does this mean that considerable (and often befuddling) "artistry" may be in play but it also means that these don't scan well.

I'm not sure you need to see their backsides . . . err . . . back sides, so I'll just show the obverses. Ask if you want the "other view".

The bars and my BEST GUESSES.

1- A fairly normal 3/3/3 ribbon bar.
-- Red Banner of Combat Valor; Order of Combat Valor; Honorary Medal of Combat
-- 30th Anniversary of Khalkin Gol (?); 50 Years of the Revolution; 50 Years of the Police
-- 30 Years of Khalkin Gol (???); 60 Years of Armed Forces; 50th Anniversary of Victory over Japan (possibly??)

2- A three-place ribbon bar.
-- Honorary Medal of Combat; 50 Years of Army; 60 Years of Army

3- An odd miniature ribbon bar (for a woman?), 3/3.
-- Red Banner of Combat Valor (?, very odd); Medal "We Won" (???, I don't think so?); 50th Anniversary of Victory over Japan
-- 30 Years of Khalkin Gol (???); 80 Years of Revolution; 50 Years of Revolution (this makes no sense?)

Other theories?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3rbs2.jpg (88.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #40
Pobeda45

Hi guys,
I've been MIA but still reading the forum and continuing to collect. The wife and I moved from NYC to San Franscico in early December, it's been a life altering experience for sure! :thumbsup

I've reached kind of a cool milestone in my Mongolia collection--I've assembled a full set of brass ribbons, minus the Sukhbaatar ribbon. (some day, right? :) )

The backs seem to have some slight differences..in all, great little items and Soviet made?
Thanks for looking!

George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3249.jpg (93.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3251.jpg (96.6 KB, 11 views)
Pobeda45 is offline   Reply With Quote