The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Soviet Sphere > People's Republic Of The Congo

People's Republic Of The Congo République Populaire Du Congo 31st December 1969 - 15th March 1992

Old 03-26-2003, 06:53 PM   #1
Nota Bene

Identification For A Soviet.

Gentlemen,

Here's an interesting document - a pass to a Congo Airforce Base, issued to Yuri Temnikov in 1976.

Alexei
Attached Images
File Type: jpg temp.jpg (47.0 KB, 126 views)
Nota Bene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2003, 06:56 PM   #2
Tal Inbar

Alexei,

Do you have other documents of that person? Was he served in some interesting units?

And how he got the chance of leaving the CCCP?
Old 03-26-2003, 07:01 PM   #3
Nota Bene

Tal,

I just found it in one of my boxes, don't even know where I got it. Sorry :( My guees is that this guy was either a Soviet pilot-instructor, a military advisor of some sort, or a construction worker.

Alexei
Nota Bene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 04:11 AM   #4
otlichnik

The man's job is listed as "cooperant". In French this means volunteer and the dictionary (Le Robert) definition is "as in Peace Corps".

Soviet peace corps??? Likely "military advisor" helping Patrice Lumbumba.

Shawn
otlichnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 09:07 PM   #5
zvezdah

Hi,
Actually taht id is for congo brazzaville, not congo kinshasa (which was former belgian congo). And Lumumba was executed ca. 65
Chris Smith
zvezdah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 09:56 AM   #6
charlet

If I can help you, let me translate into english:

people's republic of Congo (it is the former french Congo, nothing to do with Zaire (Mobutu!), former belgian Congo)

national people's army

air base 170 - ACCESS PASS nr 720

Name and first name
date and birth location
nr of the identitu card or of the act of birth
working location: air base 01/20
employment: volunteer, helping worker

sign of the unity commander: captain Mafouta D, commander of the air base 01/20

this mr temnikov should be an advisor, as many chances as a military advisor as a civil advisor (ex construction). Difficult to say because in 1976 France was still extremly present in african affairs
(a kind of containment against the soviets in Africa in the former empire zone).
charlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 12:57 AM   #7
mcwirsk

Dear Guys

I have traveled a lot in this area (and still do). Brazaville is just on the other side of the river from Kinshasa.

Once I was caught on plan that "changed direction", a common occurance and I was stuck for 4 hours on the runway at Brazaville on my way up to Quesso. There was a company of para's siting around and a few "comercial" planes. As I am always interested in planes I went to investigate. There was a small Yak 12 (I think) and I went to say hello. 2 Russians on board, a pilot and an engineer. Both were wearing old soviet wings!! and old soviet ID cards. Eveyone wears an ID card in this area. They were dressed like comercial airline pilots today so it was strange to see these wings and ID cards. Clearly with their red stars. They were very friendly as I carried the customary welcome bottle. Spoke a a liitle broken English and told me they were ex soviet airforce guys who had been stuck there for 10 years. They had managed to get jobs flying for a "comercial airline". They did not want to talk more about this. Both Congos have been fighting for a long time and nobody discusses these thing unless you know who you are talking to. I tried to get a picture becuase of their wings but this was not allowed.

I did disover that they were taking the para's up north.

There are a lot of ex Soviet planes (converted military stuff) in the area. Some are just scrapped on the runways but many are flying comercially. Most are complete with Russian crews. They keep to themselves have very little money and its common to see them sleeping and living in their planes. Its possible for cash USD to hire them.

Thought I would share this with all.

Kind regards

Munroe
mcwirsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 04:21 AM   #8
otlichnik

Zvezdah/Chris,

Thanks for the reality check on my "facts". That's what you get for being hasty ;)

Shawn
otlichnik is offline   Reply With Quote