The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 08-12-2010, 04:07 AM   #11
Tretov

Re: Wreck of Soviet submarine S-2 found

Follow-up on the submarine S-2:
Ryska anhöriga hedrar sina döda i sprängd ubåt - �landstidningen

Translation:

Russian relatives to submarine crew to honor those lost at sea in the sunk submarine

January 3rd 1940, the soviet submarine S-2 struck a mine near Market lighthouse. All 50 aboard perished.

On tuesday, relatives to the crew members will attend to a memorial service at the place for the sinking. Two russian TV-channels will document the event.

In June last year (2009), Alandstidningen (local newspaper) spread the news that Bjorn Rosenlof and his fellow divers had found the soviet submarine S-2 in the Aland sea. Already in February, sonar images had revealed the shadows of a sunken and demolished submarine. In the early spring, dives were initiated on the wreck.

69 years had passed since the S-2 struck a finnish mine near the Market lighthouse. All 46 crew members plus the commander of the 13th submarine division, his assistant and two engineering students perished.

The S-2 had left the submarine base in Liepaja, Latvia SSR, on the January 1st 1940 carrying orders to patrol the northern baltic sea. Awaiting further instructions, S-2 waited in the Aland sea until the order to patrol further north came on January 3rd.

However - near the Market lighthouse the patrol came to and end as the S-2 struck a finnish mine and exploded. No survivors were ever found.

When the diving team found the submarine, the russian authorities were informed. Things went on, and on tuesday next week, relatives of the lost crewmembers will arrive to the Aland Isles for a memorial service at the wreck site.

The group of 17 includes relatives to the crew but also a priest and the retired submarine commander Igor Kurdin, chairman of the submariners club in S:t Petersburg. Kurdin has been the one in touch with the Aland isles authorities and gathered the relatives.

The group will be accompanied by two russian tv-teams as well as journalists from the news agency ITAR-TASS; a total of seven persons.

The memorial service will be carried out aboard the finnish borderguard vessel Uisko near the Market lighthouse. The head of the russian consulate on Aland isles, Vasilij Jakovlev as well as personnel from the russian embassy in Helsinki will attend as well. The local autonomous government will be represented by the chairman of the local parliament, mr. Roger Nordlund and the antiquarian mr. Kenneth Gustavsson. The finnish state will be represented by mr. Peter Lindback and the local commander of the borderguards, Timo Hissa. The diving team led by Bjorn Rosenlof and a swedish marine attaché, Christian Allerman, will also attend.

According to the representative of the Finnish state, mr. Peter Lindback, none of the local representatives will hold any speech nor lay down any flowers. " - We assist the relatives with a worthy and honorable ceremony", mr Lindback says.

-----

attached: Igor Kurdin. Kurdin was Executive Officer of Crew One on the K-219 from 1983 until September 1986. He lives in Russia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kurdin.jpg (15.9 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Tretov; 08-12-2010 at 04:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2011, 11:49 AM   #12
Tretov

The story goes on! Now, the submarines club in S:t Petersburg has proposed to the russian MoD that a number of people involved in finding the wreck are to be given a state award.

Fyra ålänningar föreslås få rysk försvarsmedalj - �landstidningen

Four Aland island citizens are proposed to get a russian defense medal - one declines due to political reasons

SUBMARINE It is the submariners club in S:t Petersburg who propose that four persons on the Aland Isles, representants from the authorities as well as divers, shall be honoured at a ceremony in S:t Petersburg.

The submarines club has agreed with the general-consulates of Finland and Sweden in S:t Petersburg as well as with the relatives of the fallen, to turn to the russian Ministry of Defense and propose an award to mr. Peter Lindbäck, Kennth Gustavsson, Ingvald Eckerman, Björn Rosenlöf and three more swedish divers in the diving team who found the wreck of the S-2, sunk during the war in 1940.

It was the diving club that administrated the contacts to Aland isles and gathered the relatives who participated in the memorial service this summer.

"Defenders of the Fatherland"

In a proposal to the russian ministry of defense, it is called for that the persons mentioned shall be awarded "for their great personal effort to commemorate those fallen in the defense of the Russian fatherland ..." The suggestion is that a ceremony shall be held where a medal with the text "For contribution to upkeeping the memory of the defenders of the Fatherland" shall be awarded.

The diver Björn Rosenlöf won't accept any award of it has the text as quoted above:

- "It turns into politics to me. I cannot accept an award where it is suggested that I have participated in honouring persons fighting for the Soviet Union", he says.

Important for the relatives

Museum antiquary Kenneth Gustavsson thinks the wording is "a bit too much" but still see no reasons to look for political suggestions in the formulation:
- "It is always important that relatives get to know what has happened. Let is now wait for the answer from the russian Ministry of Defense", he says.

