The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the database?
Yes, I would donate to the creation of the databse 16 69.57%
The databese is a great idea but I don't want to donate 5 21.74%
I don't think we need this database 0 0%
Not sure. I want to see what others say 1 4.35%
Maybe... 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2005, 12:37 AM   #1
HuliganRS

S/N Database Thread

Fellow forum members

Some members suggested that we revive the Serial Number Database Project.
Art has mentioned that it's not a problem of creating it, it's the financial aspect of the project.

So here's your chance to voice your oppinion!

Tell us if you are willing to donate to the cause and what fields/information you'd like to see in this database.

Thanks!

Rusty.
Member #193
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2005, 01:01 AM   #2
Dante688i

A Members Database

First off. . .

Rusty - thanks for setting up the new thread and poll! I hope they encourage some good discussion on this topic!

Secondly,

While I don't know all the specific features and aspects that I would like to see in such a database, or even what method would be most effective - I think it could be a worthwhile project and I personally would be willing to donate to it!

My first thoughts on the usefullness of such a database involve the accessibility of ranges of serial numbers for awards, beyond what is available in current reference materials. This could aid in research and authentication by providing a range of serial numbers as well as specific numbers in members collections (you'd know there was a problem if another member already listed an Order of Lenin with the same serial number as a piece you recently acquired).

Beyond that, I simply think it would be interesting project that could benefit collectors, researchers, and anyone trying to get a better understanding of the hobby! Depending on what we wanted, I think the database could be as simple as a list of orders and serial numbers, or as encompassing as we dare make it.

As I was not active on the forum when the first database was up, I'm unsure about the features it sported or how much it was utilized.

I just think that if we concur that such a project is interesting enough to undertake, it could provide a lot of benefits! What does everyone else think?

Just my (long-winded) two cents,

- Sean
Old 11-07-2005, 07:17 AM   #3
Alfred

In my oppinion, a serial number data base only provides additional benefit/advantages, when the target of the data base is to bring devided groups together.

So, there must be a data base with the awards (serial number and name), which are owned by forum members

and

there must be a data base, which awards are needed to complete a group.

maybe the same with documents

best regards
Andreas

Last edited by Alfred; 11-07-2005 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:05 AM   #4
dannybou

I'm for it as well and would support it financialy as well.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:30 PM   #5
sovvisor
Bearer of the Red Star

like the idea

i´ve been looking all over for an order of lenin and an ogpw 1st class for a SMERSH group i own.would love to see it compleate again.
best
Old 11-07-2005, 02:36 PM   #6
medalklector

I think it's a fantastic idea. I have donated in the past to show my appreciation of this site, so depending on the amount requested I may not want to donate again :-( . I hope that doesnt sound to harsh.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:05 PM   #7
HuliganRS

No problem.

That's why we are asking if the members are willing to donate to this project.

If the project costs $600 and we have 6 members willing to donate then it's not financially viable to have 6 people pay $100.
On the other hand, if we have 30 members interested, it's only going to cost $20

The $600 is just an example. Art would know the ballpark figure for such project.

Keep voting!

Thanks!

Rusty.
Member #193
Old 11-07-2005, 03:54 PM   #8
Christophe

I vote Yes!
As already said, I'm ready to financially contribute to this database.

This said, now, we need to define it.
Very quickly (I could elaborate later...), I think this database has to bring additional information to the ones already available in books (including the recent ones : HSU, Glory)...

This means that we certainly have to get the approval and contribution of our experts (Alexei, William, Alex...) to give added value to this future database. What do they think ? Would they be OK to participate ?

Moreover, could Art get some contribution from our world-known expert, Paul (McDaniel) ?

I find the project more than interesting. And again, I'm ready to contribute. Now, if the consensus is there, let's define it...

Cheers.

Ch.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:39 PM   #9
Art
Forum Founder

Alfred,

I applaud your vision. One thing for everyone to keep in mind (I don't mean to dampen everyone's enthusiasm, just want to be realistic) is that the chances of re-uniting a group such as an Order of the Red Star ( with millions of specimens ) with an Order of the Red Banner ( with hundreds of thousands of specimens ) with a Medal for Combat Service ( millions of specimens ) would depend more on luck, perhaps along the magnitude of winning a national lottery, than by using this database.
However, several factors exist that would greatly increase the chances of getting a hit. First would be the proximity of the people who purchased a split group to the SND. To clarify, say a New York dealer split a group up and two people (who also happened to be members of this forum) were the buyers. Odds are the group will be re-united if both enter their awards into the SND. Second, as the rarity of the award increases, the chances greatly increased of getting a "hit". I think very realistic situation could be the re-uniting of an award such as an R5 first class order with another R5 first class order.

However for the guy who wants to reunite a Red Star he bought on EBay 5 years ago, I think he might not have much success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred
In my oppinion, a serial number data base only provides additional benefit/advantages, when the target of the data base is to bring devided groups together.

So, there must be a data base with the awards (serial number and name), which are owned by forum members

and

there must be a data base, which awards are needed to complete a group.

maybe the same with documents

best regards
Andreas

If this ever got off the drawing board, I think the main focus should be re-uniting groups. This could be done by keying off of the document number. Ownership really doesn't need to be addressed because if there is a hit which has more than one entry, the number that was entered most recently obviously is the current owner. In any event, all hits would be reported to anyone on the hit list. There would have to be a way of keeping ones identity publicly private, with instructions to post a public message in the forum for all on the hit list to reveal themselves.

The other information that I tried to keep track of in the old database was really pointless. The ultimate goal of the SND can be trimmed away to this:

Enter number, if number is wanted report it, otherwise keep the number on file.

If all energy and work could be concentrated on that specific task, something nice could be done.

Art
Old 11-07-2005, 06:00 PM   #10
HuliganRS

Art,

What would you expect this project (price) to run?

Thanks!

Rusty.
Member #193