The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Soviet Sphere > Mongolian People's Republic

Mongolian People's Republic Бүгд Найрамдах Монгол Ард Улс 26th November 1924 - 13th February 1992

Old 12-29-2010, 07:54 AM   #11
Urnuh

Re: Mongolian Security Service Badges

Deputy Chief of the Political Department of the Mongolian People's Army Division Commissar Batmunkh Amarsaikhan pictured in 1939. He wears the Type 1, Order of the Polar Star and the Honorary Badge of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the MPR.

Amarsaikhan was promoted by Choibalsan a year before to head the Army Political Department. There were many reasons for such a move: 1) Amarsaikhan was one of the talented Interior Ministry officers who was up to the job (the predecessors were purged); 2) He was loyal to Choibalsan at least then; 3) He was an Interior Ministry guy to help Choibalsan control the Army; 4) He was from the same province Choibalsan was born, etc. However, he did dare to disagree with Choibalsan on a number of issues related to the army combat and political preparedness and ended up purged in May 1939. Luckily he escaped the execution sentence and was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Interestingly, his position, the Deputy Chief of Army Political Department, was taken over by Jamyan Lhagvasuren who was summoned from the Soviet Union in 1939. Lhagvasuren was luckier: he was not purged, he rose to the position of the Minister of Defense in 1960s, became the Colonel General and was ultimately bestowed the title of the Hero of the MPR in 1989 (posthumously).

The history does not accept the term "IF" but it is definite that Amarsaikhan could achieve more for he was not purged.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amarsaikhan edited.jpg (117.8 KB, 18 views)
Urnuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #12
medals73

Somewhat off topic, but since Lhagvasuren has been mentioned, here is an interesting article on him from the Mongol Messenger. I'm sorry to say I didn't record the date. :o
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LR.jpg (101.8 KB, 19 views)
medals73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:04 AM   #13
Urnuh

Hero of the Mongolian People’s Republic Colonel of Border Troops Putsagiin Chogdon was bestowed the title of the Hero in 1971 for the excellent command of his border patrol unit during the war against Japanese invaders in 1939. He was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Combat Valor (Type 1) and the Order of the Polar Star (Type 1) for the bravery and heroism displayed in numerous clashes with the Japanese forces and successful raids to the rear supplies of the enemy. In 1942, he was awarded the Honorary Badge of the Ministry of Internal Affairs. Many of his subordinates (border guard soldiers from his unit) were awarded the orders and the Badges of the Ministry of Internal Affairs in 1939. A few of them were awarded the Badges of the Ministry of Internal Affairs twice. It was not surprising to find out that the Badge of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, although just a badge, was considered and respected almost equal to an order.

Below is the photo of Colonel P. Chogdon taken early 1980s. The serial numbers of his orders including the Gold Star Medal of the Hero of the MPR is listed in my book. More bio details on this remarkable person will be posted if there is an interest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chogdon hero.jpg (112.2 KB, 29 views)
Old 04-07-2011, 07:13 AM   #14
Urnuh

A Mongolian with early awards

An interesting photo of a Mongolian wearing the Type1, Order of the Red Banner of Military/Combat Valor and .....?

Can anyone identify the order/badge next to Mongolian Red Banner? Is it a Soviet Republican order?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 76.jpg (118.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 04-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #15
deValcourt

Re: A Mongolian with early awards

All I can say (besides cool photo:thumbsup) is that the second award is not Soviet. Most Mongolian screwback are almost always a good bit larger than any of the Soviet types.

Phillip
Old 04-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #16
Pobeda45

It could be one of the Soviet Republican Labor awards. The Republican awards in general were sizable, here's a photo of Budenny with a BNMAU Red Banner, Azerbajan Red Banner, and Uzbekistan Red Banner of Labor.
Here are also some photos of Republican Red Banners of Combat:
Azerbaijan, Armenia, Georgia, and Khorezm.

George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg budenny.jpg (67.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg redbanners_01.jpg (61.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg redbanners_02.jpg (45.3 KB, 14 views)
Pobeda45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:44 PM   #17
deValcourt

I thought about that too, but I don't know enough about the republican RBs and RBLs (I don't know anything about them or even really what I was looking at when I saw some in the Hermitage and the Kremlin a long time ago). It's sad, because I've never seen one with my own eyes again.:thumbsdown

But, George could very well be right.:)

Phillip
Old 04-08-2011, 01:31 AM   #18
Lapa

George,

That was my first thought, but none fit the bill.

Marc
Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #19
Urnuh

Soviet badge? to a Mongolian

Dear forum members,

I have this photo: A Mongolian officer in 1930s wearing a Mongolian Order of the Red Banner of Combat Valor and most interestingly a badge that does not look familiar to me. Is it a Soviet badge? If so, what badge is it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4261 copy.jpg (34.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #20
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Re: Soviet badge? to a Mongolian

Can you magnify the picture of the badge in question?
desantnik is offline   Reply With Quote