The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 03-14-2008, 05:59 PM   #21
DougD

Tereshkova

Thanks Willie, thats interesting...if anyone has a photo of her in her uniform of a Major General it would be great to see...DougD
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2008, 05:43 PM   #22
ibaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie777 View Post
Not during wartime, but FYI, according to Wikipedia, Valentina Tereshkova was a Major General of the Soviet Air Force... (Not sure whether that equals a General-Major or General-Lieutenant)
That would be general-major, the one-star rank.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #23
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Re: Womens Rank in WWII

Here's a rather well-decorated (and well-fed) lieutenant colonel.

Additionally, I read that the first Soviet woman in space was promoted to general-major.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0036.JPG (101.5 KB, 45 views)
Old 05-23-2008, 12:39 AM   #24
Synthesis

While looking at a download of the Victory Day 2008 Parade, I do recall seeing an elderly woman with colonel's rank boards and Army insignia--she looked old enough to be a veteran of the war, but I can't say for certain.

I do remember she had three stars, and was waving excitedly at the camera. I'll try and get a screencap.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:00 AM   #25
Lapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by desantnik View Post
...Additionally, I read that the first Soviet woman in space was promoted to general-major.
Paul,

It seems that you get some well traveled news where you are hiding

Valentina Tereshkova was named Airforce General-Major in 1997, as she was retiring from the Armed Forces. As of today, she remains the one and only woman to ever hold the rank of General in the Russian Army.

By the way, this may explain why there are no official pictures of her wearing a general's uniform.

Marc
Old 05-24-2008, 12:29 AM   #26
vvadim

Highest ranking female in history of USSR was Aleksandra Kolontay who in 1943 was promoted to the rank of "Chrezvychainiy i Polnomochniy Posol" (Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Ambassador) to some extent equal to four star general.

For few years Faina Nurina acted as state prosecutor of RSFSR, rank somewhat equal to two star general.

In 1935 Aleksandra Andreeva-Gorbunova and Mariana Gerasimova both were promoted to “major of state security”, rank somewhere near one star general.
Maria Costa had rank “brigade commissar” and serve in border guard troops and Maria Poppe had the same rank and serve in internal troops. “Brigade commissar” is a rank of political personnel above colonel.

In 1991 right before Soviet Union collapsed Galina Smirnova head of section 12 in KGB was promoted to general-major. Technically she is only female in USSR who received rank general-major.

In the army Valentina Grizodubova was first female who received rank “colonel” in 1943. Second female who was promoted to such rank was Valentina Nikolaeva-Tereshkova in 1970. Marina Popovich famous test-pilot received rank “engineer-colonel”.
In 1955 Ludmila Kalinina upon retirement received honoree title “colonel of tank’s troops retired”.

Four females in history of Soviet Union were promoted to the rank of colonel of medical services.

In post Soviet Union Valentina Tereshkova (Указ Президента РФ №458 от 05.05.1995) received “general-major of aviation”.
In modern day Russia two female generals serving now in Ministry of Internal Affairs and five others in different ministries and departments like Customs, Extreme Situation etc.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:43 AM   #27
Lapa

Vvadim,

Thank you for the detailed information, always interesting and broad encompassing

Marc
Old 05-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #28
Synthesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvadim View Post
In 1991 right before Soviet Union collapsed Galina Smirnova head of section 12 in KGB was promoted to general-major. Technically she is only female in USSR who received rank general-major.
That's extremely interesting, if accurate--I'm in no position to debunk it, but there's so little evidence of actual general-rank KGB officers (photographs, etc.).

It's a shame we don't have a service photo of her, or anything like that.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:20 AM   #29
Lapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthesis View Post
That's extremely interesting, if accurate...
Synthesis,

If someone would know, it definitely is Vvadim He may even be able to come up with either pictures or scans of the original Ukaz...

Marc
Old 05-24-2008, 05:33 PM   #30
Tretov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthesis View Post
That's extremely interesting, if accurate--I'm in no position to debunk it, but there's so little evidence of actual general-rank KGB officers (photographs, etc.).

It's a shame we don't have a service photo of her, or anything like that.
There were general rank KGB officers; for example, I owned the uniform+photo group of General-Lieutnant V.I. Petrov of the Belarus SSR KGB for a while.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 113379513.jpg (51.0 KB, 26 views)