The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 01-21-2006, 04:06 AM   #11
Christophe

This pic, as the previous one, has been taken without previous authorization. The guard permitted me to keep it...

North Korean "Propaganda Village" of Kijong-Dong, with its 160m high flagpole (visible in the centre).

South Korean "Freedom Village" of Taesong-Dong, with its 100m high flagpole and its flag, clearly visible.

The two Koreas face to face.

The train station is ready for welcoming passengers of the line from Seoul to Pyongyang. A really brand new train station operational at Dorasan, the last stop before the demarcation line.

The station is empty with the exception of a few employees, and a soldier guarding the access of the platform to Pyongyang. This is the last stop before the North. Everything is ready for the unification of the two Korea.

A sign you don't see everywhere...

The "official" stamp put on your passport at Dorasan, indicating you are ready to embark for the North. A peaceful message for a future unified Korea...

Dorasan station.

The station is on the left.

And, to conclude this short tour of the DMZ, here is a pic of the model of Panmunjeon, as displayed in the War Memorial of Korea, in Seoul.
In this model, the North is on the right, the South on the left.

I can only recommend its visit.

I have many more pics to post if you are interested in. Please, don't hesitate to ask for them, or post any comment. I am sure some of you will have in mind "souvenirs".

I hope you enjoyed this short tour of the DMZ.

Cheers.

Ch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChR-Korea043.jpg (23.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ChR-Korea044.jpg (6.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ChR-Korea045.jpg (7.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ChR-Korea046.jpg (17.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ChR-Korea048.jpg (20.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ChR-Korea052.jpg (21.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ChR-Korea053.jpg (25.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ChR-Korea054.jpg (28.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ChR-Korea055.jpg (20.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ChR-Korea057.jpg (16.5 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2006, 03:44 PM   #12
Dante688i

Christophe,

Hey, that was great!
I had no idea that the Dorasan station was so new and ready for use. I think it's very interesting that a rail line stands ready for travel between the North and South.

Personally, I really enjoyed your photos and commentary - if you have any others you think are nice or interesting, I'd be happy to look at them. Furthermore, who doesn't like to hear about "souvenirs."

Anyway, nice job Ch.

- Sean
Old 01-22-2006, 03:31 AM   #13
Christophe

Thanks again for the nice comment .

Many things are already ready for unification of the two Korea. The train line is ready, and the station can be operational in one snap!!! They even have stamps for your passport !!! Around Dorasan station is actually under construction a kind of storage zone for fret. Several buildings are planned... and all very "design" and "stylish" as the train station. They also are working on the project of a kind of exhibitions center...

What has still to be improved is the road connections, for obvious reasons : the land mines!! You can see panels everywhere!!!

In terms of business, the two Korea already work together. North Korea has allowed investment of the South in the "free zone" of Gaesong, that you can see in one of the pics I have posted.
Samsung, for example, is producing there electronic equipment, thanks to a transfer of technology. The production costs are lower than in the South thanks to the low wages of the North employees.
Some South Koreans managers can work in the Gaesong zone. They exceptionally are allowed to take the train and cross at Freedom Bridge.

Globally, in the South (and I'm sure this idea makes progress in the North also), you feel that time for unification is perceived as near, and wished.

Of course, there are obstacles, and the "economic / business" unification wishes are not enough. But they are strong levers.

But I can guarantee you that when you are listening the propaganda comments of the "guide" person who accompany you in the bus, you are far far from any process of unification, but still in the Cold War!!!!

Another view of the brand new design of the station.

Rail signed by George Bush, on the occasion of his visit of Dorasan on 20 February 2002, with the South Korean president.

Ch.

Pic : © Christophe - ChR Collection
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChR-Korea066.jpg (49.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ChR-Korea069.jpg (18.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ChR-Korea068.jpg (45.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-22-2006, 04:29 AM   #14
Christophe

FYI, here is an article published in the Korea Times, on 16 November 2005

Gaesong Invites Foreign Investors

By Choi Kyong-ae
Staff Reporter
The South Korean government yesterday held an investor relations session in Busan to attract foreign direct investment to the inter-Korean industrial complex in the city of Gaesong, North Korea.

It was the first time the South Korean government has attempted to attract foreign investment to the complex, a joint economic venture between North and South Korea.

“I believe the session has offered APEC member countries good reasons to invest in the Gaesong industrial park because of its friendly business environment and low labor expenses,” said Yoon Manjoon, president and CEO of Hyundai Asan Corp., the company with exclusive rights to organize tours to North Korea.

Yoon emphasized the Gaesong Industrial Complex is geographically close to Seoul, major North Korean cities and the northeastern provinces of China.

Rates and labor costs are even more competitive than in China or other Southeast Asian economies, he added.

“Korea is doing what divided Germany couldn’t do by fostering inter- Korean economic cooperation at Gaesong Industrial Complex,” said Torsten Spangenberg from German- based Pfleider.

The Gaesong industrial park integrates South Korean capital and technology with North Korea’s competent, low-cost labor force and aims to be a bridge between the Korean Peninsula, China, and Europe using the Trans-China Railroad and the Trans-Siberian Railway.

“Inter-Korean integration will narrow the ever-widening gap between the two countries, which will lead to more inter-Korean economic exchanges,” Yoon said.

There have been difficulties exporting North Korean-made products through South Korea.
The first Gaesong investor relations session will help reduce misunderstanding about the Gaesong complex among foreigners, Yoon said.
For example, he noted, many foreign countries think products made in the complex belong to North Korea so they impose heavy tariffs on them."

I have had the chance to see one of the very rare trains from the South going North, and crossing the Imjin river. Probably technicians going to Gaesong... The trains crossing generally are humanitarians ones (food + coal...).

Ch.

Pic : © Christophe - ChR Collection
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChR-Korea071.jpg (45.5 KB, 0 views)