The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 05-20-2003, 01:49 PM   #21
yolkin

Of course not!
Old 05-20-2003, 02:12 PM   #22
Eugene

Here comes Russian proverb : avaricious person pays twice. When it sounds too good to be true, maybe, it's not true! Where is common sense? The times when the awards were much cheaper in former Soviet republics are gone. The same awards costs the same price or higher in Russia as well as in Baltic republics nowadays. These people are aware of prices very well and why would the sell them cheaper to some collectors over the ocean? It's not a old women from Ukranian village who wants to sell her husband's awards and doesn't know the price.
I know the fellow collector who bought the rare first class award from Russia at 30% below the market. Off course, it happened to be a fake.
BTW, this Vlad has contacted me as well telling how much he was looking forward to our future cooperation. Cooperation didn't work since he didn't want to mail the awards before he got the money. But there is his phone number in Riga, Latvia: 371-605-4352.
It's an obvious scam. Who knows how many people parted with their money? Why wouldn't you try to go after him contacting the enforcement agency like Interpol or local Police(by internet of fax)? It's a slim chance but why should you give up money and let the bastard get away?
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 06:11 PM   #23
Dave

As the moderator of this particular forum, I have asked around about whether or not I should allow this thread to continue, or to end it... So far, the consensus from the other moderators is to allow it to continue, but I haven't heard back from Art about it.

We had this discussion, about starting a forum to warn others of scams, previously amongst the moderators. I had been taken for a decent amount of money and I felt it was a reasonable idea. However, even though it was a reasonable idea, it still had the possibility of being a forum of defaming decent collectors, who simply had disagreements over parts of a deal.

For example, I know several members of this forum who have had disagreements -to the point of threats- with other people (including other members of the forum) that I have dealt with on a regular basis, without experiencing problems. They would probably readily post their names in a thread on 'crooked collectors', yet the actual truth was that there was a disagreement and personality conflict- not a premeditated desire to swindle another collector.

With the possibility of becoming involved in a legal battle of slander/libel, we felt that it was best not to create such a forum.

I do feel that this fellow (Vlad, Andrew, or whatever he goes by now...) does deserve special mention, since it seems that his sole desire is to swindle other collectors.

I personally lost $150 to Vlad, purchasing several small groups from him. Since I didn't know him, I started small (even though his items were way overpriced, in my opinion- I was definately not looking at deals!) I lost the money (obviously). The funny thing is that I was contacted again by him, this time as "Andrew", and he offered me one of the very same awards that I paid for earlier! Amazing.

I must note the fact that I am actually rather offended by him... I was only offered the small awards (HSL, Lenin, Nevsky, etc.) and not the Ushakov, Suvorov, etc., (stolen from the mondvor website, of course) that others were offered!

I do like the theory that Rusty and Eugene espouse... Get the goods first, then pay. Of the dealings I've had with sellers in the FSU, the legit ones will do this, and the ones that demand payment first (and these all have demanded that they be paid quickly!) tend to be more of a headache than they are worth!

--Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 10:48 PM   #24
Ed Maier

I received the same email from this person about 5 days ago with the Ushakovm Nakhimov and Khelminetsky Orders. Its funny to see how many others received it.

I would make one comment about the 1st Admendment in the US. It is not absloute and libel and slander laws exist. While you can say anything you want, consequences do exist for what you say and with the way the legal system works in this country, you will lose financialy even if you win the case morally. Lawyers are very expensive and the crazy lawsuit people know this.

Buyer beware, and please support your honest dealers (everyone wins when this happens).

