The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-29-2017, 10:38 PM   #25
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Re: Do you accumulate?

Well the last two and a half years have been eventful. Prices of awards and research have fallen and with the millions of Soviet awards out there there is never a shortage of those available to purchase.

I was very content with 25 researched Soviet awards two and a half years ago... although I wasn't very happy about having researchable awards on hand that were not yet researched. With the substantial drop in research costs and new contacts I have been able to research all researchable Soviet awards in the collection (although I only research those I have had in hand - just so there are no errors - there are 65 of those piled up awaiting my inspection). That very respectable figure of 25 has now become 365. With only 11 military awards coming back "not found" (although most if not all of those will be found later this year when I get access to the NKVD/GB archives). There are also 8 new arrivals that I'm waiting to hear back on.

With the higher number of researched awards comes far more option to find the surprising and usual tales. Almost every role has been uncovered. The Balloon Observer, Fighter Pilot, Medic, Mariner, Naval Infantry, Driver, Telephonist, Tankist, Baker, Cook, Machinegunner, Desk Jockey, Typesetter, Carpenter, Tailor, Sapper, Listener, SMERSH Operative, Accountant, Typist, Oiler, Armourer, Rifleman, Mortarist, Gunner, Loader, Navigator, Folk Singer, Musician, Radioist, Doctor and all the other occupations and trades of the Red Arm And Navy.

With each researched award being unique I don't know if it can really be called hoarding although there certainly is a pile accumulating. The researched awards sections of the forum are certainly getting padded out. I've not posted everything I've got to post yet but as and when I can I will, including all available information (names, serial numbers, etc.) to further assist other collectors and researchers.

Whilst I've been offering a research service (which is less around 6 months now) I have processed over 1,000 requests by serial number which suggests to me very strongly that a lot of people that have been sitting on a lot of awards for some time have just been waiting for the right price to research. This very much reinforces the fact that we have some very high quality collectors using the forum who are more interested in the historical value of what they have collected than speculation or profits.

For those who have not started researching their own piles there is no better time than now to research. The archives are regaining their flow after the Christmas/New Year break.