The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 05-10-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
Tommy

Unlucky.

Today, i popped into a live online auction looking for a bargin, only to find that the lot before i had got in was a lot containing the "Red Bible" and "Echoes of War".

This was pretty bad luck i told myself, shrugged my shoulders and carried on clicking...

Untill i realised that they had gone for £12... with 2 other medal books included as well.

Sickening opportunity missed!

Anyone else missed out on something and kicked themselves later?

Tommy.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
Greg Collins

Re: Unlucky.

Yep, many times. I guess that's an integral aspect of collecting when you use auction sites (and who doesn't?). Hence, the subtle art of "sniping" evolved...

Sniping is when you put in a reasonable but low end bid early on, sign in and watch the item's page close to the time it will be sold and, with about 30 seconds left, make a final bid of the top amount you'll pay and "click it in" at the very last moment. Of course you'll have to experiment based on your computer's operating speed and your connection, but it DOES work. Of course, the other guy may be sniping as well, so it will depend on whoever gets in first.

Good luck!

Last edited by Greg Collins; 05-10-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
medals73

Sadly, there are so many, it seems, who use sniping programs on their computers, that online automatic auctions (that site-not-to-be-named) are so intrinsically unfair that you only have hope with "buy it now" items or things no one else wants. Real auctions and real dealers are much better.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

I must wholeheartedly concur with Ed. Using "snipe" programmes to me is quite a "questionable" if not even somewhat immoral act in my mind. I certainly have never used one nor ever intend to - it's just not cricket!

There is nothing like a real auction. There is a real buzz in the room and the experience is quite indescribable when you go head to head with another bidder and using your highly tuned and personalised system of nods, winks and shrugs you get just what you came out for. Of course the best deals are when the auctioneer says "10, 5, couple of pounds" and you reply with "a pound" and the hammer drops. This experience is only comparable to online auctions in the way that you can purchase items (or not) and could be the same as the difference in drinking swamp water and drinking ambrosia - both wet the whistle but in very different ways.

I have personally been attending real auctions for as long as I can remember and even before that too. I started bidding (and purchasing) whilst attending auctions alone at the age of 7 or 8 and after the rather old dealers once got used to the fact that I wasn't just a "cute kid spending pocket money" I had some very fun rivalry. As you all know how "organised" I like to be I also have every since hand written invoice from every auction I've ever purchased from filed away - some of the prices are truly mind blowing. I have created and obtained a certain presence at the local auctions, many folks know if I am bidding on furniture not to bother. I have frequently put an axe to a piece right where it stands and thrown it into the wagon to be used as firewood. This of course is a good distraction from a really fine piece of furniture when I start bidding on it as the locals instantly think it is only good for firewood and leave it alone. I may say I'm taking it home to burn it but I'm not a heathen! I've even bought a chair to sit down during bidding at the start of an auction (for $1 or £1) only to take it home to burn after it has served its purpose.

It is due to the rush and feel of the real auction that I have a farm absolutely stuffed with all sorts of everything and very frequently get lumbered with far more than I can travel with when touring. Then again like with anything else don't buy what you can't afford. Television programmes like bargain hunt and other space filling television programmes gave people auction fever some years ago and people just wanted to buy at auction, leading to some ultra inflated prices. Fortunately that fad has passed and the very best thing about auctions is you never know what you will find or how far your money will stretch.

If you've never been to a real auction - give it a try! If you see someone chopping up furniture for firewood wait until I put the axe down to talk to me.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
Tommy

Yea, i think that the site that shall not be named pretty much disheartens me everytime i look at it.

It's nice to know that there are some awesome people on here though that are nice enough to take their time with me and show me what they have for sale. Puts a bit of faith back in it all for me!

Even on here though, some stuff was listed yesterday and was bought before i even had chance to click on it! haha.

Tommy
Old 05-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
Auke

All those snipers may have slightly reduced the fun of participating in eBay auctions, but it's not immoral. Let's be realistic: if you were outbid it simply means that your maximum bid wasn't high enough and that someone else was willing to pay more than you. If you enter the absolute maximum you are willing to pay and are outbid, why be angry? That's just how the system works. If you were outbid at an earlier moment, would you really have bid more?

That said, there's nothing better than a real-life auction. I attended a few over the years and it was a terrific experience.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

I'm never angry at auction results. A final price is a final price if you win or not.

My mother used to have a strange way of bidding... when she REALLY REALLY wanted something she would wait until the very last moment to bid, in fact the moment was 9 times out of 10 after the hammer had dropped. Brilliant if you don't like spending any money! She would usually come away rather frustrated too.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
EricFG

The good thing about ebay is there will be something new and cool there every day.
It's also a great time-waster.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

If you need to kill some time there is always podvignaroda.ru !
Old 05-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
andrew6767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auke View Post
All those snipers may have slightly reduced the fun of participating in eBay auctions, but it's not immoral. Let's be realistic: if you were outbid it simply means that your maximum bid wasn't high enough and that someone else was willing to pay more than you. If you enter the absolute maximum you are willing to pay and are outbid, why be angry? That's just how the system works. If you were outbid at an earlier moment, would you really have bid more?
I couldnt agree more.I always use Auction Sniper if its something I really want. All I have to do is enter the amount I am prepared to pay and it bids with 3 seconds (or whatever I state) to go.

I see nothing immoral about it, its simply smarter bidding. You are not running up the price of the item by placing bids through out the auction, nor are you running the risk of engaging in a personal bidding war with someone.

At the end of the day, you have your limit and if your limit isnt high enough you lose. Its the same for everyone.

Greg Collins, if you are doing it manually with 30 seconds to go you will be losing a lot of auctions.

Last edited by CtahhR; 05-10-2012 at 06:09 PM.