Take care,
Ed M.
Ed Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 10:47 AM   #25
human

i m puzzled by the us legal considerations,i mean the way you sue someone for nearly no reason is incredible.
you that the 1st amdt allows you to speak your mind but you've got a fair chance to be taken to court and to lose even if you were right!!!!
i met someone in miami who told me that he had to take special insurances against his own employees in case something happens.that is normal! but he also said that the employee will sue the firm if he/she tripped on the wires of his/her prince eventhough he/she did plug it him/herself or thing of this kind!!!this is mad! to come back to the subject why don't you create the section and each time someone is said beeing some crook send him a mail to give him a chance to give his version . will that be contradictory with your laws?
I'll finish by saying that this kind of section is possible in europe and that you'll never (extremely rarely) be sued for that except if you are obviously diffamatory and have no proof of what you state.and if you sue without a reasonnably founded reason you be charged a fine and damages!!

But i fully undestand your point of view and agree with you that you should not do it if it implies any danger for you! but it is sad to let someone like this vlad going through and keeping on stealing honnest collectors.
human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 05:42 PM   #26
Tretov

Fraud warning

(if this thread should be placed elsewhere, feel free to move it)

I wish to send out a warning of a thief in Latvia, who have stolen merchandise from me, value 170-220 USD.

The man first appeared on eBay under the name sava81@one.lv and then changed his name to aquarel or something similar. He is now suspended from eBay (I dont know why though). If anyone wants his name and address, you can send me a Pm (unless I am allowed to post it here, just to protect other people?)

Anyway, he had some nice items listed on eBay, among them a Order of A. Nevski, two GPW orders (1st and 2nd class, both on suspension) and some other stuff. Anyway, I did not buy anything at that stage, since I had no available funds. I did, however, ask him if he could get Lenin order copies. A month later, mid march, the man mailed me and said he had 11 copies of the Lenin order. He also said, he could sell them as well as the GPW 2nd class for 300 USD total. Sounded too expensive for me, but I offered him two cellular phones instead, which he accepted. (This was my narrow luck - since I have friends in telecom business, I got the phones to a good price, reducing my loss!)
I sent the phones, we kept in touch, but suddenly his mails (which had been 2 per day) were reduced to 1 per week, and then nothing more (22 April I got the last mail) Postal records show that the package was handed out on April 9th in Riga.

The phones were gone, no order sin exchange, guess who is stupid... Well, anyway, this is not yet the end of the story. I contacted a friend in Latvia, and he investigated the thing closer. The man had not lived at the address he had given to me in three years, instead he lived in a small town close to Estonian border. My friend has contacted the Latvian police, and they are now investigating the whole thing.

Suspicious thing in this mess:
- He said in a mail "I did not send items on monday because Ive been very busy so I send them tuesday instead"
>>Why say he would send them on Tuesday instead of Monday if he wasn't going to send them anyway?

I have not recieved anything from the man, I have not heard of him since md-April, and I would now like to warn everyone, watch out!!! (I can supply his name and address by PM)

regards,
Patrik
Tretov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 06:07 PM   #27
ericlida

Patric

If you read the tread, which was posted one month ago about the Fraud, you will learn much more about our Famous Vlad. You also can get more information from different people, which might help your friend with his investigation.

Eric.
ericlida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 07:00 PM   #28
Tretov

There is only one problem with my "friend". His mail address is ... nimfo81@yahoo.com , his initials are V S and ... he is probably the same guy. I suspected it, but he said his name was Alex Sarovs or something, he gave me his "address"...

DAMN!

Shame on me...

/Patrik
Old 06-23-2003, 07:48 PM   #29
yolkin

Get this SOB!!!

Patrik,

this same guy had ripped off many members of this forum including myself (Oh yeah, I paid for the OGPW 1st and 2nd).

If the Latvian police catch this jerk, I am sure that there are quite a few folks here who may want to add to the charges (including some receipts and documentation for proof)

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 06-23-2003, 07:57 PM   #30
Tretov

Why would Latvian police do anything? Read my post again... The "friend" was no friend..!

I contacted him (colectibles_1) through eBay asking for help (I didn't know it was him then), but it was the same ugly fish I got in my net... He was the same person... Vlad Savickis

/Patrik

Last edited by Tretov; 06-23-2003 at 08:01 PM.