The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

View Poll Results: Should we have an Imperial Russian Section on the Forum?
DA! Let's see some of those Imperial items! 17 42.50%
NYET! Let's keep it to the red stars only! 11 27.50%
Maybe, but not right now... 12 30.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2004, 01:54 PM   #21
Chuck In Oregon

I would prefer a separate web site and forum for Imperial awards and items. I have looked for one, with zero success. I confess that I do not have the drive to create and maintain one myself, although I have given it some thought. It is a very demanding job. Having said that, I would enjoy a forum or sub-forum on Imperial Russia right here on our forum.

Chuck In Oregon
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2004, 02:46 PM   #22
new world

Colleagues,

My vote is DA.

Personal preferences aside, some Imperial awards had respected place in the Soviet honor's hierarchy. Certain awards (ie soldier's St George crosses) were allowed to be worn during Soviet times.

Many of Soviet heroes were descorated with Tsarist awards on the battlefields on WWI - Marshals Budenniy, Tukhachevsky, etc.

Full Cavaliers of St George crosses were honored with no less respect than Glory Cavaliers.

Regards,
William

BTW, the current tally seems to be in favor of inclding Imperial awards:

DA! Let's see some of those Imperial items! - 14
NYET! Let's keep it to the red stars only! - 10
Maybe, but not right now... - 12
Old 12-28-2004, 02:48 PM   #23
Tal Inbar

William,

You forgot that the democracy of the forum, as well as "People's wishes" is limited.... and in Soviet style!
Old 12-28-2004, 03:57 PM   #24
dannybou

There seems to be some controversy in this. I must apologize for bringing this thread back to the surface. I had no ill intentions. I was simply wondering where to obtain information in a forum environment as I just bought a group of St-George's Orders with a few accompanying medals and was curious about them, like sizes, awarded for what deeds, prices and of course if I got dupped and bought fakes!! I have a french website which is exhaustive on Imperial Russia awards, but there is no forum of experts. If I may, I wouldn't mind a sub-forum in the Warsaw pact countries section, but that's just me. Again, please accept my apologies.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:21 PM   #25
Art
Forum Founder

Dannybou,

We can try it, but I don't think it will generate nearly the quantity of information we've all seen in the Soviet groups. Let's also limit this to awards only. No swords, flags, uniforms, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybou
There seems to be some controversy in this. I must apologize for bringing this thread back to the surface. I had no ill intentions. I was simply wondering where to obtain information in a forum environment as I just bought a group of St-George's Orders with a few accompanying medals and was curious about them, like sizes, awarded for what deeds, prices and of course if I got dupped and bought fakes!! I have a french website which is exhaustive on Imperial Russia awards, but there is no forum of experts. If I may, I wouldn't mind a sub-forum in the Warsaw pact countries section, but that's just me. Again, please accept my apologies.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:04 PM   #26
HuliganRS

Even with awards only, most Orders were made by private jewelers, hence we would need someone with years of experience to moderate and give oppinions...

It's a good idea though since some Soviet awards were based on Imperial awards.

Rusty.
Member #193

Last edited by HuliganRS; 12-29-2004 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:15 AM   #27
new world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
Dannybou,

We can try it, but I don't think it will generate nearly the quantity of information we've all seen in the Soviet groups. Let's also limit this to awards only. No swords, flags, uniforms, etc..

Great!

I think this will be the first English-speaking forum on the web to cover Russian Imperial awards.

William

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuliganRS
... we would need someone with years f experience to moderate nd give oppinions...

Rusty.
Some of the forum members are notable experts in Imperial awards.

Not sure if they'll agree to volunteer time to moderating the section.

Last edited by CtahhR; 09-12-2013 at 02:39 AM.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:01 AM   #28
Art
Forum Founder

I'd like nothing more than to see a very active Imperial section. Personally, I know nothing about Imperial awards other than the few I have seen were beautiful and the craftsmanship really had to be seen to be appreciated. If alot of effort is seen being put forth into it I would consider moving it into the main forum and expanding it to include other areas. But it would really have to shine on its own and look great with a robust amount of information. Moderator consideration for this new area might be a bit premature, but we sure could use some of our experts to get the new group off to a good start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new world
Some of the forum members are notable experts in Imperial awards.

Not sure if they'll agree to volunteer time to moderating the section.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:11 PM   #29
HuliganRS

I know who William is refering to, but don't see those experts online too often.

I do vote yes to the section.

Rusty.
Member #193
Old 01-01-2005, 09:22 PM   #30
Chuck In Oregon

I've got a good number of medals and orders and jetons, not to mention a few groups and a couple of personal WW I photo albums that I would be very happy to share on an Imperial forum ... and a whole lot of questions to ask. I'm hoping that you can find a qualified moderator. The Soviet forum moderators have set the bar pretty high.

Chuck In Oregon