The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Soviet Sphere > Mongolian People's Republic

Mongolian People's Republic Бүгд Найрамдах Монгол Ард Улс 26th November 1924 - 13th February 1992

Old 07-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Bob

What's up with Mongolian awards collecting?

Awfully quiet - not much coming out of Mongolia anymore and not much being sold in the West either.

Any progress on archives / research?

I'd highlight two items which I think are good deals for any people considering starting Mongolia collecting:
1) On Nota Bene's site there's an Uighur script Polar Star for sale for 250USD (for a loooong time). Probably last chance to get one at that price!
2) On New Jersey dealer site the 4.5K USD for a gold Soyombo is - I think - not an unreasonable price (only 400 or so awarded!)
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Re: What's up with Mongolian awards collecting?

Both the Polar Stars I posted cost me less than $30 each.... (within the last 4 years).

There used to be lots of speculation that these awards would be as desirable as Soviet combat awards. They are not...

Mongolia like Bulgaria or any other communist nation you wish to mention awarded most awards as long service or commemoratives.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:37 AM   #3
Bob

If these were Uighur script Polar Stars, then you clearly got an excellent deal.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Unfortunately not. A screwback and pinback.
All the jubilee medals and badges obtained (dozens) were all in a single digit dollar range. The type 1 Halhingol badge lacking screwplate in the collection was free.
As with anything else good things come to those who wait. Waiting for the right price can pay off. The collection would be considerably smaller if items were not still available for reasonable prices.

I certainly wouldn't pay thousands for a labour title.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtahhR View Post
Unfortunately not. A screwback and pinback.
All the jubilee medals and badges obtained (dozens) were all in a single digit dollar range. The type 1 Halhingol badge lacking screwplate in the collection was free.
As with anything else good things come to those who wait. Waiting for the right price can pay off. The collection would be considerably smaller if items were not still available for reasonable prices.

I certainly wouldn't pay thousands for a labour title.
A month or two ago I acquired a Soyombo for less than the current one on sale in NJ, but I still see the NJ one as reasonable.

In Mongolian collecting, waiting may have been a half bad / half good strategy... there are a lot of rare items in my collection which I've have never had if I had waited... and they are not coming on the market now anymore, regardless almost of what people are looking to pay. Common items will always be there in high volume, rare items are often "get 'm while you can". Take the example of the recent old style state security badge... cost me quite a bit, but still reasonable considering it's rarity. Not buying it and waiting for a better deal would have been equivalent of accepting that i'd never have one in my collection because they are just extremely difficult to find at ANY price.

If you are collecting for 'volume' it's a different matter of course.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Разведка

I'm actually awaiting receipt of a Mongolian 60 Years Internal Security Service badge. Nice looking piece - hopefully it hold up when it gets here.
Разведка is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
Urnuh

The good thing about collecting Mongolian awards is that you can succeed in collecting most of the orders and medals issued. But you have to try hard and be a bit patient. The reward is that you get an impressive collection of high-quality mostly Soviet made orders and medals. Relatively low number of orders and medals manufactured at the first place add to the rarity of the items in your collection. For example, the most widely awarded order in Mongolia-Order of Polar Star is less than 30.000 (Soviet mint) and if you break them into classifications, you get even smaller numbers. The same can be said about the medals. The common Mongolian People's anniversary medals were in most cases minted at Soviet Mints and did not exceed 30.000 in total produced numbers. Even the Mongolian badges, provided that they are still available, can be collected to an impressive 50-60% (soviet period).

Last edited by Urnuh; 08-02-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Urnuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
Pravda

Most honorable Mongolian fans,

I have to agree whole-heartedly with Urnukh on this topic. He has been helping me build my collection since 2011 and for all of that help I extremely grateful. Over the years I have come to cherish my Mongolian collection just as much as my Soviet collection.

The Mongolian market seems to offer a collector an excellent opportunity to collect more orders and medals on the whole. The quality of the orders is obviously on-par with Soviet examples, since they shared the same point of origin for most of their history. They also have great history, which I only wish we could unlock at the archives. I think collecting WWII-issue Mongolian decorations is just as exciting as collecting Soviet WWII issue decorations. Additionally, there were far less of these awards produced and issued, so you are acquiring a more rare item. I have many items in my collection that were only produced 1000 times.

I also think that prices have been maintaining over the years, if not going up. I think the Mongolian prices have been less volatile than Soviet ones in many cases. I just sold a T2V2 Order of the Polar Star for $550, which is lower than some dealers are offering. This allowed me to upgrade to an even better example, in this case a T2V1. Bob was right that Alexi's T2 OPS was a pretty good find and it recently sold as well. While a e$%^ is probably not a perfect indicator of market-value, Mongolian orders have been selling for high prices at auction. There was a documented Order of the Red Banner of Combat Valor (T3, #1772) that sold for well over $600 and just recently an Order of Combat Valor (T2, #3126) for $474. In the past year, the cheapest T2 OPS that sold on e$%^ was also well over $400.

Cheers,
Will

PS-If anyone is looking at letting go any Mongolian items, be sure to shoot me a PM. I might be interested! :D
Pravda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
deValcourt

I agree with most of what was said above about Mongolian collecting - quality over quantity any day. Have a look at my avatar. It is #664 and one of my favorite and hardest-to-get pieces of my collection. Workmanship (Moscow) is phenomenal.

Phillip
Old 02-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #10
Bob

Would add one more thing to the very valid points raised earlier: the photographs that can be found (either through research or - when lucky - also direct in the award document) to go along with some of the Mongolian awards are often outstanding. It may sound a bit odd, but I find that the Mongolian faces depicted on these photographs really spark the imagination of what could be behind it in terms of the life these people lived, what they've done to be awarded the specific order or medal, etc. - it's the old "a picture can tell more than a thousand words" point, and only strengthens the patience for those of us who are long term Mongolia collectors and also willing to wait however long it may take to eventually get some research becoming available. Patience is required, but I've found collecting Mongolian awards to be very, very rewarding.