The representant for the Finnish Government on the Aland Isles, Peter Lindbäck, states that he assisted in the transport and practical arrangements around the ceremony:

- "When, or if, I am awarded, I will contact the Ministry of Foreign affairs and check what rules and regulations that apply", he says,

The reason this question is controversial is that the fact that the Soviet Union was in an aggressive war on Finland at the time of the loss of the S-2. The submarine was part of this war.

-----------

Comments: What award do you think is in question? It seems it would be one of the official state awards and not just some veteran organization decoration.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:56 PM   #13
EricFG

I cannot imagine which one of the presumably myriad RF awards they'd get but it seems to me one of those diver's might be overracting just a tad; after all it was 70 years ago. But, he may have a personal reason to feel that way and if so I'll comment no more on the situation.
In any event good on all who helped bring some closure to the families of the fallen.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:44 AM   #14
deValcourt

I have to agree with Eric on this one. There are so many RF medals now for so many different things (great and small) that I'd be purely guessing if I even made a guess - especially since there are so many MOD awards for military and civilian personnel, and in my opinion, they have gotten out of hand and I agree that the wording is a bit much.

As for the lone holdout, it is popular right now among former republics and former adversaries to point fingers at Russia. His may be a more personal reason, as Eric pointed out, but unless he says what it is, then he's just bring another of the sheeple.

On a more historical note, it must have been awful for the families of the submariners knowing that their loved ones were most likely dead, but not knowing how or where.

Phillip

Last edited by deValcourt; 01-30-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #15
Tretov

http://www.tidningen.ax/article.con?id=25696&iPage=1

Three Aland isles citizens will receive a Russian defense medal

It is now clear that three Aland isles citizens who participated in the memorial service for the Russian submarine S2 last summer will receive a medal.

The medals will be issued on March 19th.

SUBMARINE It was the submariners club in S:t Petersburg who proposed that the medal should be issued and the receivers honored at a ceremony in S:t Petersburg. It was agreed with the next of kin to the fallen as well as the Finnish and Swedish representations in Mariehamn that the Aland citizens would be proposed for the medal.

It was hence proposed that Finnish state representative mr. Peter Lindbaeck, county antiquary mr. Kenneth Gustavsson, Ingvald Eckerman, diver Björn Rosenlöf and the three swedish divers in the team that found the sunken S2 in summer of 2009 would be honoured.

"Defenders of the Fatherland"

The nominations will be done by the russian ministry of defense and the proposal of the submariners club has been considered. In a solemn declaration, the Russian Minister of Defense Anatolij Serdjukov states that a medal will be given to mr. Peter Lindbaeck, Kenneth Gustavsson and Ingvald Eckerman for their "great personal contribute to the upkeeping of the memory for the victims of the defense of the fatherland".

The decision was made on february 21st and the medal will be issued on March 19th.
---

It will be interesting to see what award it is! I will keep you posted.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #16
latinmajorac

back to the submarine issue, it is always good to see another missing boat has been found. One of the best stories i ever heard was from a WWII submariner who believed that all missing boats and crews were "Still on Patrol"

it is nice to see this one returned home
Somehow finding money for my next medal purchase? Priceless

starving college kid: will do calculus for Medals

Newly promoted to the Deputy Kapusta Commander position
Old 03-03-2011, 06:17 AM   #17
Tretov

Another Soviet submarine found

Sänkt sovjetisk ubåt hittad utanför Gotland | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

This one is not as exciting as the S-2 though. This Whiskey class submarine was found in 2009 and while some believe it is a Soviet submarine sunk by Swedish naval forces in the early 1980s, the Swedish navy states this fellow is not even Soviet, but rather a Polish sub that certainly has not been sunk "by force" but probably sank during tow during the 1990s - since a towing cable was found on the fore deck.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #18
kameli

Here is the newest one in public.

Swedish navy informed 4th March 2011 that they found this wreck in 2009. It lays south from Gotland island it is 76 m long. This submarine is from the cold war, maybe from 1980´s, not WWII.

The Swedish authorities say that there is no reason to research it more.

There are also known WWII submarine wrecks in the Gulf of Finland. Finland´s frontier guard has found at least four if I remember right. They informed that with photos in early 1990`s but they will not tell the excatly location because some of those lay in low water and may interest the divers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg sukellusvene.jpeg (33.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #19
Tretov

http://soviet-awards.com/forum/sovie...ine-found.html

I guess these threads could be merged.

Last edited by Art; 03-06-2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Threads merged
Old 03-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #20
kameli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretov View Post

The medals will be issued on March 19th.

It will be interesting to see what award it is! I will keep you posted.
Anything new with this?